How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Game plan for Monday Pension day...

Pay rent.
I have set groceries that I need to buy like
- low carb breakfast meal replacement to mix my fenben and MCT oil into.
- Pure cream.
- Stevia.
- Coffee of the leaded and unleaded varieties. I have to drink decaf after midday or I can't sleep.

After that I'm going to buy trial samples of the low carb protein shakes and powdered MCT oil to see which I like best and then buy those flavors in bulk after I try them when mixed with the FenBen and the MCT powder.
I NEED to secure that "food" source ASAP before shipping becomes problematic.

I need to buy more DIM, Berberine, Milk THistle and Claratyne as part of my normal sup regimen.
These cost approx $50.00 per bottle and they need to be brought online.
It's the reason WHY I try to keep the types of sups to a minimum - the expense.
So, if I have sups that overlap in their effect and or one sup does more than another type of sup I drop the sup with less utility.

I saved bunch of money yesterday. Hubby hasn't had a beer fridge since we took the little one to the shop to replace the one that died there. He was whining around looking online etc. for a cheap fridge. One of our freezers can be a freezer or refrigerator. I consolidated and crammed everything in the other freezers so we could switch that one to refrigerator at least until we get beef in the fall. He's happy. My hope is that it uses less power than freezer mode. It's handy to have the extra fridge space, but not a necessity.

I don't typically buy milk, but when I do I usually get a gallon b/c the price difference between a half gallon and a full gallon are minimal. I usually just use what I need and give the rest away. I was asked to make a recipe for a luncheon that calls for milk, so I bought a gallon. Then I thought, why the heck don't I just put the rest of it in quart jars and freeze it until I need it again for a dish? Why the heck haven't I thought of this before???? Duh! So, that's what I did and what I will be doing in the future. It also saves me from having to go to the store when I need milk for a recipe.:)

I don't typically buy milk, but when I do I usually get a gallon b/c the price difference between a half gallon and a full gallon are minimal. I usually just use what I need and give the rest away. I was asked to make a recipe for a luncheon that calls for milk, so I bought a gallon. Then I thought, why the heck don't I just put the rest of it in quart jars and freeze it until I need it again for a dish? Why the heck haven't I thought of this before???? Duh! So, that's what I did and what I will be doing in the future. It also saves me from having to go to the store when I need milk for a recipe.:)
I find I often have a bit of buttermilk left over after making soda bread that I forget about, so preempted this by measuring out just over a cup into little plastic containers and freezing. I used to buy goats milk to keep frozen for emergencies, but then I realised ordinary milk freezes just fine. The things they don't teach you in school :rolleyes:

I kind of saved money today. I probably shouldn't have spent it in the first place, but when I was waiting for the youngest last week I mooched around a posh gift shop in town. It has everything from Le Cruseut to picture frames and bath bombs. Anyway, in the kitchen section, they had lovely aprons made by Ulster Weavers- I nearly fainted at the prices - from 45 to 75. The currency really doesn't matter when you are looking at those numbers! I don't have an apron but thought- sure I'll make one. But later, on Vinted (like eBay) saw exactly the same one I fancied 'unwanted gift' for 10. Still in wrapper 😍 She took 8 and will post it. As they say here, I'm chuffed. Obviously, I was meant to have it, I tell myself!

Can you make buttermilk out of goat milk? just curious.

BOT I'm storing my laundry in totes so I only have to go to the laundry mat when I have to.

How did I save money today? I didn't buy a new truck, tractor or boat. Didn't buy a new corvette or Lamborghini. Didn't even buy a $500 bottle of Scotch, a $100 Cuban cigar or a thousand $$ hooker. So I guess I saved over a million $$$ today.
Somewhere a hooker is saying 'I didn't make money today'

I've not been great these past two weeks; money is a bit like rain as OH is self employed - it's all or nothing - back to tightening up when everyone's gone. Though I have been doing a bit of a larder restock and bought a few gifts to put by for birthdays and Christmas- good quality shirts for the boys on Vinted, with labels, €5 instead of €35.

The greenhouse project has cost me $25 so far.

20220822_153345_HDR.jpg

Aside from the bulk truckloads of soil I will need when I upgrade raised beds next year, I may not have visit a garden supply center for a year or more.

Ben

Initial insurance quote for daughter's first car on learners licence- including discount - €1,354
New quote, with no discounts other than a restriction on mileage (which is fine as she is away at college most of the year) €874
Her friend, on the same kind of car, but with full licence, having been driving and completed her test just paid €2000!!

My threads are all butcher-related today! While getting my shin beef he mentioned he had extra stock from another butcher who was closing down. Large chicken fillets are €2 each; but I buy a box of 25 at a small discount occasionally from him. So today I got a box for €33- that's a lot of dinners.

Back