How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paid off 4 more bills to the tune of $5000.
Besides making regular car payment.
Will make an extra principle payment every month.
Rewarded my self with apartment size washer and dryer set for less than $500.
Which I also saved.
It's my goal to get the car paid off in 18 months.
Or at least make a heck of dent in it.
Have a bit in checking account.
Also have a bit in savings account.

I made a last minute, kinda unexpected, trip to town today. I didn't really NEED anything, but it didn't stop me from buying. 😬 I had chores to do in town, so I feel better that it's all taken care of and topped off a few things.....including the gas tank.

I went to our box store and found some really good clearance deals, but I had to look for them.....they weren't advertised. I got some heinz gravy mixes for .62 each, some toothpast for .51, and some mens deodorant for $1.04, of which I bought 12 of b/c it was on my list anyways. Wow, I can't believe how much deordorant is now, even though I know the dollar store offers some brands as well. I also had some store bonus's and coupons I cashed out on for extra savings. While walking thru the store I lost my coupon book that had $35 tucked in it with all my coupons. As soon as I realized it was gone, I back-tracked and found it laying on the floor.......whew! After I checkout out, I paused before leaving the store to go through my receipt (like I always do). I was charged twice for an item and had to go to the service desk to get my $6 back. As I was waiting for the refund, I finished looking thru my receipt. I bought an 8 pack of Zest big bar soap that was supposed to be on clearance for $3.81. It rang up at $1.12!o_O After I put the cartfull of stuff in the car, I went right back in and bought 20 more packages and went to the self checkout. In doing that I also earned another $3 bonus back. Woooohooo! Dang, now I'm gonna have to get dirty! That's a lot of soap. Those will be nice additions to the My Soldier packages I need to start sending out again.

Then I went to WM for a couple of things that I can't really get anywhere else. I hate going there. Anyways, they had some dress boots on clearance for $5 and some memory foam slippers for $3. I bought a few pairs of slippers to give as Christmas gifts. I hope I guessed the size right. I also got some LED worklights with magnets for $5.....I got several of them for Christmas presents as well. They also had cotton masks on sale for .25, so I picked up a couple of those just to have in the car in case someone forgets one or it gets dropped in a puddle, as most places require them here now.

I decided to go to the thrift store and stumbled across some awesome deals. I got a king bed mattress protector new in package for $10.....the price tag says $45. I also got a queen mattress protector for a Christmas gift for one of the kids for $12.....price tag says $70.

I ended up going to the dollar store for cleaning products and a few odds and ends. I found the shelf stable milk (that I think Amish or DragonLady mentioned) and bought a half dozen of them. I also found a book there that I'm excited to read. Even if it sits on the shelf, for $1, who cares?

I made a last minute, kinda unexpected, trip to town today. I didn't really NEED anything, but it didn't stop me from buying. 😬 I had chores to do in town, so I feel better that it's all taken care of and topped off a few things.....including the gas tank.

I went to our box store and found some really good clearance deals, but I had to look for them.....they weren't advertised. I got some heinz gravy mixes for .62 each, some toothpast for .51, and some mens deodorant for $1.04, of which I bought 12 of b/c it was on my list anyways. Wow, I can't believe how much deordorant is now, even though I know the dollar store offers some brands as well. I also had some store bonus's and coupons I cashed out on for extra savings. While walking thru the store I lost my coupon book that had $35 tucked in it with all my coupons. As soon as I realized it was gone, I back-tracked and found it laying on the floor.......whew! After I checkout out, I paused before leaving the store to go through my receipt (like I always do). I was charged twice for an item and had to go to the service desk to get my $6 back. As I was waiting for the refund, I finished looking thru my receipt. I bought an 8 pack of Zest big bar soap that was supposed to be on clearance for $3.81. It rang up at $1.12!o_O After I put the cartfull of stuff in the car, I went right back in and bought 20 more packages and went to the self checkout. In doing that I also earned another $3 bonus back. Woooohooo! Dang, now I'm gonna have to get dirty! That's a lot of soap. Those will be nice additions to the My Soldier packages I need to start sending out again.

Then I went to WM for a couple of things that I can't really get anywhere else. I hate going there. Anyways, they had some dress boots on clearance for $5 and some memory foam slippers for $3. I bought a few pairs of slippers to give as Christmas gifts. I hope I guessed the size right. I also got some LED worklights with magnets for $5.....I got several of them for Christmas presents as well. They also had cotton masks on sale for .25, so I picked up a couple of those just to have in the car in case someone forgets one or it gets dropped in a puddle, as most places require them here now.

I decided to go to the thrift store and stumbled across some awesome deals. I got a king bed mattress protector new in package for $10.....the price tag says $45. I also got a queen mattress protector for a Christmas gift for one of the kids for $12.....price tag says $70.

