How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I tasted the Aldi tuna in spring water and uuuggghhhhh......it tastes like the fish was starting to turn when they canned it.
It didn't make me sick but the taste wasn't nice at all.
I'll feed them to the chickens and I won't buy any more.
Woolworths essentials tuna in spring water is thousand times nicer and it's the same price.

I've been needing to catch a big sale on can goods for a long time. I caught one Monday night and continued tonight at the same market chain... I just weighed them, 22lbs of veggies of all types. My pantry is good for the next year or so. I think I need another shelving unit. Next monday I hope to cart out another truck load of junk for the garbage man. I'll have room for new shelves then. :)

Now I'm saving money till Springtime.
Fired up the wood stove for heating my house.

Most likely it will not die out again until middle of April.

My electric bill for the next 5-6 months will be very low.
IMG_20191031_090300542-1228x1637.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I stopped by the local grocery and they had 8oz ham steaks on sale for $2 each ( 5 for $10) and if you bought 10 you got 100 points towards a free turkey. I bought 15 lol Now I don't have to buy them for a while.
I also found Progresso soups on sale for $1 a can(!) so I bought 20 of those. They're handy for when I'm sick and don't feel like making anything for my lunches and I use them for soup and sandwich nights. I also got 100 points towards a free turkey for buying those.
I bought some boxes of pastas and cake mixes and some other odds and ends
In total I saved $61.61 today and I received 500 points total towards the turkey. You only need 400 to get the turkey. I plan on giving it to the food bank

So my wife called her preferred grocery store and asked for the manager. She told him she need some Halloween candy like everyone else, but wanted several bags and a good discount. She added that she was willing to purchase something they were already over stocked with and would really just end up on clearance tomorrow. After a some light haggling she picked up 10 - 3.5lb bags of something called Child's Play mixed candy for $6.25 per bag (normally $7.75+ per bag and probably $5.50 a bag on November 1st). Most of this will be donated to the nursing home so the folks there can hand out candy and to a Trunk or Treat event held at my department, but I will keep one bag to hand out the neighborhood kids.

@Tank-Girl I would take it back to Aldi and tell them it is not good and turned before canning to get your money back personally :) .

It's just under 2 hours drive to Aldi so it's just not worth it for 10 tins.
I'll chalk it up to experience and I won't buy it next time.
I'm very happy with everything else I brought so that's something.

Today I paid the fine and half rent.
I feel better about paying some rent even though I'm still ahead.
Brought some mixed grain from the feed store for the hens.
Brought some bread, butter and a pre made lasagna from the supermarket and went home.

Next pension I have license renewal and an electricity bills to pay.
I'll be renewing my license for 5 years so I don't have to worry about it again for a while.
I rather take the hit now while the pension system / economy is still limping along rather than
wait and things take a dive and there's no money to pay for it.

All bills are paid for the month.
Won at Bingo Tuesday night.
Won enough to play next week.
Made a payment on my new laptop that is on layaway at Wal-Mart.
Bought some long sleeve shirts that I needed.
Still need coat(son needed coat, so I gave him the one I had just bought.)
Oh, well it was a man's coat anyway.
Still need a few more pairs of pants too.
Need hiking boots too.
I have money in the checking account, savings accounts, emergency account and in my stash too.
Life is good.

So not only did you win at Bingo but you are also a winner at life!
You are doing so good Mo! :)

I paid bills yesterday so today is no spend day 1. I will see how far into Nov. I can make it. Will need a turkey sometime before Thanksgiving. Also might have to start buying a few fresh veggies for hubby's lunches. I've held out so far. During summer we had quite a few of our own. Everything is now thoroughly frozen.

Today we busted again as we went into town and I saved money by -

- Buying on half price specials 10 large packets of pasta and sauces, 2 x pkts of iced buns, and 3 blocks of dark chocolate saving $26.20 + another 5% off using our e-gift card on usual prices. We were already there picking up an online order we put in so decided since it was a new week to stock up on other needed/treat sale items and we are now done grocery shopping until December.
- By getting free samples being a taste tester for a supermarket we got a Mexican style chicken and salad platter, 500g of organic dried figs and a tin of salmon saving us $17.20 on usual prices.
- In another small supermarket we purchased 8 kiwi fruit on weekly sale and on clearance 5 x 6 pk a mixture of wholemeal and grain bread rolls saving $3.40 on usual prices.

Found a ladies leather coat for $6.99.
Found 1 pair of medium weight corduroy pants for quarter.
2 pairs of medium weight denim jeans for $1.50 they were half off.
Very happy with my purchases.
Had contested a charge on my credit card.
Was reimbursed almost a $100.
My meals this week are free so to speak.
Had purchased the canned vegetables for the soup I made 10/$10 three years ago.

Went to the Restaurant supply store and stocked up. 10# hamburger at $2.70 a lb, 15 lbs of Wright's Bacon for $50.00. King Arthur Flour 50 lbs for $18.00, Dehydrated potatoes cut for scalloped potatoes were 2 1/2 lb for $7. Horseradish creamed was $4, Pinto beans 20 lbs dry were $8, a number 10 can of instant potatoes for mashed $5, and 50 lbs of white onions for $15. Those will take me awhile to dehydrate. Especially pleased with the Wright's thick cut bacon, our favorite kind. Saved $1 a lb over Sams price.

I worked in a packing house for 3 years, last job there was smoking bacon. But their smokehouses were huge. I'd like to try in a smaller setting maybe with a couple pigs cut and hanging in it. YUMMY

I made my own bacon once, it was delicious but took a lot of time. I went back to buying smoked bacon from the local meat market and pork producers. It's made the same way I made mine, without the nitrates and other chemicals you get in "grocery store" bacon. Plus their standard cut bacon makes mass produced "thick cut" bacon seem as thin as paper.

Screwed in light bulbslightbulb
Yesterday I bought 4 GE LED bulbs for $19.
I know what you're thinkin' o_O.
Learned the hard way that the cheap Chinese LED bulbs (Utilitech) won't last a year:mad:.
Each GE bulb will last 13 years and save $85 in power.
So the bulbs are essentially free and will pay me $321 over time.
4 x 85 - 19 = 321.
The cheap bulbs won't save you anything if they don't last long enough to even repay their costgaah.

Absolutely! We've changed out all of our bulbs to LED and that was years ago and they're still going strong
Years ago all they had was the good ones; it was before the cheap counterfeits flooded the market.

One thing I've figured out is how difficult it is to keep track of how many "no spend" days I've had because for work, we spend when we have to - parts runs, steel orders, etc. I will have to go to the store today for a few veggies for in our lunches. We haven't had fresh broc. or cauliflower for a while now. Next year, I am going to try growing some. Tried up the mt. but between the deer eating the little bit I finally got and the short growing season, it wasn't worth it. I think down here, I might have a shot. Haven't done too bad lately but also just received property tax bill for the mountain house - $2300+, up $100 from last year grrr! So will have to come up with that in the next 2 weeks.

Ha we just got a letter informing us that our country will start charging us a " storm water fee" even though we're rural. Basically its a stupid rain tax. Funny thing is I don't remember voting for this "fee" *cough TAX cough*
Burns my biscuits and I've already called my county commissioner's office and complained about it. Hope others do also

Yea I busted today too. Went to the restaurant supply store. They were having a sale on steak and chicken so I bought some of both. Also picked up some packs of fully cooked bbq pork ribs

Latest posts

Back