How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@angie_nrs yes you have the same problem as we do treats just vanish faster than you can look at them here. Now you are tempting me with the pumpkin spice cake sounds like it would be yummy, we don't get those here so have no other choice but to make them here.

I am not good at flying either as it seems like I am a long way up in the air :p, I am the type that likes my feet on the ground and if not my fingers make indents in the arms of the chairs. I am okay once I get up there though but it is just my blood pressure plummets on landing and I pass out (yes I suffer from low blood pressure usually but flying exacerbates it) , not really good unless I can find a seat really quickly or have salt with me. Give me a cruise ship anytime :) .

@Tank-Girl here is the latest opinion on the petrol prices in an article I read this morning -

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/petrol-australia-most-expensive-apos-180833184.html

so it might pay to wait to fill up on fuel. I have noticed in the last few days that a few of the service stations are now trending lower on their prices but some are remaining the same.

We shall buy a couple more jerry cans today while we are out and wait a few more days and see if the prices trend lower. One of our local service stations at the end of our street is selling E10 fuel for $1.479 per litre which is pretty good price compared to the others at around $1.599 per litre.

@Tank-Girl here is the latest opinion on the petrol prices in an article I read this morning -

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/petrol-australia-most-expensive-apos-180833184.html

so it might pay to wait to fill up on fuel. I have noticed in the last few days that a few of the service stations are now trending lower on their prices but some are remaining the same.

We shall buy a couple more jerry cans today while we are out and wait a few more days and see if the prices trend lower. One of our local service stations at the end of our street is selling E10 fuel for $1.479 per litre which is pretty good price compared to the others at around $1.599 per litre.

Thank you SC.

I've been keeping an eye on oil prices and they've dropped to $69 US per barrel so I was hoping our domestic prices would follow but
I pretty much expect petrol stations to price gouge while they can.

The cheapest here at the time of writing this was $1.548 Per litre.
That's still too much.

Today was another good day of savings which were -
- Because we put in a condition in our offer that the sale of the house was conditional on our satisfaction of the pest and building inspection we saved approx $3000 - $5000 on getting the house and wooden structures sprayed for termites, ants, cockroaches and other creepy crawlies. The owners have now got to pay all of that to get the house up to condition before we settle.

I saved some money yesterday...
My left (drivers side) engine mount broke and allowed the engine to torque up and hit the fan guard. I called around and none of the shops can even get engine mounts for a V8 Maverick!
I figured it was probably the same as the one I use on the Muskrat so I went ahead and pulled it out. No good, the Muskrat mount it two inches taller, so I looked it over and decided I could fix the broken mount by bolting the two halves together. I drilled it and put a bolt in it and then found that the nut was too high. No good but I had enough room for a washer. I cut the bolt down, put the washer over the bolt and welded it in place. I put the mount back in and it works perfectly. It is not a solid mount as it still has the rubber in the middle but it can't separate because the bolt holds it together.
1 3/8" bolt ... $0.39
1 flat washer ... $0.16
About 6 inches of wire for the welder - $0.04
A bit of time from me and some skill and the mount cost me $0.59 instead of all the frustration of finding a old parts dealer and waiting on the part to arrive.
I may still look for a correct part for future use and maybe I'll use them in the Muskrat to drop the engine a bit lower in it to prevent interference with the hood.

Got car winterized, oil change etc. so to save money this winter.
Other than that bills are all paid,bit of money in savings, still in checking. at least
Bought just things needed and on my master list.
Did inventory of canned goods, freezer so will have list for next month's grocery list.
Looking good on canned goods, just need meat bundle for freezer.
Then both will be stocked for 3 months.
Meat bundle will give me enough meat for 125 meals at least.
I have butcher divide 5 pound roasts into thirds, sometimes into sixths depending on size from those I will get:
roast, stew, pot pies at least 15 meals, 12 ounce steaks will become 6 ounce steaks so there is approx. 6 more meals,
14 ounces of 6 pork steaks will become 5 ounces of pork steaks and approx 12 meals. This is general idea of how I break my meat bundle for me.
20 pounds of ground chuck becomes 8 mini meatloafs, 36 meatballs,12(1/4 pound) hamburgers, 5 pounds of scrambled beef for spaghetti,goulash, casseroles.
Have 6 whole chickens in chest freezer, 12 quart bags of shredded cooked chicken for tacos, salads,chicken and noodles.
All this meat bundles costs bundle and taxes is 75.75 to last me 3 months at leasts. Also in freezer is 12 pounds of frozen berries:blue, black,rasp.
Also got frozen cherries, apples,peaches,pears.

