How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted again today as the plumber was able to come out today and fix the sump pump and installed a brand new higher powered one than the last one with a better filtration system. I asked him whether he took cash for payment and he said "yes"as his head almost spun off his shoulders in shock. I then said can you do a better price for cash and we got a further $40 discount on the price which I am happy about :).

He also fixed the wiring up to it and did the connections on it so we can change it ourselves next time it goes rather than paying a septic services/plumber to do it for us. He also threw in a second sprinkler and some grey water hose so we can run two sprinklers off the grey water hose now. After asking him for some advice we will be able to rectify the problem of the rainwater running off the back of the home and into the grey water tank and he showed us how to do it ourselves. We can run most of the water from the back of the house back into the overflow of the two top tanks and it will fill the bottom tank. The lean-to gutters being too low we will run some more rain water pipe through the back yard buried and connect bubblers to water the back lawn with, problem solved. Oh goody more plumbing repairs to do.

Also we picked up 11 metres of near new 90mm rain water pipe from a local that had some left over from a job and saved another $10.00 odd dollars there.

Today when I had to replace a cracked pvc waterline in a wall my cousin had a replacement piece of pvc pipe w/fittings and help me install them. I fixed pulled pork sandwiches for lunch… good trade.

Tonight while rearranging a linen closet to make room for new sheets I found 3 pkgs of 500 count Q-tips I didn’t know I had along with 2 quarts of rubbing alcohol and a 50 count pkg of 4x4 sterile gauze pads. I guess that counts as saving money since they disappeared so long ago I had forgotten them. Oh, I also found a pocket knife I misplaced last year. I guess I need to go through that linen closet more often. I still wonder how that pocket knife ended up in a linen closet! o_O

Today was finally day 1 of not spending any money today :) .

@Peanut totally relate to finding things in strange places as DH has memory loss. In fact we spent the afternoon finding a chain sharpening guide and 2 new chainsaw chains I purchased before we moved. Mission accomplished and all items found so we can now change the chain on our smaller chainsaw as the other one is worn out after 2 seasons of cutting.

I don't know how this happened,
But I'm out of coffee,eggs,eggs substitute,brown sugar.
Okay, I understand about the baking items like the eggs, eggs substitute, brown sugar.
Because grand daughter and I have been baking for charity.
But I'm out of coffee. I never run out of COFFEE.
So off to Wal-Mart I will go.
Dang almost made it 3.5 weeks without shopping.
I have looked in all my normal stash places for my extra coffee to no avail.
No Coffee!

I don't know how this happened,
But I'm out of coffee,eggs,eggs substitute,brown sugar.
Okay, I understand about the baking items like the eggs, eggs substitute, brown sugar.
Because grand daughter and I have been baking for charity.
But I'm out of coffee. I never run out of COFFEE.
So off to Wal-Mart I will go.
Dang almost made it 3.5 weeks without shopping.
I have looked in all my normal stash places for my extra coffee to no avail.
No Coffee!

If I was close by...

IMG_20191116_094009350-1228x1637.jpg

Jim

hope you had a nice veterans day@mobookworm. thanks for your service. maybe you had a crs syndrome moment and will find you stashed it and forgot where. lol i have those all the time. i wanted to make a punpkin butterscotch trifle for Thanksgiving and i know i bought some butterscotch instant pudding mix. can't find it so i will buy some more.

I figured out the great linen closet pocket knife caper! Under the bottom shelf I store paper towels and TP which is wrapped on the outside with an extra layer of plastic. I must have used the knife to cut open a bundle and laid the knife up on shelf while getting a roll of TP or PT. It must have gotten covered with towels and shoved to the back! I knew there had to be a logical reason.
:)

hope you had a nice veterans day@mobookworm. thanks for your service. maybe you had a crs syndrome moment and will find you stashed it and forgot where. lol i have those all the time. i wanted to make a punpkin butterscotch trifle for Thanksgiving and i know i bought some butterscotch instant pudding mix. can't find it so i will buy some more.
Thank you timmie, I had a very nice veteran's day.
Spent it with the grand daughter whom was running low grade fever.

someone snagged them from ya.lol

i buy the 32oz container each time i do my primary shopping
Sometimes the various stores have the smaller cans on a great sale 10 for $10.
They don't happen very often right now because it colder.
But in the Spring and Summer they do so I stock up.
Most of the time I buy 32 ounces or larger.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I have run out of things (to my amazement) too. The latest was canned mushrooms. I thought I had at least a case (if not, two) stored....nope. I had to send hubs to our Family Dollar to get some for a dish I needed to make. I hate that! Afterwards I typically overcompensate and get enough (on sale) for an Army, so-as never to run out of that item again. LOL!

Sweingcreations1 - what is vegemite?

I normally have 5-10 cans stashed, but couldn't find them.
I don't think I drank them all.
I buy 4 or 5 can every other month.
I honestly don't know what happened.

Strawberry hid them because you wouldn't give her a treat!:p

@angie_nrs yes vegemite is a very salty yeasty spread that most people who visit Australia hate with a passion and here is the Wikipedia description - Vegemite is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. It was developed by Cyril Callister in Melbourne, Victoria in 1922 .

An American company took over the vegemite brand and tried to market in America and other places and most people hated it. Bega the Australian company bought the rights to it back and rumour has it for less than the company that purchased it paid for it to start off with.

Go Aussies we can eat things that most find completely inedible we are so tough :woo hoo:.

@Sewingcreations15 sort of sounds like an oddity here in the southeastern US, head cheese and souse meat... an acquired taste, most southerners even walk away from it. Souse meat is basically head cheese with pickled veggies added. There are no dairy products in head cheese. I've no idea where it got the name.

I've eaten both since I was a kid.

I agree with @angie_nrs running out of coffee would be an emergency! I buy 6-12 at a time when it goes on sale.
@Tank-Girl we are top heavy with bills in fall also: beef, insurance and taxes all big and all due :mad:
@Sewingcreations15 you're doing well with no spending days.
@MoBookworm1957 you do so well and live quite frugally but running out of coffee!
Now that's just taking it a bit too far:D
I've not spent money for 2 days now. Hoping to continue.

Today we busted as we purchased discounted mushrooms on sale saving $4 on usual costs.

What we didn't bust on as we had used our grocery e-gift card to purchase was some fruit and we also purchased reduced wholemeal bread rolls, grain rolls, some donuts and a pizza roll which DH promptly ate saving us $5.71 on usual prices. Here is a photo minus of course the pizza roll -

bargain bread rolls donuts and pizza roll.JPG

Latest posts

Back