I ended up going to the dollar store for cleaning products and a few odds and ends. I found the shelf stable milk (that I think Amish or DragonLady mentioned) and bought a half dozen of them. I also found a book there that I'm excited to read. Even if it sits on the shelf, for $1, who cares?
I make my own deodorant. If ever that’s something you want to try, just holler. (Easy peasy and inexpensive)

Today I bought 2 weeks worth of grocerys, the most expensive things were a case of Shelf Stable Box Milk ($18) and 4 containers of my wife's Ice-Cream ($16), back filled some cream of soups 99 Cents each total bill for 2 weeks was $120.

Our carrots, lettuce, spinach, and green onions are coming out of the garden (covered raised beds) now so I don't need to buy them anymore.

On the 20th I plan to cut our NetFlix account mostly because I don't support their politics, but they have gone up to over $15 per month so it is time to show them the door.

On Sunday, I made 3 birthday cards on the computer, saved what ever it is they charge for hallmark cards now.

I found a very large container of Nido powdered whole milk in the clearance at Walmart the other day. Bought that. I do have alot of powdered stored, but it's nonfat. And of course the cartoned, but I usually get that in whole. My milk obsession comes from when I lived in NM and couldn't get milk at all in March and April. We went through all our stores of cartoned milk then, and some powdered. Even though now I get raw milk when I need it, I couldn't leave at all when I was covid contagious.

Oh, do tell!! :thumbs: It fits perfectly in this thread.
Deodorant:
1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c corn starch
2 Tbl. coconut oil (not liquid)
10-20 drops essential oil of your choice
Makes 2 sticks (using ladies containers).
Mix well with a fork or back of spoon then press into deodorant container. Let set 2-3 days before using.
*Note* It's easiest to mix if coconut oil is softish, not melted but not rock solid either. Also, some essential oils can irritate the skin so use some caution in choosing. And lastly, it only takes 1-2 swipes. With store-bought deodorant, it's common to go back and forth a half dozed times. If you do that with this, you will soon see little white 'beads" of deodorant all over your floor and furniture - don't ask me how I know that.
:LOL:

I'm thrilled, today I had to pick up a couple things from the store. I go to the over stock sorta store first then follow it up with the little Mom and Pop that carries a decent selection of organic products. I found organic flour at the over stock store @ $4 for 5# - score! I bought 25 lbs. Need to get it jarred up. Also stopped into the thrift shop. Found Hubby 3 more shirts for $3.95 each, a set of bed sheets (Q) for $6.60, a pair of jeans for me for 2.85 and a free bag of red beans. I guess that means I spent money, but not as much as if I had to buy them at regular price.

Today, I made wheat flour, we have "lots" of hard white wheat (I find it less bitter) and we grind it on an as needed basis. We were fortunate to purchase a lot of it a few years ago. I keep about 20 pounds of it in seal-a-meal bags @ 5 pounds each, stored in an Ice chest, pull out one open it, goes right into the grinder to make flour, then we store the flour in Tupperware containers while we are using it. The wife has found that she can blend in a little of the whole wheat flour as part of her normal baking. Today we are making sandwich bread, so I ground a new batch of flour. Using our long term food storage on a daily basis is one way to save money, it also keeps our stores current.

Today, I made wheat flour, we have "lots" of hard white wheat (I find it less bitter) and we grind it on an as needed basis. We were fortunate to purchase a lot of it a few years ago. I keep about 20 pounds of it in seal-a-meal bags @ 5 pounds each, stored in an Ice chest, pull out one open it, goes right into the grinder to make flour, then we store the flour in Tupperware containers while we are using it. The wife has found that she can blend in a little of the whole wheat flour as part of her normal baking. Today we are making sandwich bread, so I ground a new batch of flour. Using our long term food storage on a daily basis is one way to save money, it also keeps our stores current.
Hubby can’t have commercial wheat but can have organic non-gmo. I have some for grinding also but this is the first time I’ve seen it at a bargain price. Urban, me thinks you might be part energizer bunny 🐰 😁
You are absolutely right in that having and using your stores saves.

Been 8 days since we spent any money so pretty chuffed :).

We have been working on lowering our grocery bill which is usually $300 a month here and happy to report we are sitting at $214.25 at the moment. Our grocery stockpile is all up to a 12 month level now except spam that I am waiting to come on special.

Not sure if I mentioned that we got a $500 grocery gift card for referring a friend to the solar company we had ours installed with. We are now on the second month of using that and still have over $300 to use. Hoping to make it stretch a few more months yet.

Great deals.

No spend day.
Been using the pantry, freezer cooking challenge method of cooking.
Will be up dating inventory lists to start saving on meat bundles to refill the chest freezer.
Only have a few packages of chicken left in chest freezer.
So when I get the money saved will be making large meat bundle order.
Meat bundle order usually costs around $350 and last over 6 months to a year depending on the meat like chicken.
My meat bundle usually is around 250 -300 pounds of meat: beef,pork,hams,chicken, veal,turkey,deer,coon,beaver.
Which I then make into portion sizes for 1 or 2 people.
This is how I save money.

We really enjoy having a roast every now and then. They have just been more than I was willing to pay. Local grocery ran rump roast B1G1F this week. Picked up two small ones. Picked up some veggies and fruit also. We are good to go. I have been cooking out of pantry and freezer all month. I am enjoying it.

Back