How did I save money today?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Friday, last week I picked up my CSA fruits and vegetables boxes.
I was blessed with 3 pounds of yellow peppers.
3 pound bag of Granny Smith Apples.
3 pound bag of plums.
1 bag of Avocados.
3 pounds of Yellow squash.
3 pounds of Zucchini.
5 pounds of red potatoes.
2- 2 pounds bags of broccoli florets.
Bag of lemons
flat of eggs
4 pounds of hamburger.
4 pounds of vension hamburger .
2 pounds of Swiss cheese.
1/2 gallon of milk.
Head of lettuce, 1 big white onion, 2 tomatoes.
The peppers and the zucchini are already prepped and in the dehydrator.
When they're done the apples will be next to go into the dehydrator.
Made good size lettuce salad with head of lettuce, tomato, onion, ribbons of colby cheese.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just signed up for Bountiful Baskets. No idea what is going to be in the regular basket but my tomatoes are just starting to flower so I ordered the 25lb flat of Roma tomatoes so I can get some pizza sauce canned.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I paid my son to fix the car. He pulled the engine, removed the freeze plugs, flushed the engine water jackets, replaced the freeze plugs, changed the transmission front seal, changed the oil, installed a drain cock, and reinstalled the engine. He charged me $350 and I gave him a $20 tip.

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Got to day 9 of not spending any money but busted today.

I did save money however by buying bulk bread improver saving $100 over the price of buying smaller packets in the supermarkets and also purchased prescription cat food on eBay saving $21 over buying it at the local veterinary clinic.

Today I banked multiple supplements and covid payments into our 3 month living expenses emergency fund bringing us to 91.53% of the way there to our goal.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saved alot at Aldi, too. Glad to have one just 15 miles out. Couldn't believe how cheap their basics are for bread, milk, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal. Meat prices are high here, but I did get two fam packs of chicken leg quarters for 89 cents a lb. Still had to spend $20 for a good size beef roast, and hamburger was $5 a lb, so I passed on that. Their produce prices weren't too bad. Their special was a good sized carton of strawberries for 99 cents.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I baked cookies! They are already disappearing...
My ex-girlfriend (one of my wife's best friends) is in town so she has been invited for cookies.
I hope there are some left when she gets here...

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Got to day 16 of not spending any money and busted yesterday when we went to town and got some medication for DH and some comfort food chocolate but I did save 15 % on the medication using our pharmacy discount and a further $12 by buying the chocolate on special.

Today I did the grocery staples shopping online and saved in total using our 5% off using our roadside assistance gift card. using $10 in free groceries accumulated on my supermarket rewards card and coupling specials $27.60 on usual prices.

Last edited:

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Day 3 of not spending any money today.

We had another supplement payment come in today which I banked into our emergency fund and we are now 98.4% of the way to our goal amount :) . On Tuesday we will have reached our goal and surpassed it when I get paid and bank the money.
We are just shy of 90% and should be about 97% beginning of next week. Am looking forward to hitting that goal. They won't let me in many of the stores here which I don't really care about until I actually need something. (We are in the Nazi state of WA.) Anyways, helps on the $ saving front. Last weekend, I did order a book as a gift and a new vent cover for our trailer (wind blew our other one off!!!) Our garden is beginning to produce so haven't even been going shopping for groceries.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Eating out of freezer and refrig freezer, pantry this month, maybe longer.
Throwing grocery money on to extra car payment.
Would like to get that paid off sooner than later.
Got one other small bill I would like to paid off sooner than later too.
I figure 3 or 4 months and that will be paid off too.
Going to start putting more money into emergency fund as soon as that's paid off.
Crocheting blankets for myself, and my grand daughters.
Those will keep us warm this winter and many winters to come.
Mine will be scrappy, oldest grand daughter's will be bright primary colors, youngest grand daughter's will be lilac, mossy green, deep rich purple, cream.
Using what I have making do.
It's my way of life.

Latest posts