How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went on road trip to KCMO.
Spent $25.
Breakdown: Apple bees dine in lunch $18.21 including tip of $5.
Good service, good tip and I got great service today.
Savers thrift store spent $5.38.
Got quilt frame size I didn't have for $3.59
5 Little Golden Books for Christmas gifts for the grand daughters.
Buy 4 books and get 1 free.
Books were $1.29 each, but on Tuesday's they give Senior Citizens discount of 30%.
Also got Military discount, LEO discount.
Christmas shopping is just about done.
Just got start wrapping, tagging, hiding.

I spent it all yesterday. Almost $700 on herbicides. Imagine a 69 year old guy spraying herbicide from a three gallon sprayer (the kind you stop and pump pressure into) over an area that he freshly cut with a weed-whacker to spread 10 gallons of chemicals. I think before I do that again I am going to get a tag-along sprayer and a quad to pull it.

Just no @SheepDog that is such a hard way of doing it but admire your tenacity to get the job done :) .

We learned the hard way too and bought a 100 litre boom sprayer that we tow on the back of the ride on lawn mower and away we go around the acreage. So much easier and easier on the joints, muscles and bad backs.

We paid about $300 for ours and well worth the investment.

I haven't spent any money for 6 days but this morning I went to the local grocery at picked up some things. Lettuce,bananas,milk,oj and they had some canned salmon so I got a can for the stockpile

If I make a deep dish blueberry cobbler, I will bust.
Just got to have ice cream with fresh out of oven, cobbler.
If I don't make cobbler, then probably no spend day.
Or I might just make blueberry orange bread or muffins.
Then it will still be no spend day.
It's raining again, I don't want to get out for ice cream.
So no spend day after all.

This week, I will finally completely pay off my "Student Loans".
Next month this previous "student loan" money will be split in half will go into saving account and emergency fund account.
Not buying groceries for the next several months.
Come fall will have to buy meat.
But with my many blessing and the dehydrator book I bought, will dehydrate as much as possible for food storage.
Will be making crisps, chips this week for healthy snacks for the future.
Have lots of potatoes to shred, slice for the dehydrator.
Still have fruits to get into dehydrator too before the peaches,pears,cherries, apples come in.
So my dehydrator and I will be busy.
Will bust today, am buying food for Strawberry-1 bag till payday.
Don't want to run out on her food.
Also buying air fryer for $34.99, it's not digital but that's okay while I learn the appliance.

I was on the phone with a friendly rep from Verizon today for an issue I was having with a phone. We were chatting and she said "oh, I see your plan is eligible for a 40% Covid rebate". What?? Do you want me to apply this to your account? Ummm....OK, what's the catch? No catch.....40% line access discount on all your lines due to Covid.....plus there's a $50 rebate on the phone you just ordered last week.:) Well....OK....sure. I'll be checking my next statement very closely, but it looks like I'm gonna like it.

I also received a whopping $16 check from my car insurance company b/c they were mandated to send back everyone some money due to Covid.

I also called Dish to see if maybe they had some "covid discounts or rebates"......nope. They said they couldn't apply any discounts for me b/c I already had the lowest price available. Yeah, right. I told them if I call in a month or two and cancel my account, they'd better not tell me they can give me a better price. Usually they cave when you tell them that, but this turd rep didn't budge. :mad: Still, it's worth a call for anyone else out there who could ask for a one time credit. That usually works with a friendly rep, but of coarse, they will have to transfer you to someone else. And, don't call on Monday (like I did).....they are usually easier to deal with mid to late week.

For anyone who has credit cards, it might also be worth a call to see what kind of covid relief they might have for you.

A few minutes on the phone with any of these providers might pay off bigly.😁 I know I'm probably going to be on hold when I call any of these companies, so I play a game with myself and see how many little chores I can get done around the house while on hold. So, even though my Dish bill isn't any better, my bedroom is tidied up, the phone base is dusted off, the counter is wiped down, batteries are in the charger, and my coffee is made for the morning.

Day 5 of not spending any money today and in fact I added more into our 3 month living expenses account.

Yesterday we picked around 5kg of carrots, 2kg of snow peas and about 100g of cherry tomatoes from the gardens which saved us $73.85 in total if we went to buy organic produce like we grow. We blanched and froze the carrots, snow peas and froze the tomatoes whole for lots of lovely meal ingredients in meal sized portions for the freezer.

Today we saved money by cutting another 1.25 cubic metres of firewood free saving $187.50 over buying it in.

Well I spent $70 at the dollar store today lol But I did stock up on some things that I was low on and that they carry.

They have these red peppers that are pickled but have oil in them too and they are SO good! I use them in sandwiches, salads and pasta salads. Even some casseroles. They're nice and soft and they have a whole clove of garlic in the jar. I wish I had the recipe to make them because I would do all the colors of sweet peppers lol
Stocked up on campbell's soups and pork N beans, my shampoo and conditioner, office supplies

Thursday I have to go to walmart to get ready for hubby's week off next week. Need some things for our meals then

Managed to put $150 into savings account this month.
Half of that is leftover from last month's grocery money.
Just a little bit shy of having deposit on new apartment.
Paid off Student loans.
So that money will be split in two: half will go towards deposit on new place.
The other half goes into saving/emergency accounts.
Bills are paid for the month just about.

Staying home, so no spend day.
Finally.
All bills are paid, but rent and Internet.
Will wait to pay rent, and Internet. next week, waiting to see where I am paying.
Here where I am now?
Or new apartment?
Should know by Wednesday at the lateness.
If I wanted to get out, I couldn't.
Am blocked in by cement truck, white Honda, grey pickup, several larger trucks with large trails attached, mini bulldozer, police car,ambulance.

Last edited:
Reached day 7 of not spending any money and busted yesterday when I bought an e-gift card for both fuel and groceries and put in a huge grocery order online after doing a stocktake of what we had let run down a bit during covid.

I did save 5% on our grocery order using the cards amounting to $14, coupled weekly specials saving another $40 and got another $20 in free groceries using my supermarket rewards card saving in total $74. I had let some grocery stocks run lower due to previous restrictions and topped up on them and the below items in our pick up order.

As these were savings and they are now reinstating some grocery purchase restrictions the day after I ordered (must have seen this one coming) I used these savings to stock up our pantry further on -
- 12 x tins of sliced mangoes.
- 12 x tins of diced tomatoes.
- 12 tins of corn kernels.
- 2 x packets of wheat biscuits.
- 4 packets of confectionery.
- 8 blocks of chocolate.
and finally 2 packets of 12 toilet paper which is now on restrictions of 2 packets nationwide.

Back to day 1 of not spending any money today :) .

Back