How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My greatgrandsons were up about a month ago. The oldest said he was hungry, I hsd cinnamon and sugar on the table as I had just put monkey bread in the oven. He didn't want to wait ,so we fixed him a piece of toast with the cinnamon sugar. He loved it. so I helped him make some to take home wiyh him . my daughter called and said he puts it on everything and ran out so she helped him make some more. she said she bought some at the grocery already made and he wouldn't eat .said it wasn't good like Timmie's.

And I bid Telstra Good riddance!

My Kogan SIM card turned up and it was extremely easy to do the cross over.

My account was in $30 credit which I don't think I'm going to get back but
at this juncture I just don't care.
I'm just very happy to be shot of them.

Now I have to adjust to the new normal which is significantly less data but because it's a 90 day pre-paid plan
I don't have to worry about another bill until January next year.

Freedom is worth a little sacrifice.

And the money I save every month not having a dedicated internet account I can pour into
preps for when SHTF.

Im normally up by 6am..and seldom turn on a light.

When I worked the night shift I'd come home, undress, hang up my clothes and join the wife in bed without turning on any lights. Except for that one early morning when she left the laundry basket in the middle of the bedroom floor, wasn't pretty.

By cooking at home instead of going out to eat.
Made a meatloaf Sunday, so far have gotten 4 meals out of it:
Meatloaf,Hot meatloaf(meatloaf,mp,gb,gravy)
Meatloaf soup,(like beef and vegetable soup, but used a couple of slices of meatloaf crumbled as meat, then vegetable soup)
Meatloaf balls on spaghetti.
The other half of meatloaf will go in freezer for future meals.
I still don't have much of appetite.

I hadn't heard of meatloaf in soup before.what types of soup do you put it into?
I use leftovers to make soup.
So instead of stew meat I used what I had on hand in this case it was meatloaf.
Scrambled it up with garlic, onions, peppers drained some of the fat, mixed well with homemade vegetable soup.
Hamburger soup sort of, kind like.
Will take a couple of slices of meatloaf crumble up mix into goulash for the weekend meals.

A couple of days ago we went and got DH 2 new pairs of dress pants and I found 1 pair for $10 on special with both pairs we saved $92 odd dollars over buying them in the usual menswear shop that DH likes to purchase them from. The menswear shop have put up their prices so much over the last couple of years it is ridiculous.

We also cancelled DH's menswear store credit card for the reasons above and also his bank credit card saving another $20 per year in fees which we can well use to pay off our home loan with if we get it.

Today we purchased a new to us Ford Territory for towing and I haggled the price down and saved $550 on the asking price. DH saved $70 on the home pest and building inspection and saved upon phoning the land surveyor $185 on their original asking price.

We are amalgamating two blocks of land one with our house on it to both lower our rates cost and also in preparation for our old age pension and as our primary place of residence. Here in Australia you can only have one property up to 5 acres on one title as your primary place of residence and if you have two titles on one block the other gets deemed as an asset and your pension reduced.

All in all a good day of saving :) .

Last edited:
Today we purchased a new to us Ford Territory for towing and I haggled the price down and saved $550 on the asking price. DH saved $70 on the home pest and building inspection and saved upon phoning the land surveyor $185 on their original asking price.

We are amalgamating two blocks of land one with our house on it to both lower our rates cost and also in preparation for our old age pension and as our primary place of residence. Here in Australia you can only have one property up to 2 acres on one title as your primary place of residence and if you have two titles on one block the other gets deemed as an asset and your pension reduced.

All in all a good day of saving :) .

That is really clever.
Awesome stuff SC.

I'm making another step towards energy independence with buying another battery and leads for my solar system build.
I had my meter read yesterday and I shudder to think what it's going to be.
The sooner the system is up and running and the bugs ironed out the happier I'll be.

Thank you @Tank-Girl yes we looked at the deeming rules and they are pretty fierce unfortunately about a property on 2 titles. They reduce you pension tremendously on the second block. Fortunately we have a good solicitor in town so he advised us on how to do it and it costs around $1750 to do it but the benefits far outweigh the cost in savings on both rates and pension income reduction. Typo in the 2 acres it should have read 5 acres as primary place of residence which I fixed up.

Great move on your solar setup and I hope it goes well for you. There are lots of ways to be self sufficient even in rentals if you think laterally like we do. I think a lot of people don't try.

Yes understand the gaps you can see daylight through in the old cottages we have the same here in our rental. Depending on the day and after rain usually we cannot close some of the indoor house doors as the house moves so much :).

