How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped into a place this morning which would be like Home Depot; they have some trays of good size seedlings for sale, so I got some lettuce and Broccoli. $2 for 24 plants, that will be ready well before my seeds are up. I've used up nearly the fruit and veg I stored last harvest, I only have some rhubarb, blackcurrants and chopped leek still in the freezer. Before Covid I bought bulk through my old job, and I've just used up a lot of that stuff also. I still have a stash, but need to up it again. Keeping all receipts to really track my spending. My downfall are book sales and second hand woolly jumpers. But they are really investments ;)

I saved money today, I didnt go anywhere to spend any money.
Well it was yesterday. I got to use my math skills. :)
Since we had finally used up most of our 'covid-panic' TP stockpile,
DW picked up a bale of Charmin Ultra Strong TP at Costco.
30 rolls for $26.
She went to Sams(WM) next and saw 32 rolls of Charmin Ultra Strong for $25 and grabbed one also.
That was a better buy, right?
No.
You have to know what WM does to shaft their customers. :mad:
They have manufacturers make a product to their specifications.
Their rolls are 3/8" narrower and with fewer sheets.
Enter the math guy:
Sams: 700 sq-ft for $25 = 3.57¢ per sq-ft.
Costco: 805 sq-ft for $26 = 3.25¢ per sq-ft.

Last edited:
I saved money today by leaving the cap on the handle of rum, lol... I put a pretty good dent in the bottle yesterday, 10-4? I've only had a couple of beers today, and I never took that belated birthday bong hit either... not in the mood, lol. Meh, the weed is in the fridge, so it'll keep awhile. At my age, I tend to stick with alcohol, it does the job, lol. Every now and then I'll load the glass bong, but not very often. Yard time is so peaceful and relaxing here that I don't need any weed, aye? My 1/2-acre yard is like a private park, I really enjoy time spent on my property (weed-whacking NOT included, lol). :cool:

I saved money today by leaving the cap on the handle of rum, lol... I put a pretty good dent in the bottle yesterday, 10-4? I've only had a couple of beers today, and I never took that belated birthday bong hit either... not in the mood, lol. Meh, the weed is in the fridge, so it'll keep awhile. At my age, I tend to stick with alcohol, it does the job, lol. Every now and then I'll load the glass bong, but not very often. Yard time is so peaceful and relaxing here that I don't need any weed, aye? My 1/2-acre yard is like a private park, I really enjoy time spent on my property (weed-whacking NOT included, lol). :cool:
It is certainly a gift to like where you are WN.

Ran my monthly numbers yesterday. Spent the least per month since July of 2018. Had to go back and look out of curiosity. And, out house payment then was about 40% less than our rent is now. Not sure how I managed that one but we'll make up for it this month or next depending upon when the bill hits, but our beef was just butchered so that's always a big number.

I started saving money in different ways.
1st.i turn the ac off when i go to bed for the night. Then turn it back on the next day.when it finally gets to warm.

2nd.i only go to the store when i need 4 item's or more.save gas that way.

3rd.i freeze bottles of water.in turn.i keep bottles of ice in the fridge.and swap them out when needed.that cuts down on the electric bill.

4th..i buy foods that can be eaten different ways.

5th.i live in a small town.so i took the time to learn which big town food store is closest. Shorter distance. Means less gas.

6th..I've been doing this a few years now..a battery charger and the necessarily amount of rechargeable battery's. Is cheaper then buying non rechargeables every 2 weeks.

7th.i have a shopping app that allows me to include the price.with the items im buying. I stay within my budget this way.

8th..i love planning ahead on meat patties..i bake 8 to 16 at a time.what dont get eaten that day.gets put into zip baggie then into the freezer.
We just started using rechargeable batteries, found that a charge on four "C" cells in my favorite flashlight last as long as the Duracells I've been using and they don't leak, Nuon brand from Batteries+.

I used my Kroger card to save 0.10 cents per gallon of gas.
$3.019 instead of $3.119 per gallon for 16.5 gallons or $1.65 cents.
every little bit helps, count your pennies & the dollars will take care of themselves.

I genuinely don't think there are ways to save here anymore - the best is picking up the sale items in the supermarket that are on their sell-by date. Most of the food in the bargain section though, is still not cheap (as I confirmed one day when I watched a man, obviously down on his luck, tossing everything about and muttering these weren't bargains) He was right, it was mainly smoked salmon and stuff that was expensive anyway. I'm not in town often enough, or at the right time, to benefit from them. The best thing to do is spread it about a bit, so I've been buying vouchers here and there for my Christmas shopping and collecting vouchers by doing questionnaires. I've a few bits got, and will take stock this week.
I let some things run out, with a view to refreshing them in Aug/Sept. But I realised if I didn't have them I didn't use them, and nobody died :D so reassessing what I 'think' we need, and maybe change our eating habits a bit more.

