How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job @Sewingcreations15 ! I actually haven't done horribly. It's just been little things, but still $ out of my wallet. Today was a no spend day. Tomorrow I am having lunch with a friend I haven't seen in a while so will spend for that. Aug. 8th I have an appointment in my old town so will do some stocking up when I'm over there for that. I'm trying to hold out until then and just add it to the list.

Last Sunday, I spent less that $15, but this money I spent on me, needed clothes that fit.
So got 5 new(size 12-14)t- shirts for $2 apiece, 1 pair of new tennis shoes(size 4) for a $1, second pair of new tennis shoes(size 4) for $2 plus tax.
Now just have to find pants that fit properly.
Shopped Wal-Mart clearance aisle for my clothes and shoes.

Well I busted both yesterday and today as I had to finish the rest of our shopping and decided to top up on a few groceries we had used as well as stock up on some other items on specials. We are now all topped up with groceries.

- With our usual grocery items we saved $10.05 by buying needed items on special.
- From IGA we purchased 6 packets of potato chips on half price specials and 2 x 6 pk wholemeal rolls and 2 x 6 pk of white bread rolls on clearance saving $13.40 on usual prices.
- At Coles I used $10 flybuys dollars earned from previous purchases to get 4 x packets of bread improver free and purchased 8 tins of long life meat and vegetables on special saving $22 in total.
- Using a free listing promotion on eBay I listed 34 items saving $56.10 on usual listing fees.
- I also found a pair of leather pointed ballet flat shoes for $9.99 at Aldi on special saving probably another $30 on usual prices.

:clapping: @The Lazy L but you are getting retirement income in the form of a pension/superannuation ? .

First social security payment will be received in September (for the month of August).

Pension. Paper work was to be sent to me, it was sent to my former employer and sat on a desk for two weeks. I mailed it in a week ago. I understand it will take 90 days for the first payment.

Current savings can carry me to the end of the year. But for a backup plan I tapped my 401K. To learn the process I applied for a withdrawal. I indicated direct deposit, they mailed me a check. They also charged me $50 for the withdrawal. They charge me to "manage" my money and charge to give me my money...that's a racket to be in!

You will be contacted by the IRS in about two to three years with a tax and past due fees for the withdrawal.
This happened to me when I was disabled and ran out of savings to pay household and medical bills. The IRS waits as long as they legally can to get more in late fees.

Instead of renting a front end loader I wheelbarrow the 7 tons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
@The Lazy L first Pppllllbbbttttt! (That's a raspberry 'cause I'm not retired yet.). Second might ask your financial adviser about rolling your 401k over into an IRA. Typically no fee to withdraw just the usual taxes. Anyhoo, might be something to ask about. Also, me thinks you should work in my yard for a while. It must be terribly boring always working in the same yard. I'm sure a few others would pitch in and let you work in their yards too :D

@The Lazy L first Pppllllbbbttttt! (That's a raspberry 'cause I'm not retired yet.). Second might ask your financial adviser about rolling your 401k over into an IRA. Typically no fee to withdraw just the usual taxes. Anyhoo, might be something to ask about. Also, me thinks you should work in my yard for a while. It must be terribly boring always working in the same yard. I'm sure a few others would pitch in and let you work in their yards too :D

Absolutely! I have 2 yards at the moment just to keep it interesting....:D

@The Lazy L ...Second might ask your financial adviser about rolling your 401k over into an IRA. Typically no fee to withdraw just the usual taxes....

Thank you! Checked on the Credit Union's web sit. IRA no maintence fees or fees for withdrawal. Earns point 1% Interest. Also checked with the oldest daughter-in-law (banker experience). She suggested a diversified IRA, whatever that is. Next week I'll go in and have a talk with the CU.

IMHO my 401k is good as long as we have a President Trump.

You will be contacted by the IRS in about two to three years with a tax and past due fees for the withdrawal.
This happened to me when I was disabled and ran out of savings to pay household and medical bills. The IRS waits as long as they legally can to get more in late fees.

My federal and state taxes were taken at the time of my withdrawal. I should be good in that regards. And yes I filled the proof because I trust the Feds as far as....

I saved $200 today by buying insulated ski pants for only $29.99. These pants regularly retail for $230.00. Man I love mark downs and discount codes lol
And since they're men's they'll actually fit me in length ( yay!!)

I also bought an NHL tshirt ( regular price $44.99) for only $7.79 after discounts
Also a Lee woven work shirt ( $47.99) for only $4.19 (!!!!) talk about a cheap Christmas present but its good quality

Not spending, just trying to fill up savings account, emergency account.
It's amazing after the "Mom" bank closed, I actually have money to spend on "Mom".
Got my first gas bill today.
It was an whooping $5.25, cause I wash clothes in cold water, unless it's really scruffy, then I wash in hot water.
I take warm showers, not scalding hot, steam showers like some people I know(sons).
Paid the gas bill today, paid it out of pocket change, I had cashed in.
Actually the gas bill was $3.25, but the fees was about $2.25. Works for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back