How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Terri9630 :LOL:at football player protecting the canner and what a great bargain :) and I would have snavelled it for that too. Speaking of that DH when we found our complete barely used easiyo yoghurt maker in an op shop for $1 he had it clasped like a footy player under his arm and holding it with the other hand too and wasn't letting it go for anyone. I think it was only there as it was on a top shelf that only someone about 6' could have possibly reached the back of the shelf to get it. They are $22 each to buy on special here for a new one :eek:.

He was not so keen on op shopping before but now he sees my reasoning behind it as he has picked up quite a few things for him such as music CD's for .50 c each too. I have converted him :woo hoo:.

Reviewing what @MoBookworm1957 said as it is true I will count us to being on day 4 without spending any money today as it was free money he earned. We take fuel and spray costs out of each gardening job DH does and that gets put separately to cover replacing the gardening equipment fuel, cords, oils and sprays he uses too.

Just a heads up - - pork futures are going way up. That could mean pork will be rising. Everyone might want to stock up a little.

hogs.png

I just went to the new grocery store.
I got a BOGO on pork roasts
a BOGO on bread
Digital coupon on ground turkey and ground pork
Digital coupon on herbal teas
a free 35 pack of spring water
boxes of pastas for .77 each
celery for 2/$3

total savings using store card and coupons of $36

Spent $300 on a jig and router so I can save $20 milling my own AR lower. :D

Only 14 more lowers and you break even. ;)
You may be able to rent it out for $50 and make a profit!

Store across the river is having meat sale this weekend.
10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters for 49 cents a pound.
Will be picking up 3 or 4 bags break down start filling the chest freezer.
Folgers coffee for less than $5 will be picking several of those too.
Will put several in the chest freezer.
10 pounds of potatoes for less than $ 2.59

Went to a school fete today and bought a secondhand breadmaker that looks hardly used for $5, a surplus secondhand army jacket for $10 and a new suede leather hat for $10 for me saving $262.80 over buying new or secondhand.

We will use the second breadmaker to make jam in as quite often we are making a loaf of bread and doing jam so needed two of them.

Busted today and back to day 1 again.

Haven't been anywhere, so not spending money.
My oldest son reminded me yesterday, I was suppose to be emptying the freezer not filling it for the move in Oct.
I really think I could get it emptied by the end of Sept.
It's about 3/4 of the way full.
Need to go through and do another inventory of what's in there.
The meat sale doesn't end till Tuesday, so I'm good.
Started old vegetable seeds(2009,2010,2011,2012) just to see if they were any good.
Have approx. 40 tomato seedlings up about 3 inches tall, sort of scraggly looking.
1 pepper plant so far I think it's Banana pepper.
Planted bell peppers too from old seeds 2008.

Stocked my freezer with beef roasts, thin sausages, chicken legs, chicken thigh cutlets, crumbed chicken patties and frozen fish fillets.
I also stocked up on a lot of frozen broccoli and frozen mixed veggies, butter and cheese.
This came to $312.60 and hopefully I won't have to shop for another 3 months.

This next bill cycle will be brutal with car rego and electricity bills due.

Haven't been anywhere, so not spending money.
My oldest son reminded me yesterday, I was suppose to be emptying the freezer not filling it for the move in Oct.
I really think I could get it emptied by the end of Sept.
It's about 3/4 of the way full.
Need to go through and do another inventory of what's in there.
The meat sale doesn't end till Tuesday, so I'm good.
Started old vegetable seeds(2009,2010,2011,2012) just to see if they were any good.
Have approx. 40 tomato seedlings up about 3 inches tall, sort of scraggly looking.
1 pepper plant so far I think it's Banana pepper.
Planted bell peppers too from old seeds 2008.

Hey Mo, what ratio of plant starts to seed planted did you get with the older seed? How do you store your seed?

Just a heads up - - pork futures are going way up. That could mean pork will be rising. Everyone might want to stock up a little.

View attachment 10682

I've read some reports on Pork running up. Partially due to the flooding in the midwest. So far cattle/beef isn't effected to any degree. I think pork may have been low stock before the floods, maybe even in the pipeline from packing house to consumer.

@Tank-Girl they have been having a lot of half price specials on frozen vegetables I notice and we took advantage of that with the Woolworths specials they had on half price frozen goods. IGA is also running them from memory this week.

Just paid our electricity bill and it came under by a fair way from what we thought so we banked the difference in the emergency kitty home and bank one and paid the rego on DH's AWD too. Brutal one for us this month will be the water rates for the property but that is put in our bills account each fortnight so the money is there and waiting. They say they will charge us for both blocks of water rates until they catch up with the amalgamation and then credit us when that comes through. Typical of government departments it takes them 3 - 4 months to get up to par.

Last edited:
Today I purchased 5kg of citric acid for the home on eBay for $33 delivered and saved $133.66 over buying it in the small 75 g containers at the supermarkets that cost $2.50 ea. We use it for cleaning the toilet and you can use it for a lemon juice substitute as well.

I will see the gentleman at the RSL club who is buying it in smaller containers to clean their toilets and see if they want half of what we purchased for the club as they use a bit of it and it will save them a heap of money over buying it.

Today I purchased 5kg of citric acid for the home on eBay for $33 delivered and saved $133.66 over buying it in the small 75 g containers at the supermarkets that cost $2.50 ea. We use it for cleaning the toilet and you can use it for a lemon juice substitute as well.

I will see the gentleman at the RSL club who is buying it in smaller containers to clean their toilets and see if they want half of what we purchased for the club as they use a bit of it and it will save them a heap of money over buying it.

I get citric acid from here but I'm not sure how much the postage is because I haven't brought from there in a while.

https://www.blants.com.au/citric-acid

Thanks @Tank-Girl added them to my list of places to get bulk things from that you have given me. For just the 5kg of citric acid it would have been more with their delivery cost to get it here than on eBay that had free postage for the $33. For bulk orders though it would be a good option for us though as I did a hyperthetical order out on a list of things we need to stock on and checked the delivery cost.

Did a bulk order for things we were short of being cocoa powder, coconut, cinnamon, cashews, walnuts, mild curry powder and nutmeg and saved $134.10 over buying them in either Aldi or Woolworths too.

Not doing well on the no spending at the moment as we are running low on a lot of groceries and will have to do some more shopping on Wednesday to get some staples and essentials too that we have seen on really good 50% off or more specials online in their sales catalogues starting Wednesday so we will stock back up again.

Hey Mo, what ratio of plant starts to seed planted did you get with the older seed? How do you store your seed?
Each seed packet had approx. 40 seeds some might have had more but not much more.
Have about 15-25 seedling up from each packet.
Seeds are stored in pantry in old decorative card box, nothing fancy cardboard box.
Started the seeds in small cheap greenhouse kits. First time used those, mist once weekly.
Have taken dome lid off one green house today, rotate greenhouse every other day so everything gets stronger stems.
Why? Am I doing something wrong?

Eating at home, hopefully staying home.
Dad, myself and youngest sister are going to look at smaller house for dad.
Have a hunch, will need to get reel mower blades sharpen.
If dad takes the house behind the library.
He can have a shop(outdoor kitchen, garage built) in the yard behind the little house.
And still have room for his garden too.
Filled the car up on the 1st of the month$20, still have 296 miles on this tank of gas.
Have full pantry, 3/4 full chest freezer, full refrig freezer so shouldn't have to buy any groceries for the rest of the month.

Latest posts

Back