How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been anywhere to spend money.
Been sending in extra principle payment on car along with regular payment.
Hopefully new to me 2015 Fiat 500 Lounge with 4500 miles on it will be paid off in 3 more years instead of 5 years.
This car only had 31 miles on it when I bought it.
Make grocery list and stick to it.
If item not on list I don't buy period.
Been doing a lot of walking again.
Like before I got car, but now for health reasons(total left knee replacement).
Dug out clothing patterns for shirts,pants,(I'm in between sizes, so will make my own clothes for awhile.).

Playing catch up here on our savings for a while.

- In the last week we put in a grocery order using our $240 for $200 e-voucher and with weekly specials I saved $93.40 including the $40 e-voucher savings.
- From the gardens we picked 29 bunches of silver beet that we blanched and froze for the freezer saving $116 over buying them.
- Took cuttings off both our English lavender and rosemary to grow more plants for when we move into our own home saving $151.62 over buying them in the local plant nurseries.
- Watered the household lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine saving on town water use.
- Watered potted fruit trees and newly planted vegetable seeds with saved dish rinsing water and shower warm up water saving on precious tank water use.
- DH and I cut and split a cubic metre of firewood we cut and split free from a friends farm saving $200 over purchasing it.
- From the gardens we have also harvested a lot of English and French lavender to dry which we have either sold or have drying making up to date about $40 from the sale of in my eBay store.

More harvesting and blanching and freezing of silver beet and broad beans today.

Last edited:
I've had it with my phone and internet provider.

Twice this month they've tacked on 2 $10 data packs onto my phone that I didn't ask for and didn't consent to.
I rang them up and explained the issue and they refuse to remove the charges.
I'm beyond furious.
They've lost themselves a customer who's been with them for over 20 years.

I'm looking at Kogan pre-paid mobile which have good deals going atm

Companies do that here...after a time they add on things and say your "special price" is over. Usually it takes a call to tell them you're cancelling and they'll take the price back down.

A friend loaned me her tailgater to take to the mtn house when we go up. I had it connected to my acct and when we got the next bill Dish had charged me for a months rental on it. WTH??? When I called them on it they tried to tell me it was theirs. Asked me if I had the receipt. My response was "Do you? I want the purchase agreement and shipping info. When did you mail it to me?" We ended up dropping it off our acct and my friend added it to her acct instead. No questions or "rental" charges from Dish. She called them and demanded the $5 rental fee they charged me because its her receiver. I got a $5 refund the next bill.

Found out today that my total knee replacement surgery, Physical Therapy, and Pharmacy bills disappeared into never, never land due to my age.
And the years just a few (32), I had spent in the Military. I am exempt.
Which in one way a blessing, because my stomach ulcer was bleeding. Because I didn't know how I was going to pay for it all.
Also found out one Government agency doesn't charge another Government agency.
Meaning the VA won't charge Medicare for the surgery,pharmacy,or outside Physical Therapy.
Silly me tried to set up payment plan today.

Yesterday's grocery....picked up 5 whole chickens at 59 cents a lb. We'll have one for dinner tonight, with leftover pieces in sandwiches for the road trip tomorrow. Annies Mac and Cheese boxes with coupons at 75 cents a box. Premium big chocolate bars to stash for Christmas stockings at $1 ea. Crunch a munch caramel corn at 50 cents a box. Got a dollar off the gallon of milk I bought because of points earned, so it was $1. Found a favorite somewhat healthy snack on sale...honey wafer cookie packs, normally a buck each, were 35 cents each, so I bought all 40 of them. Oreo cookies were $1.79 each pack, bought 3. Grapes at 77 cents a lb. Had 10 percent taken off that whole bill for a senior discount day, too.
Need to buy animal feed today. No discounts there.

Brought a 3 month pre-paid subscription to a different phone and internet provider right as the wretched carrier I'm currently with
added ANOTHER un-asked for $10 data pack to my bill.

It was like throwing fuel on the fire to be honest.
I decided right then and there I wasn't going to flaff about with them and
as soon as my new sim turns up in the mail they're GONE.

That ment this pension no battery purchase, groceries or chicken feed was brought
because I got a gut feeling they'll try to tack on a whole swag of exit fees.
I'll grit my teeth and wear it just to get shot of them.

I'll have to get use to working with only 32 GB's a month so I'll have to pace myself
until I get use to the new normal.

Companies do that here...after a time they add on things and say your "special price" is over. Usually it takes a call to tell them you're cancelling and they'll take the price back down.

I did and they refused to remove it still.

It never pays to call my bluff because I don't my threats. I make promises.

Bought a corningware slow cooker for $10 that sells on eBay for $55 to $60. Needed a second larger one so I can make and can more dog food at once. Also bought boneless chicken breasts for $1.49 a pound to use with the electric meat grinder I ordered. Ground chicken here from Walmart (only place that does ground chicken) is 3.57 a pound. Shouldn't take too long to pay for the grinder at that rate.

Latest posts

Back