How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossing my fingers for you, Mo
Thank you Amish Heart.
But didn't win again.
But will go next week too.
I have just enough stashed to go again.
Besides some of the games have added bonus, you bingo they give you a 18-25 pound turkey too.
If I win that I could possibly get 10 to 20 meals out that one turkey.

Busted again today as I purchased a grocery e-gift card as we had run out of them.

How we saved though is -
- By purchasing the e-gift card I saved 5% or $5.71 worth of free groceries.
- Putting in my grocery order online I coupled a $15 off online voucher with weekly specials saving $23.70 on usual prices. This should keep us in staples until January but will have to put in an order for Christmas necessities early next month.

Good on you @Tank-Girl we had bush/grass fires not to far away from us yesterday and we were smoked in. The air quality here was shite so we closed the windows and put the fan on. I have the worst case of allergies so just took allergy tablets and feeling a little more normal.

My wife prides herself on buying things for cheap on these online rummage sites. She saw a coat the other day marked "winter coat for 11-12 year old female" which she recognized as being a North Face coat. She met up with the seller at my PD and the coat was in excellent condition. She got it for $5. It was probably 15-20x that new.

I busted today. Not only did I pick up some things at the store I shopped online and spent $62 on a Cuisinart Grill. Got free shipping though lol I've been wanting a grill/panini (sp?) maker for some time now

19e4f538-45f9-4754-929a-e8577744000a_1.8fef4b48420fc86633aab6b11972f161.jpeg

I saved $25 buying bullets online instead of the local corporate store.
Next month I will repeat the savings and the months after that until I have at least 2000 140 grain bullets for my 357s.
I saved $600 on a new dishwasher for my wife. The old one was a GE and I had repaired it twice in the last year. Every time I fixed it something new has broken. The replacement is a Whirlpool in all stainless. My wife is going to love it!

Got to day 3 of spending no money and the wheels fell off :) .

Yesterday we went to a large town and I purchased some underwear for both myself and DH as I like to have some backups in stock when the others give way and the shop I like to buy them from is not near us so I take advantage of buying them when we are there for other appointments.

Today we bought the other 6 x 5 shelf shelving units to complete our food storage room with so we have far more room for more food now. We also had to purchase another leaf catcher for the rainwater tank as the other one had disintegrated. I also found some nice cool rayon pants to wear for summer as jeans are getting a bit hot and saved $20 on prices elsewhere.

Geez just noticed how the price of clothing is going through the roof over here and glad I picked up all the end of clearance sales clothing as well as op shop new clothing bargains before the prices went insane.

Came home yesterday to discover that apparently we are sparing no expense this Thanksgiving. The grocery delivery was overwhelming at around 2.5x the cost of of normal, to include our freshly killed 25# turkey. I did put my foot down in time to stop the purchase of any alcohol beverages for our guests. If they want to partake in that stuff they can purchase it themselves (not that I am a fan of having it in my home in the first place). So technically that saved us a lot of money. ;)

Wife sent me to the store to buy a cot for a young guest that we did not know was coming. Went to a fleet/farm store and they had a couple folding cots with memory foam mattresses that would not ring up on the sales clerks scanner. He looked at me and said "$45?". I bought both of them. Looked them up online when I got home and they normally sell for around $90-120 each.

bed.jpg

Got paid today.
Rent is paid.
Car payment is paid.
Small loan is paid.
Electric will be paid on Friday.
Have money set aside for ride to doctor's appointments on the 17th and 18th Of December.
Still have to fill up car to the tune of $20, that's for the month.
Still got to pay car insurance on Friday.
Bought a few monthly supplies, groceries.
Strawberry got a box of Milk Bone Snaps because we ran out last night.
Last box lasted 3 months.
Got money in savings, checking, in stash(of course not as much as would like), but some.
Oh, yeah, won at Bingo last night too.
So have the money to pay for several more weeks.
Won't get to play in January, cause of knee surgery.
So that money will go into savings for future date.

Today is pension/ bills day.

Paid rent.
Paid 6 months registration on the car.
Brought 20kg of mixed grain for the chickens.
Did a $50 grocery shop and brought a LOT of junk / frozen convenience foods because it's really, really hot and I just can't muster the care factor to slave over a hot stove. Better to plonk something in the air fryer and heat up the kitchen as little as possible.
Plus the food austerity I've been under has been a chore even though I have eaten well.

I have one free and clear pension before I have purchase another yearly internet and phone subscription.

Wife's at the store right now. They are having a deal if you buy a certain size ham or pork roast you get a 12-15lb turkey for free; and the limit is like 5. So we she is filling up the deep freeze. Plus I am sure she will also buy plenty of other Thanksgiving related stuff in the clearance aisle. She loves to buy Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter items 1-2 days after the fact to use the following year.

I made use of a black friday email coupon code and saved 50% off my total order.
I found a pair of slacks, 2 blouses and a faux sherpa vest. ( I can't get over the prices of fake leather and suede anymore)
I saved $152.38 by buying clearance items and the coupon code. Its pretty much how I shop on that site lol

Busted yesterday as they were having fantastic bargains on Black Friday online only promotions at the grocery store we shop at so I cherry picked items that we were running low on on 50% off or more bargains and bought a grocery shopping gift voucher from our roadside assist club too for the groceries leading up to Christmas.

The savings were -
- $7.90 or 5% by buying the gift card from our roadside assist club which I use for groceries to stock up on.
- With the Black Friday grocery sale we spend $60.64 including lots of fruit and a little vegetables saving a total of $29.50 on usual prices. I will use the rest to buy meat roasts so we can cook them and have then cold with homemade pasta salad as it is getting way to hot to eat hot meals here at the moment.

Today is day 1 of not spending any money today.

@Tank-Girl we are the same and roasting human style here as it is so hot in the mid to high 30's and don't blame you for the minimal cooking at all :) .

@Sentry18 good on your wife for filling up the freezer with bargains and planning ahead :) .

@WVDragonlady a fantastic saving on buying clothing :) .

Last edited:
Question: why do other countries have black friday sales when its an "American" thing because of our Thanksgiving holiday?
Just seems odd to me but if it makes it easier to save money I'm for that lol

Latest posts

Back