How did I save money today?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

bkt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OK, this may seem a little dumb, but I've wanted an antique bankers/lawyers chair for my home office. I find them comfortable enough to sit in all day without been so comfy that I want to fall asleep in them. They are ideal for me for working at a desk. A modern version I recently bought fell apart within a few months.

This weekend, I found an absolute piece of garbage chair at an antiques store. It was painted yellow over chipped shellac. But it was comfortable. And it was antique - and it had the very solid mount I was looking for (without hydraulics). I figured I could probably make a Frankenchair out of the parts, at least.

After a few hours of disassembling, sanding and staining, this became the makings of something downright attractive. The oak is outstanding!! A coat of polyurethane and a couple days later, I now have a new-to-me chair that's perfect, and it's probably the last home office chair I will ever buy.

I paid $48 for this ugly thing at the antiques store. Ebay had the same chair for $450 after someone spruced it up much the same way I did. I'll score that a win. :)

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OK, this may seem a little dumb, but I've wanted an antique bankers/lawyers chair for my home office. I find them comfortable enough to sit in all day without been so comfy that I want to fall asleep in them. They are ideal for me for working at a desk. A modern version I recently bought fell apart within a few months.

This weekend, I found an absolute piece of garbage chair at an antiques store. It was painted yellow over chipped shellac. But it was comfortable. And it was antique - and it had the very solid mount I was looking for (without hydraulics). I figured I could probably make a Frankenchair out of the parts, at least.

After a few hours of disassembling, sanding and staining, this became the makings of something downright attractive. The oak is outstanding!! A coat of polyurethane and a couple days later, I now have a new-to-me chair that's perfect, and it's probably the last home office chair I will ever buy.

I paid $48 for this ugly thing at the antiques store. Ebay had the same chair for $450 after someone spruced it up much the same way I did. I'll score that a win. :)
Not dumb at all ~ that's awesome! Would love to see a pix. By the way, that's what I have and love it!

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

"The most efficient form of recycling is reuse."

A good part (used to to most)of our furniture is second or third hand. When my was young he and I used to drive around in the pick-up and "shop" for furniture the night before trash pick-up. Got a lot of good deals.

The chair I in almost every night was rescued from the curb. A while ago I broke the arm and did not want to give up on it.

So I fixed and it as good as it was 30 years ago.

My mother was into upholstery and I read her books and watched her work. Good and bad. I learned what made a good chair good. So I am a furniture snob.

Ever sit on the front edge of a chair or couch and realize your butt hurts after a while? That is because there is a board running along the front edge covered with foam rubber. Good quality chairs and couches had a spring edge on the front.

Edgewire-Thumbnail-539-X-360.jpg

Modern furniture skips that detail and goes with the foam rubber over a board approach.

Some years ago we considered getting a matching set of good chairs for our front porch. I stopped at every furniture store in our area and none of them had spring edges. Further checks showed that I would have to have them custom built!

At that point I decided we will stick with what I have and custom build my own. If I live long enough and get around to that project.

Ben

bkt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not dumb at all ~ that's awesome! Would love to see a pix. By the way, that's what I have and love it!
This is the back before I did any work. The whole chair looked like this.
back-s.jpg

While far from perfect, it suits my needs and looks a lot better.
chair-s.jpg

This image makes the chair look a bit blotchy, but it's actually not like that.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Finally sold the last army truck sunday so no more insurance payments.
Using that money to pay for a local mechanic to go over our other vehicles and fix what needs fixed.
Hopefully that will make them last a good many years more since we don't drive that much. ( no road trips, vacation,etc)

We'll be on a fixed income next year ( about 1/3 of normal) so we're trying to think ahead so we don't get hit with too many unexpected bills and lowering what bills we can. Can never be certain completely but fixing things now will certainly help some