How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 7 of not spending any money today :) .

We did buy with expenditure on gift cards previously accounted for -

- DH 6 pairs of shorts, a packet of pens and soft drink on specials using our e-gift card saving in total $36.34 on usual prices.
- Purchased fuel to top up 4 jerry cans from a larger town as we had an appointment there also with our gift card and used our supermarket rewards card to get another 4c off per litre saving us $14.78 on buying the same fuel at a smaller town we usually buy it from. That is a huge saving in itself as it means we got just over half a jerry can of fuel free :).

On the lunch side of things we also purchased lunch while out but DVA meal allowance covers that so the money does not come out of our pockets.

Last edited:
Really happy with the no spending here as we went a bit beserk before Christmas and after stocking up on meat markdowns and specials so used part of January's food budget @LadyLocust . We usually do that so we don't have to go near the shops till a bit after Christmas anyway as it gets rather busy although in the country things are a far slower pace.

Loving our air conditioner and we are sleeping better and feeling better too and only using it when necessary for a while and either setting it on a timer or turning it off once the room is cool as it stays cool for a while. No doubt the power bill will increase but in such hot weather it is necessary.

This was the best money I’ve spent in a long time… A few months ago I was looking for some chair throws. I could find nothing I liked, nothing that looked like it would last more than a few months.

I stumbled across some wool blankets online. They were 4.5lb and 88x64 and on sale. I got 2 for $40, navy blue and one olive drab. For something so thin they are incredibly warm. They were perfect for sitting up with my dad in the ICU. They are perfect as throws when the house is cool with the heat on low… just cover up with one and feel no chill!

I do wish someone could explain to me exactly what 4.5lb means.

This was the best money I’ve spent in a long time… A few months ago I was looking for some chair throws. I could find nothing I liked, nothing that looked like it would last more than a few months.

I stumbled across some wool blankets online. They were 4.5lb and 88x64 and on sale. I got 2 for $40, navy blue and one olive drab. For something so thin they are incredibly warm. They were perfect for sitting up with my dad in the ICU. They are perfect as throws when the house is cool with the heat on low… just cover up with one and feel no chill!

I do wish someone could explain to me exactly what 4.5lb means.

I'm probably way off base, but I would guess the 4.5 refers to weight of the material measured in yards of material. I know some other stuff is figured like that. But just a guess.

I'm probably way off base, but I would guess the 4.5 refers to weight of the material measured in yards of material. I know some other stuff is figured like that. But just a guess.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Some weaves are tighter than others. If it was a bulky "thread" which is really yarn when thick than it would have to be a much looser weave. If they are thin and 4.5, it's a nice tight weave.

Sold the wife's 2006 car.
Bought a 2 year old car with low mileage. Will be the last car for us.

Water softener is 24 years old. At ten years the resin tank was replaced under warranty. Replaced it with new and salt tank is in the garage. Last softener for us. No chance of slipping down the stairway while carrying salt.

The Chief Financial Officer (aka Mrs. Sentry18) has declared a 3 year extreme belt tightening. And she is dead serious too. I know because I had to sit for an hour and hear all about it last night, and that included looking at comparative financial projections. While budgeting she calculated that we have 2 1/2 years left on our mortgage and 3 years to make it to our savings goal before my anticipated retirement date of 2023. Not our original savings goal, we already made that, but her new ultra-aggressive savings goal. Plus she wants me to work until 2025 now. Anyway she cut our general spending by $1,000 a month to increase our savings and she wants to free up another $500-$1,000 a month by cutting costs. And all of this because she got a 4% pay raise on January 1st and she started dreaming about early retirement, which for her means 2033 unless we "get really serious" in which case she could retire as early as 2030. Pray for me, I have a feeling my next 3 years are going to be interesting.

The Chief Financial Officer (aka Mrs. Sentry18) has declared a 3 year extreme belt tightening. And she is dead serious too. I know because I had to sit for an hour and hear all about it last night, and that included looking at comparative financial projections. While budgeting she calculated that we have 2 1/2 years left on our mortgage and 3 years to make it to our savings goal before my anticipated retirement date of 2023. Not our original savings goal, we already made that, but her new ultra-aggressive savings goal. Plus she wants me to work until 2025 now. Anyway she cut our general spending by $1,000 a month to increase our savings and she wants to free up another $500-$1,000 a month by cutting costs. And all of this because she got a 4% pay raise on January 1st and she started dreaming about early retirement, which for her means 2033 unless we "get really serious" in which case she could retire as early as 2030. Pray for me, I have a feeling my next 3 years are going to be interesting.
Gun diet????? Poor poor Sentry18!

Latest posts

Back