How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joel, I use 2 parts powdered sugar, 2 parts dry milk, and 1 part cocoa. I dehydrate mini marshmallows for it, too. I have a big glass jar of it on the counter and the grandkids help themselves.
I think that right, I have too much coco & I like it strong, but not as strong as I made it. Thanks.
I mixed 1/2 gallon glass jar for me, no grandkids.

The last two days I have dehydrated 4 dozen eggs I purchased on sale for $2.50 a dozen using our free solar power and saved $40.56 over buying the commercial ones that you have to use twice the amount of :).

I probably won't be saving a lot of money but instead spending it to stock up with the latest news of grocery inflation going through the roof over the next 4 months here. I will try and pick up as many specials and markdowns as I can and use promos to lessen the bill a bit. We have been putting money aside for a large stock up for a while so this has been planned.

The last two days I have dehydrated 4 dozen eggs I purchased on sale for $2.50 a dozen using our free solar power and saved $40.56 over buying the commercial ones that you have to use twice the amount of :).

I probably won't be saving a lot of money but instead spending it to stock up with the latest news of grocery inflation going through the roof over the next 4 months here. I will try and pick up as many specials and markdowns as I can and use promos to lessen the bill a bit. We have been putting money aside for a large stock up for a while so this has been planned.

I'm interested in how you dried them? We tried it a couple of months ago, and kept finding chunks that were still moist in the center, so we didn't feel comfortable that they would be good in long term storage and ended up feeding them to our animals. I'd love any tips you might share!

@TeeJ probably the layers you put in the dehydrator trays were too thick and they didn't dry properly. I find that about 5- 6 eggs per dehydrator tray works well and 10 hours in the dehydrator on 65 oc works for us (let you convert to F) . Also really important to mix them properly in a food processor for 1 - 2 minutes until nice and fluffy to blend them well and break up the whites and then pour into dehydrator trays. I also put them in the food processor to powder them down once dry.

If you find they are still wet then give them longer in the dehydrator is the solution. Also if you have an older dehydrator without a very effective fan you will need to rotate the trays halfway through so they dry evenly.

The texture of home dehydrated eggs is more grainy than the shop purchased ones just to let you know. That is because the shop purchased ones remove the natural sugars in the eggs and some fat I think. These are good for baking but I would not use them for things like scrambled eggs.

Last edited:

We have more can beans then we could eat in a month, at three meals a day. Then she comes home with can beans on sale $0.25 a can.

@TeeJ probably the layers you put in the dehydrator trays were too thick and they didn't dry properly. I find that about 5- 6 eggs per dehydrator tray works well and 10 hours in the dehydrator on 65 oc works for us (let you convert to F) . Also really important to mix them properly in a food processor for 1 - 2 minutes until nice and fluffy to blend them well and break up the whites and then pour into dehydrator trays. I also put them in the food processor to powder them down once dry.

If you find they are still wet then give them longer in the dehydrator is the solution. Also if you have an older dehydrator without a very effective fan you will need to rotate the trays halfway through so they dry evenly.

The texture of home dehydrated eggs is more grainy than the shop purchased ones just to let you know. That is because the shop purchased ones remove the natural sugars in the eggs and some fat I think. These are good for baking but I would not use them for things like scrambled eggs.

Thanks - we'll have to try them a lot thinner next time, that's the only thing I can think of. We have an Excalibur dehydrator that normally does awesome, and we ran them for 48 hours, so they definitely had enough time!

I'm saying no spend day #2.
But I have to tell: I had everything in the cart at bulkfoods.com but had to contact them about an issue I was having when I tried to place the order. Today was the 3rd day in a row I've called & finally got a human. I want to see how many days I can go without spending so this weekend got what I thought I would need. So truth is, I just pressed the submit button today since I couldn't over the weekend :confused:

Could you hard boil the eggs, slice them thin, and then dehydrate them?

Also, how do you store them after dehydrating them? Do you put them in glass jars and take the air out and seal them with a food saver?
I'll have to give that a try - especially with quail eggs, those seem to build up as some family members aren't as keen to use them!

Well not today, a couple days ago. I took advantage of the free Thanksgiving dinner complements of Ibotta+Walmart.

I got my turkey, along with all the other free stuff. More than $25 worth of food for free!
I did it last year too, and with the way things are going, I'm surprised they did it again this year.
My free turkey in the pic.

Attachments

• 20211102_173410_HDR.jpg
    20211102_173410_HDR.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 7
No spend day going on 10 days.
Too busy making Christmas quilts out of fabric stash.
Have made 6 simple flannel little girl nightgowns for Christmas.
Size 12 months for Baby Reign is blue cats with sleep caps, pink background on their head.
Size 5 for oldest Grand daughter same flannel fabric as Baby Reign's.
Size 6 for bonus grand daughter same flannel fabric as the grand daughters.
Size 12 months sleep cap matching flannel night gown.
Size 5 and 6 night caps matching flannel nightgowns.
Figured I save about $55 maybe more.
Flannel is out of my fabric stash.
Made sleep pants boys size 12 also out of fabric stash.
Made boys size 12 fleece bathrobe savings maybe $20.
Maybe more.
Pinching pennies where ever I can,

Well not today, a couple days ago. I took advantage of the free Thanksgiving dinner complements of Ibotta+Walmart.

I got my turkey, along with all the other free stuff. More than $25 worth of food for free!
I did it last year too, and with the way things are going, I'm surprised they did it again this year.
My free turkey in the pic.
That a new one on me, I paid $0.87 a pound. DW knows about Ibotta+Walmart, I never heard of it.
Sounds like a good thing for the tread "tips."

I discovered a grocery store going out of business and dropped 300$ on canned stuff that was selling at half price for some items!
My Winnie is so packed I can barely walk through it!

Still counting it as a No Spend Day since can't really stock up on milk and fresh veggies (certain groceries are planned.) No extras. So NSD #9

Also, they had turkeys on sale: $14 off w/ $30 purchase so got my turkey for $7.99 🦃
We'll let you squeak by, only because you are doing the Christmas count down!!😉😊

No Spend day.
Cooking at home.
Reuse, recycle etc.
Sewing is in full swing for family I sew for.
Also doing quite a bit of mending for various people.
Almost have enough saved to pay personal property taxes next month with out getting to fixed saving account.

Mo, you have her beat, weren't you at 10 days?
Mo's awesome!
I'm on #10 though I did receive my final order from last month :) No more orders to come in. I am hoping to make it to about the 21st if possible. Need a few things for Christmas that will need to be mailed, so we'll see. I just want to get myself back in check - don't like how $$$ was going so easily.

Latest posts

Back