Keeping on trend here on saving as much money as we can on all things especially now we are buying our home -

- I cancelled my car insurance with one company saving around $150 per year in prices.
- DH organised a multi policy discount with one car insurance company for our 2 cars and additional cover for our trailer saving $123.62 on their already low quote previously.
- Searched for fuel prices on the internet and found an independent service station selling fuel for 8c per litre less than all the others saving another $6.94 by filling up 4 jerry cans.

My sons say I am beyond frugal.
That I am more frugal than my little middle sister.
Sometimes when they says things like that I'm not sure it is a complintment.

Growing up I thought my dad was cheap. When he died he left mom comfortable and with no debts. When we went over what dad had left her, mom's first words were, "He said we didn't have money for new carpeting!" I told mom that dad was more concerned about her financial well being (dad was older by 10 years) then pleasing her temporarily with carpet. As I have grown older I realized that dad was not "cheap" he was financially responsible.

Now that mom makes the financial decisions (up to a degree) she decided that new carpet was not needed, removed the old carpet and had the hardwood floors refinished.

Keeping on trend here on saving as much money as we can on all things especially now we are buying our home -

- I cancelled my car insurance with one company saving around $150 per year in prices.
- DH organised a multi policy discount with one car insurance company for our 2 cars and additional cover for our trailer saving $123.62 on their already low quote previously.
- Searched for fuel prices on the internet and found an independent service station selling fuel for 8c per litre less than all the others saving another $6.94 by filling up 4 jerry cans.

SC I've just found out and I confirmed it using the PetrolSpy app that fuel prices over in New Zealand have risen to between $2.40 to $2.50NZ per Litre.
It's tipped that we'll be following suit in the next 2 weeks.

SC I've just found out and I confirmed it using the PetrolSpy app that fuel prices over in New Zealand have risen to between $2.40 to $2.50NZ per Litre.
It's tipped that we'll be following suit in the next 2 weeks.

That's like $9GAL!! HOLY COW! Good luck y'all.

Today's savings included -
- Made a half batch of chocolate brownie premix saving $18.13 over purchasing it in the shops.
- Made a 1.71 kg batch of triple chocolate walnut brownies iced with homemade buttercream icing saving $95.72 over purchasing them premade in the shops.
- Made a quadruple batch of oat, almond, honey, coconut and sultana granola saving $27.85 over purchasing the equivalent quality premade in the shops.

Today's savings included -
- Made a half batch of chocolate brownie premix saving $18.13 over purchasing it in the shops.
- Made a 1.71 kg batch of triple chocolate walnut brownies iced with homemade buttercream icing saving $95.72 over purchasing them premade in the shops.
- Made a quadruple batch of oat, almond, honey, coconut and sultana granola saving $27.85 over purchasing the equivalent quality premade in the shops.

I'm coming over to your house!!!!:D

*Bought some deli turkey on sale to pack lunches for DH instead of him buying crap food on the road, which is getting expensive anymore anyways.
*Used a coupon on the way home for a pizza and sub - had a hankering for it and I've yet to be able to make pizzeria style pizza at home. It was yummy! It will also be used in lunches for the upcoming week. We should be able to get 4 meals out of what we had a coupon for. So basically it was a splurge done on the cheap.;)

@angie_nrs we shall expect you in however long it takes to fly from the States to Australia, I think around 18 plus hours from now :) , but with DH around I am not sure any of the brownies will be left by then. Him and chocolate anything are a lethal combination and before I even went in to get my piece he had eaten once slice, but in all seriousness they may by some miracle last 3 or more days.

@angie_nrs we shall expect you in however long it takes to fly from the States to Australia, I think around 18 plus hours from now :) , but with DH around I am not sure any of the brownies will be left by then. Him and chocolate anything are a lethal combination and before I even went in to get my piece he had eaten once slice, but in all seriousness they may by some miracle last 3 or more days.

I find they freeze really well so I'd wrap individual portions and freeze them. It may slow him down a little.

Well dang it, I'm going to have to make my own goodies. I try not to do that often though, b/c we just eat em.:p Heck, I won't even make plans to go to Hawaii b/c of the long plane time and the huge cost doesn't make me happy either. Maybe (perhaps) a cruise that far (some day), but NOT a plane ride. I think your goodies are safe from me.

I've got a pumpkin spice cake mix sitting on my countrer right now. I'll likely make that in the next couple of days. The goodies this time of year just can't be beat! I have to force myself to walk by the candy corn this time of year.......LOVE that stuff! But, it doesn't like me.

Latest posts

Back