How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rang up the Government for a true accounting on my debt because their numbers and mine weren't the same.

It seems mine were correct and theirs was wrong. Huge surprise there <--sarc.

So my debt is $100 less now that the amount has been revised.

I used solar lanterns to light the house instead of using mains powered lighting.

I found a free international online library that I can read books from for nothing.
My local Shire library has a online library that is free but the selection is very limited.
It saves on petrol having to go to a physical library.

Day 10 of no spending.

Today I didn't spend money on groceries as the money we spent we already calculated for when we bought our grocery e-gift card. However I did bust as I had to buy some cortisone cream for my face that was that itchy I couldn't sleep last night. The pharmacist was amazed looking at my face that the doctor had not prescribed it when I went as my face looks nasty and painful.

Today we managed to pick up a few specials and clearances being -
- 3.352kg of chicken thigh cutlets with skin on for a 50% off usual prices at $3 kg and a 2lt chocolate milk on sale as well saving $10.91 in total on usual prices.

I am making a concerted effort to try and stock our meat freezer with 50% off or better of normal priced meats.

@Tank-Girl good that your debt is lower than you thought and one thing that you can rely on is Centrelink will be wrong 99.99% wrong most of the time thank goodness but you just have to keep an eye on them and make sure you tell them. I would have asked them for a discount too :) . Fantastic about the free online library as fuel is getting really expensive too like everything else. I almost fell off my feet when I saw chicken drumsticks around here locally for $5 kg, things are certainly getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Today I didn't spend money on groceries as the money we spent we already calculated for when we bought our grocery e-gift card. However I did bust as I had to buy some cortisone cream for my face that was that itchy I couldn't sleep last night. The pharmacist was amazed looking at my face that the doctor had not prescribed it when I went as my face looks nasty and painful.

Today we managed to pick up a few specials and clearances being -
- 3.352kg of chicken thigh cutlets with skin on for a 50% off usual prices at $3 kg and a 2lt chocolate milk on sale as well saving $10.91 in total on usual prices.

I am making a concerted effort to try and stock our meat freezer with 50% off or better of normal priced meats.

@Tank-Girl good that your debt is lower than you thought and one thing that you can rely on is Centrelink will be wrong 99.99% wrong most of the time thank goodness but you just have to keep an eye on them and make sure you tell them. I would have asked them for a discount too :) . Fantastic about the free online library as fuel is getting really expensive too like everything else. I almost fell off my feet when I saw chicken drumsticks around here locally for $5 kg, things are certainly getting ridiculous.

It's not a discount but the true amount I owe.
It was $100.
For someone like me that's a lot of money.
The fact they were out by that much in their accounting was frightening.

Day 13 of no spend.

Friday is pension day again and I'll be throwing $300 at the debt.
Household budget is $20 for the fortnight again.
The car won't need fuel because I have cut the trips down to pension day only.
I need a new frypan and I have allocated $6 for one from the Reject shop which I priced online.
$14 for groceries.
I don’t need anything really except bread because I still have a lot of meat in the freezer and the veggie
garden is going gang busters.
I harvested my first nappa cabbage and a immature sugar cabbage. Just glorious.

Busted yesterday but saved at the same time. I am working on still getting everything we use to a 12 month supply stage and noticed that our cats dry food wasn't up to that so I purchased 3 more prescription bags of food for her on eBay which is the cheapest place to get it round here saving about $15 on buying it in our local veterinary clinics here.

Today we are heading to another town so may or may not bust it depends on if we find any good deals on things that we need.

We have also saved money by getting quotes from electricians for work that needs to be done around here. From dearest $1300 to $400 we have already saved $900 and it could be more.

I often eat cold cereal and at just 25 cents per box this is cheap so I will pick up two boxes today.
011-.jpg

Will shop for ICE CREAM tonight.
But this all I am shopping for.
Haven't been shopping in several days.
Probably will be saving quite a bit money in October.
Unless I win at Bingo between now and my birthday in October.
Will be giving up bingo for awhile.
That money saved will go into saving account.
Should average about $100 more into saving account and emergency account.
Haven't won at Bingo for quite a while now.

I bought an Aero Precision M4 style barreled upper. Got a coupon code from Brownells and with my discount and free shipping I picked it up for $225. Not the best deal in the world but not bad either. I didn't plan on putting together yet another AR-15 this year, but apparently Brownells and my gun related OCD had other plans. ;)

aero-precision-ar-15.jpg

Another huge down payment on the debt.

With the $100 adjustment, plus $50 garnish and a $300 voluntary payment my debt now stands at $422.39

I have $18 For the fortnight and not $20 because I didn't include account keeping fees.

@Sewingcreations15 I will be taking your suggestion of using another fortnight's rent and using it to wipe
The debt completely next pension.

All these sacrifices are absolutely worth it to be debt free.

All these sacrifices are absolutely worth it to be debt free.

Yep! Thats what we did to get the mortgage paid off and the toyota paid off. Thats why now we're fixing up the house with the money we don't have to spend on the mortgage. Its a wonderful feeling to be out of debt.

@Patchouli help me out here on tempies purchase ;) . Ok to answer @Amish Heart and @Sentry18 I will say female and male underwear purchases so people aren't guessing :) as mine were well worn and DH's were too big since he lost lots of weight .

Incidentally DH's travel allowance came in this morning which made up for the underwear purchase plus more and a friend is buying DH's new in packet too large ones to make up more of that expenditure.

@Tank-Girl wonderful idea and you will be so happy to have got that bill paid. Just think how great it will be to have all your income back again to use and or save :) .

I found laundry powder in the Reject shop - 1kg boxes of laundry powder for $2 each. That's a $1.13 cheaper than its closest name brand equivalent ( Fab ) washing powder at Woolworths.
From what I can tell this wasn't a special at The Reject shop but an everyday price.

Taking new dehydrator back to Wal-Mart.
It stinks, gives me instant migraine.
So will use refund for groceries at Alidi's(my side of river) and Save A lot ( different town over across the river).
I think new dehydrator has been used before I purchased it.
It reeks.
I paid for new dehydrator, but what I got was refurbished dehydrator. Bummer.
Will finally get my ice cream, while at Alidi's (next town over)will stop at local ice cream shop for ice cream.
Been on phone with Norton for over hour.
Didn't authorize renewal, demanded refund.
Got said refund of $79.99 plus tax.
So I guess I saved money maybe.

Latest posts

Back