How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got paid, bills got paid.
Good thing pantry, refrig freezer is full, not much left.
Took big girl pill paid extra on car payment ,loan.
Will have $25.50 to spend weekly for groceries, produce.
Trying to get loan paid off before Christmas.
So that will be extra money for savings account, emergency account.
Money goes into those accounts first.

Your post made me think of this song, which I sing at my children all the time. And yes, I meant sing "at" them. :)

I have miscalculated slightly.
But bills are all paid.
There is money in emergency account, savings account and checking account.
Maybe not as much as I would have liked in checking account.
But everything is paid.
I have exactly $42.50 till next payday for groceries, gas for rest of the month.
Like I said, pantry is fully stocked, refrig freezer is full.
Babysitting money pays for extras like date night.

I bought 20 lbs of chicken quarters for 30 cents a lb. 30 ears of corn for $6.00. Sold 7 dozen eggs at $3 a dz, sold two roosters at $5 a piece. Tractor Supply was clearing out chicks for a buck. Son picked up a dz for me, and the silkies hatched two babes. Dehydrated two rounds of apples from our tree. Picked tons of mint to dry for tea. Picked sage and bee balm for drying, and the small amount of fresh prunes the birds didn't get.

Bought another food dehydrator today normal price was $35 got it for $10.
If I have question about price I always use price checker to scan item first.
Old one was on it's last legs beings I loaned it to cousin year ago.
Was not in good shape when she brought it back.
Hence why I miscalculated slightly.
Got pint food saver bags for less than $4 also checked the price scanner.
Got 3 boxes for dehydrated vegetables for individual soups on days I don't want to cook.

I spent under $1000 to avoid paying $6600 to have my house painted. Does that mean I spent $1000 or saved $5600? The two halves of my brain are arguing but I feel like both happened.

@Supervisor42 we busted as I had to go to the doctor to get more medications that I was almost out of (medical emergency or my heart will jump out of my chest and beat furiously around the floor), but to redeem myself we got 5 months of medications for both DH and myself so we will have to do it and spend money less often.

We did save money by -
- Getting a bulk script for DH's medications saving $71.50 on getting each box separately.
- I got 5 months of medications for myself to save on multiple trips and petrol into town every month. They had to call in back up medication from their second pharmacy as they didn't have enough to stock me.
- As most of my tracksuit pants and tops are now just about worn out I found a fantastic end of season sale and purchased 3 new tracksuit tops, 3 pairs of tracksuit pants and 2 winter jackets for $10 each saving $184 on usual prices. Long water resistant jackets for $10 are a bargain and are usually $60 - $80 ea here.
- Also purchased a pork shoulder roast weighing 2.134 kg for $8.54 saving $8.53 on usual costs bargain dinner for a few days.

Last edited:
:good luck:, that's the tough one that my wife can't seem to make it past:D.
Believe my wife is started (a little) towards the path of conservatism. She was ridiculing me about saving a easy five cents. I told her that a nickel here and a nickel there add up, perhaps that is why I'm financially able to retire and she isn't? She didn't comment and I noticed she's been turning off unused lighting more then she did. Another 50 or 75 years....

@The Lazy L it sounds like your wife is learning little by little so there is hope at the end of the tunnel. It has to be her decision to do something about being fiscally responsible. Some people you can counsel till you turn blue and they do nothing and then when they decide to do it they do it with more determination.

(medical emergency or my heart will jump out of my chest and beat furiously around the floor),

The kid said that's exactly how if feels. Can I ask what med your Docs have you on? The docs just changed one of her meds today. Hopefully it will work better than the old one.

i saved a lil bit at dollar general by not buying some junk food.im waiting for ebay to release some money on a item i sold..i figure that might be monday at the latest.then primary shopping on friday.then i'll buy some half pint canning jars.im thinking 2 or 3 cases of them will do for now.i have to many store bought canned green beans n other veggies. so I'm thinking recan them into mixed veggies.

Will have to up clothing budget for awhile.
Just gave away 6 more size 16 shirts, 6 pairs of jeans.
Don't think my $20 budget will work out well while I restock my new clothing in smaller sizes.
Took 2 pairs of pants back exchanged them for 4 more shirts for the grand total of $4.00
The pants just didn't fit quite right.
Inside tag said they were 12-14, but they fit like 8-10.
New shirts are sizes 8-10, got 2 shirts, and size 12-14 got 2 shirts.

Last edited:
Bargain on the clothing @MoBookworm1957 and the size is fantastic congratulations you have worked so hard to get there :) .

@Weedygarden they have me on Propranolol 10 mg to control my irregular heartbeat and I take 1 in the morning and one in the evening. They are part of the beta blockers group of medications that control irregular heartbeat but there are many medications out there. As always best to run this by your doctor to see if it will suit your daughters condition and wait to see if her new meds work. It takes a month of taking most of these medications for the body to build up a residual effect in the body so you may not see results straight away.