I genuinely don't think there are ways to save here anymore - the best is picking up the sale items in the supermarket that are on their sell-by date. Most of the food in the bargain section though, is still not cheap (as I confirmed one day when I watched a man, obviously down on his luck, tossing everything about and muttering these weren't bargains) He was right, it was mainly smoked salmon and stuff that was expensive anyway. I'm not in town often enough, or at the right time, to benefit from them. The best thing to do is spread it about a bit, so I've been buying vouchers here and there for my Christmas shopping and collecting vouchers by doing questionnaires. I've a few bits got, and will take stock this week.
I let some things run out, with a view to refreshing them in Aug/Sept. But I realised if I didn't have them I didn't use them, and nobody died :D so reassessing what I 'think' we need, and maybe change our eating habits a bit more.
Changing eating habits is a thing. I mean it's catching on in a big way. So much so that it caught the attention of executives at Wally world!

The cover story and headline is "it's the rise of popular new diet pill ozempic". Because they don't want the masses to ever realize their own power of self control. Big pharma is still in charge.

1. You eat what we want you to so you feel lousy and complain to your friendly neighborhood doctor. 2. he offers you a colorful and scientific sounding pharma (free sample first, knowing that you come back for more! Sounds familiar?) Rinse and repeat process. Money made on providing garbage, money made on providing cure for garbage.

The truth is behind the cover story. Covered up by a different narrative that will never make the news report. The renewed effort to censor and ban you tube influencers who might be gaining too much participation from success loudly exclaimed in the comments section with individual affidavits? We can't have the truth sneaking through the cracks and damaging our expensive narratives!

Well, this month won't be half as frugal as last month.
Received the bill for our beef 😖 It's the most I've ever paid.
Comes out all up to $5.10 / lb which is a bargain compared to what's in the store.
That's for steaks, roast and everything. Still cheaper than HB in the store.

Local grocer had pork slabs on sale for $1.58.

I stocked up. Brought them home. Steeled my butcher knife and cut into nice 1/2 inch thick steaks for the air fryer. Put most of it in the freezer, double wrapped in two pounds packages. Eating high on the hog?

20231017_224432_HDR.jpg

:rolleyes:

Ben

== ==
Chuckle.... I do this also... Shake a table spoon of warm water in the bottle to be drained and you will get every bit possible out.. Then shake up the filled bottle.. A small bit of water won't be noticed..

I also monitor and use cents off gas credits from the local grocery.. Like said, if I can save close to $1.50 a fill that equates to most of a free coffee at McDonalds.. Doesn't sound like much, but a real treat to me..

Well..... At least I tried to save money... Here is a post I just put in ...whats everyone doing today..
it likely better belongs here... It is worth the effort as depending on your state and insurance company it seems you can save 10% or more all depending...
== ==
I see online the local seniors center offering a ..senior drivers course renewal class.. I looked into it to find you need to complete the mandatory 8 hour primary course...

AARP offers a ..senior driving online course... that will entitle you to an insurance discount.. This course is $30, so I find there is a state sponsored same course for $20... I ground through the course in the better part of a whole day, took lots of notes, and got a 98% on the exam.. Printed the certificate and presented it to my car insurance co.. Only to be told ...we don't honor this... Maybe after almost 60 years I need to shop for better insurance.... !@#$% Buggers...

Hubby doesn't usually like chicken but since making all this hot sauce, he thinks maybe some spicy wings might be good so asked me to get some chicken. I went to the store this morning. I did get some wings, but they had drumsticks marked down for quick sale. I got 12-15 lbs of drumsticks for 69 cents/lb :dancing: I will divvy them up this evening and get them in the freezer.

I went to the store this morning. I did get some wings,

I wish I could make a batch of wings but man are they pricey. I looked a couple weeks ago and it was 16-18 dollars for a package of them, darn near a buck apiece..

Hubby doesn't usually like chicken but since making all this hot sauce, he thinks maybe some spicy wings might be good so asked me to get some chicken. I went to the store this morning. I did get some wings, but they had drumsticks marked down for quick sale. I got 12-15 lbs of drumsticks for 69 cents/lb :dancing: I will divvy them up this evening and get them in the freezer.
Umm..Hot wings. A couple nights ago I made some "mild" chili. It kept me up all night. I added some hot sauce that someone gave me. That must of set it over the top.

Umm..Hot wings. A couple nights ago I made some "mild" chili. It kept me up all night. I added some hot sauce that someone gave me. That must of set it over the top.
I'm sorry it kept you up, but you hot sauce guys crack me up! Hubby's been eating it in the evening with cheese and crackers.

Latest posts

Back