How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this would qualify as "saving money" since technically I spent it. But I went to HD and bought flowers most of which were at a reduced price. I didn't plant any last month when I usually would because of the "heat dome." I was just trying to keep garden items alive. So I did it today.

Sound dangerous.
Not really 😂

I asked around among the farmers around me and people who take care of their own plants and one of the most mentioned ingredients is black soap, for those who can't afford to buy the chemical, artificial stuff and prefer to make their own.

A soap spray is better than a commercial pesticide that you're putting on something you're going to eat. I try to spray off problems first, or hand pick off bugs or eggs. As in the case of squash bugs. There was just a masacre (by me) in the garden at dusk this evening. Then the diatamaceous earth visited them.

I live in an apartment building that has a laundry room downstairs. The machines are operated with a card that you put money on. It is $1.75 for washers and $1.50 for dryers. Since I was used to washing my laundry by hand, it was not and still is not hard for me to wash my clothing and bring it upstairs to hang on my shower curtain rod to dry. I do not like to put it in the dryer and think it lasts longer this way. I only use the dryers for bedding and towels. My budget for laundry is $20. a month and I think I do it about once a week.

I live in an apartment building that has a laundry room downstairs. The machines are operated with a card that you put money on. It is $1.75 for washers and $1.50 for dryers. Since I was used to washing my laundry by hand, it was not and still is not hard for me to wash my clothing and bring it upstairs to hang on my shower curtain rod to dry. I do not like to put it in the dryer and think it lasts longer this way. I only use the dryers for bedding and towels. My budget for laundry is $20. a month and I think I do it about once a week.
I'm in the country and love my clotheslines!! Easier on the clothes, cheaper, and I love the sight of laundry in the breeze!!

I'm in the country and love my clotheslines!! Easier on the clothes, cheaper, and I love the sight of laundry in the breeze!!
I used to love it too. Even did all my laundry by hand outside. I got where I could not do it anymore. Especially hanging it up. My husband had to do it.

Yesterday, I scored a bunch of canning lids and rims for $5. I didn't need more rims/bands, but it was $5 for all. I think 3 bx of wide mouth lids, 3 of reg. mouth plus a couple boxes of lid & rims - all new in box. She said she was done canning,

Not spending money.
Not going very many places therefore saving gas, wear and tear on my new to me car.
Low mileage saves on full coverage car insurance.
2015 Fiat 500 Lounge that I bought in April of 2017 had just 31 miles on it.
Just now hit 1324 miles on it.
Do routine car maintenance every 3000 miles whether it needs it or not.

I am retired, but DW is still working, so we have a big gasoline bill, which is better than a shut down, where younger persons are forced out of a job.

I bought a bunch of coils of forever stamps. They are .55 now, but are going up to .58 on August 28th or 29th.....can't remember which. I still have some from many years ago, but bought them for family members.

ALL rates are going up....postcards too. I don't know if they have forever postcard stamps or not, b/c I don't use postcards.
Now's a good time to stock up if you need stamps.

I am staying home.
Haha. Me, too. That certainly saves money.
I bought a bunch of coils of forever stamps. They are .55 now, but are going up to .58 on August 28th or 29th.....can't remember which. I still have some from many years ago, but bought them for family members.

ALL rates are going up....postcards too. I don't know if they have forever postcard stamps or not, b/c I don't use postcards.
Now's a good time to stock up if you need stamps.
I have tons of forever stamps I bought several years ago.
Making a dress to wear to my oldest son's wedding in October.
I have the fabric, thread, pattern and time.
I’d like to see pictures when it’s done.

I'm not doing a very good job of saving money, I am spending on food, canning supplies, and general preps.... I'm sure that the food I buy today will be less expensive than what it would cost if I buy it tomorrow. I did buy some solar panel gear and got a 15% discount, but I still spent that other 85%...

I called the bank and had them reverse 7 overdraft charges they made to my account. The account was not over drawn but they felt they had a right to steal my money under the guise of this bank fee. Most people do not question an overdraft charge but SEVEN!? Someone got greedy.

Grimm, I learned gardening from my father, all other plants & horticulture from a local Nurseryman.
His wife went over the monthly statement & questioned every fee, got most of them removed.

Latest posts

Back