They may have to adjust mine up as sometimes I am still sometimes getting the heart palpitations but they will judge that when I next visit with them in 4 weeks as they have to wait at least a month for the medications to kick in and work.

Bargain on the clothing @MoBookworm1957
...they have me on Propranolol 10 mg to control my irregular heartbeat and I take 1 in the morning and one in the evening. They are part of the beta blockers group of medications that control irregular heartbeat but there are many medications out there.
They may have to adjust mine up as sometimes I am still sometimes getting the heart palpitations but they will judge that when I next visit with them in 4 weeks as they have to wait at least a month for the medications to kick in and work.
I take Propranolol for essential tremors and it lowers my blood-pressure.
Been taking the 60mg ER (extended release) capsule for years. It's great for us guys that only take stuff once in the morning.
It's the same as taking 1- 20mg tablet 3-times per day (we guys never take the other 2:rolleyes:).
Going to see if I can get it upgraded to 80mg ER (I found out that the pharm stocks it).
The biggest drawback is it may lower my (already too high BP) some and help more with the shakes.
I can live with that:).
*this is not medical advice.

Last edited:
Ah welcome to my world of being able to make milkshakes without the aid of a milkshake machine @Supervisor42. I hope they manage to lower that blood pressure and working with your diet will help with that keeping away from high cholesterol foods such as full fat dairy products, egg yolks in particular and red meat. I am working on eating more white meats where possible.

I have a very low blood pressure 100/70 sitting and lower when I stand so that isn't a problem with me but high cholesterol is. I have to work on remembering to take my medications too as it is all new to me as this condition came on all of a sudden and I have never had to take any medications apart from iron tablets before.

Ah welcome to my world of being able to make milkshakes without the aid of a milkshake machine @Supervisor42. I hope they manage to lower that blood pressure and working with your diet will help with that keeping away from high cholesterol foods such as full fat dairy products, egg yolks in particular and red meat. I am working on eating more white meats where possible.

I have a very low blood pressure 100/70 sitting and lower when I stand so that isn't a problem with me but high cholesterol is. I have to work on remembering to take my medications too as it is all new to me as this condition came on all of a sudden and I have never had to take any medications apart from iron tablets before.
If my BP was there, they would be doing CPR on me:rolleyes:.
Me running on all 8 cylinders:
IMG_3161_b.JPG

p.s.Have always had great lipid numbers for last decade with Atorvastatin (Lipitor).

You have 4 cylinders to many running there @Supervisor42 you need a 4 cylinder to bring those numbers down a bit :) . More economical fuel and medication wise to run on a 4 cylinder.
My MIL has the opposite problem from you.
Her heart rate drops below 30 beats-per minute. That's, beat- Mississippi, Mississippi, beat.
They put a pacemaker in her to ping it if it drops below 30 BPM. It's tied into her central nervous system.
(I'm still not sure if they have verified that she is not a reptile:rolleyes:).
She went to sleep one night (heart rate drops the lowest when you sleep). She said she was awakened hearing tones.
I explained to her that it was her 'buddy' keeping her from going into CA.
It works.
P.s. I run my 8-cylinder with all great numbers 90% of the time.

Last edited:
I saved $1.32 on a pound of ground turkey. So I bought the last 2 packs that were marked down ( only paid $2.80 each). I also grabbed the last pack of organic ground turkey that was marked down to $7.45/3lbs. I saved $4.45 on that pack which was cheaper than the ground turkey I was going to buy on sale lol I'll break down the larger pack into 1lb portions for us to use
I came across some "gourmet" marshmallows marked down to $1.50 a pack. I bought 8 packs. They were strawberry and cream, mint chocolate chip and cinnamon churro flavored. I plan on using the mint/chip and cinn/churro in my hot chocolate this winter. the straw/cream I plan on dipping in melted chocolate and giving as gifts at Christmas
Found a 2lb container of green grapes marked down to $2

Groceries get delivered today and suddenly we have so much sweet cream butter that I am expecting PETA to show up and protest at the end of our driveway. Apparently it was on sale for $1.89/lb which must be one heckuva deal because now a huge section of our #2 chest freezer is solid blocks of butter. My wife always says that butter makes everything taste better, apparently she meant it.

wow that is a deal on butter!

Sentry 18, that is heck of deal on the butter.

Turns out that the first lb of butter was $1.89, second lb was $1.99, third lb was $2.09, and so one. Some kind of weird progressive pricing deal the grocery store had going on. Still a good deal over all just not AS good of deal.

@Sentry18 any sort of butter here in Australia is $5 generic plus for branded per 500g so to me that is a deal but not sure on your normal pricing over there.

Wifey says butter is normally $3.99 here but usually goes on sale for $2.99 in limited quantities. Unless she wants the expensive Kerrygold grass fed butter, that's $3.99 1/2 lb. She uses that for special dishes and to make her coffee taste creamy.

Latest posts

Back