Picked 15.25 kg of broad beans from the gardens saving $106.75 over purchasing the same amounts in the shops. We will blanch and freeze them today.
Purchased a 50 mm tow ball, a 12 - 7 pin trailer adaptor plug and a tow ball cover for the new to us Territory SUV on eBay saving $66.70 over buying them locally in the shops.

Today we saved more money by also getting the current owners of our home we are buying to fix leaking pipes under the home and also to replace a window that was broken saving us I estimate another $500 over us having to do it.

Can I borrow you next time I have to pay for something???

:) @Weedygarden many have asked the same question and if you were near to me sure I would come with you to buy things like I have with friends over the years. Usually I was the wrangler of the better price on buying new and secondhand cars, bulk new appliances and furniture for my single female friends.

I drive a hard bargain in whatever we buy and DH says jokingly "Oh you are a hard woman". Secretly he loves that I save so much money when we purchase things :) .

We did get advice from our solicitor on putting in the terms of our offer and purchase which we initially put on our original offer so the seller and real estate was aware of it and one of the conditions was for us to be satisfied with the building and pest inspection. The things that were wrong with the property had big price tickets on them to repair and or get rid of termites and bugs so I am not backward in coming forward on getting them fixed as the owners had not sprayed the home or outdoor structures for over 18 months and the pest inspector said the house had not been sprayed for termites on the stumps at all that he could see. The sellers are also clearly pegging the property boundaries with a surveyor too (another condition I put in the sale contract) which saves us another $1000+ over us having to do it.

There will be a few more smaller things that we can deal with ourselves with tradespeople such as replacing a house stump and realigning the gutters on the house.

I have a background as an ex licenced motor dealer selling and buying cars etc and owning secondhand goods stores or I think you know them as "pawn shops" over there, except I didn't do loans on things and just purchased. Bargaining is in my blood much to the shock of anyone we purchase anything from :eek:.

Today we went shopping at BigW and bought a few things for the new home being padlocks, 2 x 4pt surge protectors, 10 x 20cm garden pots with saucers, a USB to mini USB charger cable, a packet of 10 electric cord holders, and for a treat 2 DVD's and with specials and the 5% I get off with the roadside assist e-gift card we saved all up $14 on usual prices.

I have just purchased another e-gift card saving another $5 off fuel we plan to buy once the prices drop a bit and I will couple that with our supermarket rewards to get another 4c off per litre.

DH also found the sway bars for our trailer at a really good price on eBay saving $135 over purchasing them locally.

Last edited:
By the time I paid the electricity bill, 30 ltrs of fuel cost me $50.00, put half of my car registration fee in a separate account I had a grand total of $30
left.
Then I brought chicken pellets and two bulk packs of beef sausages and now I'm flat, motherless broke.
I need to cull my flock because I have too many eaters and not enough layers.

Last edited:
Today we harvested around 30kg of beetroot and 2 bunches of silver beet from the gardens saving around $250. We are taking the beetroot to church tomorrow along with the rest of our silver beet to give away. The 2 bunches of silver beet and some of the beetroot we gave to our neighbour for himself and his chef son.

Wow! at 1.479/L that's about $5.60 USD/Gallon.
At 1.599/L that's about $6.05 USD/Gallon
We're currently paying about $2.85/Gallon in eastern Mass.

@masterspark I know our fuel is ridiculously high in price and if you are looking at premium 95 that you should run your machinery on it is currently $1.72 - $1.77 per litre here at the moment.

To be fair though in Australia our wages are much higher than in the United States so everything is priced according to that I think. It is still criminal the price they charge for fuel here though and most on lower incomes simply can't afford it.

@masterspark I know our fuel is ridiculously high in price and if you are looking at premium 95 that you should run your machinery on it is currently $1.72 - $1.77 per litre here at the moment.

To be fair though in Australia our wages are much higher than in the United States so everything is priced according to that I think. It is still criminal the price they charge for fuel here though and most on lower incomes simply can't afford it.

I paid $50 for 30 ltrs on Friday because I have the pre op clinic on the 7th.

The free bus that is run by the Rotary club only operates on Tuseday and Thursday.
My Ortho clinics always fall on a Wed.

My big saving right now is making Christmas for my family.
Corner to corner shawl for Daughter in Law Laura,
Sock caps for both sons,fingerless gloves,scarfs
Sock cap with ear flaps for Estelle(grand daughter),gloves, dress
New winter coat/sweater for Strawberry(dog).
Using up what I have on hand, not buying anything.
Will make home made candy, cookies and put them in tins I saved from last Christmas.

Latest posts

Back