How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't spent any money since the 22nd of May. Been staying home getting things done.

Tomorrow though I'm going back to the restaurant supply store. I didn't take a list the last time and forgot couple of things. Also some new things are on sale now like steaks ( what the restaurants give you) and seafood

I took the grandkids into Big Lots today; we needed to leave the house for awhile for a 5:15 showing, although they never showed. So, the first time they've been in a store since early March. There were only 5 or 6 people in the store, so easy to distance. They had their own pocket money to buy what they wanted. The checkout guy asked if I was a first responder or medical or teacher or anything for a discount. I told him I was a retired teacher, so he gave me 10% off. I was surprised that they had a few boxes of pasta out today, they've been cleared out since March. The manager said that it's been tough...they only get in 20% of what they're requesting, and they never know what they'll get. He said Walmart was the same, his friend worked there. Said the food distribution chain has totally failed.

I was so thrilled Friday to see a thrift shop open in a neighboring town with a sign out front that read "Men's shirts - buy1 get1"
Also women's clothes so I got me 1 pair of jeans, 3 tops, and 2 shirts for hubby for $11 :) Then yesterday, I had to go get milk so thought since I was out, I would see if any of our thrifts were open - 1 out of 3 was so I popped in. I got hubby 6 shirts for $30 and me 5 tops for $12. I've been patching the patches on a few of hubby's and I have been wearing T-shirts that are about 20 years old - needless to say, they've seen better days. Now as we wear the worst of the worst, we can let them go to the rag pile.

Doggone I have to go to Wal*Mart tomorrow.
Strawberry seems to think she needs dog treats.
I need turquoise paint.

We have 2 12 Y.o_Old dogs and one of them love Milk Bone dog bones. We got it hopng it will help clean their teeth and it seems to work good.
One actually seesm to go through withdrawals when she doesn't get them.We only give her one twice a day after meals.

Spent $99 today at the store ( had a $5 off coupon). Got shrimp, crab cakes, steaks, bbq ribs and TP ( 2 packs lol).
We're set for a while for meat now
TP will be added into the stockpile to start to build it back up

Always good to find TP especially over there @WVDragonlady . Was the same here for sometime but now it is readily available again.
Good you found meat too as I believe that has been in short supply in most places too.

I did save $58.85 on the 26th by using a $25 off promo code, half price specials combined with my 5% off e-gift cards for groceries. Been spending a lot on brand new clothing online of late to top up my wardrobe at mostly $3 and $5 and a few at $10 prices and the last order I saved $876.92 on usual prices.

Going into town to pick up my car that had the brake caliper reconstructed so that will be another $500 spent.

We saved money this month doing out own repairs.
Our old truck was blown,so hubby was told cost would be $3,000.00 :ghostly:and it was out only way to go if van wasn't running.
So Hubby with help from our buddy here @Supervisor42 and others who joined in some too.
Ended up costing about $400. It took awhile but he had to take breaks fro mpain.

Pandemic cost us though.

You only got half the sentence.
But it's okay, but it did make me go check my post.
As far as I'm concerned they are priceless.

I was tired when I read it and it just kinda popped out of the sentence at me. I watched a You tube video titled something like "look what I found at Costco!". The thumbnail above was a picture of a new born baby. :LOL: He was talking about something he bought at Costco and also announcing the birth of the baby but the pict and title struck me as funny.

Busted today big time.
Got drink from Sonic $ 2.59
Got a roll of quarters for laundry.
For every dollar I spend at the laundry mat, have to put equal amount in the fun jar(date night/washer/ dryer fund).
Spent $3.50 at laundry mat, so $3.50 went into fun jar.
Went to Dollar General for the first time in a year.
Spent $25 on shoes, grand daughter's birthday.
Grand total was: $44.59.
Grand daughter got hair barrettes, comb and brush set for her dad's house, bubble bath,finger nail polish with glitter in it.
Granny got sandals, tennis shoes, house shoes.
Not to bad I think.
Granny's feet still hurt.

Granny took back the sandals, tennis shoes, house shoes, flip flops.
Received almost all my money back($34.09 to the good).
Had price tags on everything but 1 pair of sandals,
It had coffee grounds on it.
But had my receipt still.
Hadn't filed it yet in enevlope to be filed in filing cabinet.
Grand daughter's little gifts came out to $4.50
Good day, I think.

I spent $128 yesterday at walmart.
I stocked up on sausage, canned fruits and veggies, pastas and noodles and paper products.

I've since read an article on the inflation going on here with our food and decided to get more eggs and freeze them. Also more canned salmon and chicken.
We may not have chunks of meat but we can have casseroles and soups which would be easier on our meat supply if it came down to it.

Picked up fruits and vegetables today from the place I get my CSA boxes.
Won't need any for several weeks.
Will be getting dehydrator out this weekend.
Got 2 cases of yogurt: 1 blackberry, 1 Hazelnut coffee
2 pounds of turnip greens
8 -8 ounces packages of blue berries
8 -8 ounces packages of raspberries
3-3 pounds of navel oranges
3 pounds of apples
3- 2 pound bags of onions
3 bags of lettuce salad mixes
5 pounds of potatoes
6 pounds of Swiss cheese blocks
3 pounds of sharp cheddar
2 blocks of Mozzerella cheese
5 dozen eggs
Mushrooms
2-2 pound bags of baby carrots
5 pound bag of chicken nuggets
1 package of 6 inch flour tortillas
1 bundle of leeks
12 English cucumbers
Sitting here looking at my dehydrator cookbook so I don't screw anything up
If I think of anything else I'll add it.
I know I scored on fresh items today.
Feeling blessed.

Latest posts

Back