How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you can eventually find a dehydrator and no migraines.
Had store open it up. Plug it in, checked it out.
No smell, no migraine.
Had them run it for about 3-5 minutes, no smell.
The one I bought at Wal-Mart reeked when opening box.
That dehydrator was plugged into outlet by dryer.
4 Steps to empty kitchen sink, throwing my guts up, stink.
Orginally I thought the smell was some ladies perfume.
Now know better.

Not a worry @Tank-Girl I will keep you updated on any situations I see with price rises. If you like us buy clearance meats and any vegetables we need we can beat a lot of the price rises but they are getting fewer marked at cheaper prices. Can't wait to have our vegetables up and running so we can eat them rather than buy them again.

Took back other dehydrator to Wal-Mart.
Got new dehydrator at Alidi's $10.50 cheaper
So saved money there.
The $ 10.50 savings bought few groceries, can of coffee and ice cream from local shop in that town.
Went back to Wal-Mart looked through clearance racks found 1 shirt for $ 3 , 2 pairs of pants for $3.
Will need to purchase a new coat for winter.

Yesterday we saved money by shopping around for prices between stores on kettles, pillows and slippers DH needed and saved $51 in the process. It is amazing how much prices differ between stores :eek: . I am not paying $26 top prices for 1 pillow regardless of how good they say they are on their packet and we purchased 2 for me for $9.50 and two for DH for $12. We both slept like babies last night.

Day 1 of spending no money today.

Friday I busted as I saw some great meat specials at an independent smaller supermarket and purchased 5.47 kg of rump steak @ $9 kg and 6.16 kg of pork thin sausages @ $3.95 kg. The rump steak is usually priced at $24 kg and pork sausages priced at $9.17 kg in the other supermarket we shop at. We saved in total $114.05 over buying it in the more expensive supermarket and have a good supply of meat now so shouldn't have to shop for meat for a few months now.

Today is day 1 of not spending any money today.

@Tank-Girl not sure if you have an IGA near you but they have pork sausages both thin and thick for $3.95 per kg and rump steak sliced for $9 kg for Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week. May want to check your local IGA catalogue to see if they are the same price there.

The rump was cheaper than mince at $9.50 kg here.

Last edited:
I get the grocery money every 2 weeks. This time I managed to save $66 from it so I can put it in the emergency fund. Sometimes I don't manage to save that much because of specials for stocking up. But anything I can save for the future is a plus for me

Babysitting money pays for Bingo.
So now nothing comes out of my pay except bills.
Bingo pays for some groceries and incidentials.(Polident,coffee this month).
Every month make regular car payment, then about the middle of the month make one just on principle.
Been making principle payments since I closed the "Mom" bank.
Have money in savings, checking and a bit in my pocket.

Took the Caddy down to the new local auto repair shop. I know the owner .
I have been told previously by another person at a caddy dealership that the compressor was bad.
So this guy that runs the shop told me to bring it today and no charge to check it out, and I could wait to see.
About 30 minutes later he told me I had cold ac.
He added some dye so he can find a leak after it's run for a while.
I owe him for freon , oil, and dye plus about 1 hr labor.
He said come by tomorrow and he will figure a bill.
He is 1 mile from my house.

So I probably saved $600 to $1000.

Jim

Last edited:
I got BCAA (local equivalent of AAA) to tow my car to nearby big city because the transmission repair will be about $600 less there. Saved the cost of towing 90 miles (less cost of annual membership) plus repair savings. They auto club agreed to tow because no one local was really qualified to repair it (caught them on a generous day)

Day 4 of not spending any money.

Yesterday and a few days before we saved money by DH using some ply we had here from our log splitter delivery carton (yay working now since they sent a new hydraulic ram) and cut it to fit in the spot where the kitchen bench came out as the surrounding vinyl was on boards and the kitchen unit lying on the boards. After DH did that I had some paint leftover from a rental whoopsie where we did a repair to paint two coats on the wall behind the unit, the unit holding the kitchen sink and the two pieces of ply board to go in the hole. Total cost of leveling the floor $0 and only cost a bit of time in painting and cutting.

Since we have purchased this house we have become experts in recycling items and spending very minimal money on things.

Hubby saved $400 yesterday on more decking for extending the back deck. Lowes wanted $900 but he offered $500 and they took it.
I'll be able to grow more things in containers on it when he extends it. It'll be doubled in size ( yay!)

Latest posts

Back