How did I save money today?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So I made it 14 days - broke today. I'll share more over in the shortages thread.
I went for milk and eggs this morning and was shocked by what I saw & didn't see. I did get another turkey for $8 and 2 ea. 5 gal. buckets of lard for $65 each. (as well as milk and eggs.)
The other reason is I'm hoping to do a craft sale in a couple weeks and needed a few things to finish up some items.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I messed up, I went to the store to get one loaf of bread, one gallon of milk, one pack of sliced cheese.
I came home with $222.63 grocery, saved $46.83 & $3.89 gas for $2.89 saving $1.00 per gallon for a $17.00 saving.
Most of the grocery was ingredients were for fruit cakes, but still I spend way more than I saved.

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I needed a sleeping pad for a dog house, and a shepperd. The large pad was $39. The medium size was on sale for $10. So I bought 2 of the mediums. Sewn together they are bigger than the large mat.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I will spend a bit tomorrow maybe $10.
I'm out of coffee.
Have enough coffee for one maybe two more pots of coffee.
Otherwise just staying home, trying not to buy anything.
Will spend a bit of money Wednesday.
Crock pot quit and caught on fire.
Of course I use the crock pot quite a bit.

Pearl

The cleaning lady
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm out of coffee.
Time for a new crockpot🔥!

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm out of coffee.
Might check a thrift store for a crock pot of you have time. I see them like new all the time. Also, coffee doesn't count - it's a necessity 😁

DrJenner

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Brought a K-cup for my chai latte to work, instead of buying a $4 one downstairs.
Except then I had to pay out $500 deposit for club vball for my daughter. :dancing:

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This past pay, I somehow managed to have $54 left over for the emergency fund.
Have no idea how that happened. I've been grabbing extra every time I go to the stores

As much as prices are going up I imagine I'll be using that fund to buy food.

Did get 400 points, so I have a certificate for a free ham (store brand) up to 20lbs. Plan on getting a spiral cut next week 🙂

JustMe

Super Friend
Neighbor
Yes, a large batch. Probably freeze them at least at first. If I find a pressure canning recipe I trust, I'm sure I'll try it!
If you do find a pressure canning recipe please let me know. I am going to make my own refried beans after Thanksgiving, wish me luck!!

I've made & canned them only using some garlic, onion & bacon, but it wasn't enough seasoning to my liking and added some taco seasoning after opening for better flavor. So it did help. Probably the next time I can some up, I'll add the seasoning first.

I just do the no soak method to can the beans.....then mash some of them while heating. I like refries to have some whole beans mixed with the mashed.

JustMe

Super Friend
Neighbor
I had went to the store the other day and spent more than I intended.....always seems to happen that way. But I found a bunch of marked down meats to fill the freezer. Including a couple of whole chickens, that I cut up to make more meals from. Wings always go in their own pile that I save up until there is enough for a 'wing feed' meal, then leg quarters, then the breasts. The rest of the carcass is saved for a future bone broth project.

That's alot cheaper and easier than raising & butchering my own

Pearl

The cleaning lady
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've made & canned them only using some garlic, onion & bacon, but it wasn't enough seasoning to my liking and added some taco seasoning after opening for better flavor. So it did help. Probably the next time I can some up, I'll add the seasoning first.

I just do the no soak method to can the beans.....then mash some of them while heating. I like refries to have some whole beans mixed with the mashed.
I like doing pintos in the pressure cooker because you don't have to soak.

Latest posts