How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did I do what??
70670044_10156201310917471_21302359183327232_o.jpg

Yesterday we busted but we did save money by -
- Buying from IGA on special 4 x 4pk of cheese and bacon rolls, 4 x 1kg of golden syrup to add to storage, 2 x 10 pk of DH's sensitive razors, 11.71 kg of chicken drumsticks and 3 x 2 lt bbq sauces saving in total $49.16 on usual prices in Woolworths.
- From Woolworths I used my $10 off voucher for buying usual groceries and picked up a free sample as I am a taste tester to save $13.30 with the $10 rewards I got $10 worth of groceries we had on our shopping list anyway.
- From Aldi we purchased on super saver day 8 x baking sheets, 6 x large cooling racks, 1 x set of measuring cups and spoons and a set of funnels saving $52.93 over buying similar products in other local stores.

Meat freezer is almost chockers but will keep an eye out for any discounted beef mince if we find it but no emergency as we have some in there to work with.

Back to day 1 of not spending any money today.

Last edited:
Reached day 3 of spending no money.

Busted today as the worst thing in the world happened :eyeballs:gaah, DH's playstation gave up the ghost so we purchased another new one with four games included. I don't play them but DH does when he is in pain with his back. We stopped and got fuel but that was accounted for in our e-gift voucher purchases.

Staying home, therefore not spending money.
But will have to purchase new set of headphone for son's desktop computer.
Dropped the headset into my coffee cup.
Not feeling lucky on that one.
But the last of last weeks Bingo winnings will pay for Bingo this week.
And should get paid for babysitting grand daughter this week too.

Busted but got some bargain clearance new clothing being a decent length skirt and a pair of shorts all for $6 saving $54 on usual prices. Even DH just said oh you got 2 items of clothing for only $6 wow.

It is rare I find a pair of shorts or a skirt that is a decent length on me having long legs so I am stoked. I usually shop in op shops or buy things when they are on new in shops on clearances and it amazing what you can find without spending a lot of money.

I popped into the local grocery store.
Bought 5lbs of potatoes for only 95 cents with an in store coupon
Got 3lbs of navel oranges for only $2.49
Got chicken drumsticks for only 99 cents/lb
Store brand pasta was on sale for 69 cents a box so I bought 10 boxes. I'll vacuum seal them in jars later or tomorrow
Also bought 6 cans of store brand peas and carrots for only 79 cents each. Much cheaper than the name brands

According to my receipt I've saved $241.50 so far this year at this store

Day 4 of not spending any money today.

Boy this month is certainly a bill paying month where we have paid both car insurances, my yearly car maintenance done where the handbrake was adjusted, DH's roadside assist membership, paid the monthly phone and internet bill and the electricity bill and needless to say monthly mortgage with additional payments. We don't count these as the money is put into the bills account fortnightly from our pays and the bills paid and budgeted for from the beginning of each year as we worked them all out. The money in the bills account even earns bank interest and there are no surprises.

Our recent focus is to build up our emergency kitty to 3 months of total living expenses including mortgage repayments so we are now saving more money and earning bank interest on that too.

Got our final quote in for our stove and 3 light installations and we will save $697.34 from the first higher quote so we are going with that and they will be out not next week but early the week afterwards to do the work required.

Last edited:
Decided that next pension I'll be paying double rent now that I'm debt free.
I need to rebuild my rent buffer back to a level that makes me feel more secure.
At the moment I feel very vulnerable.
I don't like the feeling at all.
Still, even with paying double rent I'll still have around $170 dollars left out of my pension.
A crazy huge amount considering I have been living on $20 for the last few months.

Saved another $60 out of the grocery money this time so that goes in the emergency fund
Hubby sold his 1955 Dodge dump truck and used the money to pay off the Kawasaki Mule atv payments. So that bill is gone

Saved another $60 out of the grocery money this time so that goes in the emergency fund
Hubby sold his 1955 Dodge dump truck and used the money to pay off the Kawasaki Mule atv payments. So that bill is gone

Congratulations @WVDragonlady .

I bet it's a huge relief to get that done and out of the way.

Congratulations @Tank-Girl on paying that big debt off and now you can get your rent buffer back up I am so happy for you :woo hoo:.

Congratulations @WVDragonlady and Mr DL for having another bill paid off and great you are building up your emergency kitty to with any spare money you have in the budget :woo hoo:.

This is what we are doing is any extra funds is going to our emergency fund account to build that back up again. Well to be honest we had before what was known as the saving for the house deposit emergency account and a couple of thousand for our emergency kitty. Now we are working on the e.k for living expenses for a certain amount of time.

Last edited:
Day 5 of not spending any money today.

We went and played bingo at the local RSL which we do once a month out of our splurge budget and I won back what we spent anyway and came back with extra funds besides which went into our entertainment jar to use for other things.

While down there the RSL President told us that the CWA as a welfare project had bought a whole heap of bottled water for the towns people and a lot didn't take it so we bought home 2 cartons of 20 x 600 ml bottles of spring water free for our storage room saving $26 over purchasing it. We considered ourselves not as much in need as those with empty or near empty rainwater tanks so waited until we know who needed it got theirs but there was still more left :dunno: . Really don't understand why people are not planning ahead as we don't know how long this severe drought will last. We were planning to buy more anyway so this will be less water we have to buy.

Busted yesterday as we purchased the new recliner lounge chairs we had been saving for. We did save a heck of a lot of money by shopping around and trying them out and the best ones we found were $541 cheaper each than everywhere else for varying brands saving $1082 in total. We are happy as these are higher, longer in the leg area for our height and the arms are high and they are most importantly very comfortable :) .

Woohoo! @MoBookworm1957 I love that sort of thinking:)
@Tank-Girl I am so happy for you. That must just feel awesome! And another woohoo for @WVDragonlady Isn't that a good feeling?!
Well, this might not sound like saving money, but we got our beef this month so spending about $2000. I worked it out however, and including cutting and wrapping etc. it was $3.50 per pound - that's for steaks, roasts, all of it. I think that's right about the normal price for hamburger. Plus, the folks we got it from said that our beef had 2 hearts :) (they didn't want theirs.) Heart is very good for us and it's good made into finger steaks. Liver is even better for us but we can't seem to make ourselves like it so give it to a friend who does. Also, cooler weather helped this past month - power bill was $23.05 less than last month. I need to concentrate on saving again. It seems all of our big bills hit at once. Yuk. Anyhow, time to store it up:)

Latest posts

Back