How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy @Sewingcreations15 I haven’t “seen” you for a while. Glad you were able to stock up before/between restrictions.
I placed the second order for the tatler canning lids today. They are on sale (15% off I think) until the end of the month. By using the credit card I get another 1% off and they will be on next month’s bill- pay it off each month so am cautious about what goes on it. Also will save long term since they are reusable. 😁

Well done @LadyLocust on stocking up on sales no less as the madness is continuing here in Australia again with a surge in infection rates in one state in particular. More shortages of clothing, underwear, socks I believe for adults and sheets and towels too from what I hear. Fortunately we had new "spares" everywhere.

Great to couple discounts to save more where we can :D . Yes saw it coming and happened the day after I ordered and likely will spread more restrictions no doubt.

Day 3 of not spending any money today but will bust tomorrow when we get a few additional things when we grocery shop.

Today we also cut 1.12 cubic metres of firewood free saving us $168.75 over buying it. Stacked in yet another pile near the lean-to shed to dry.

Also saved after our boots arrived that were supposed to be ee width turned out to be much narrower so I emailed the seller and said that these were nowhere near wide shoes. She agreed to take them back and refund us on the boots and 3/4's of the return postage.

Yesterday and today: My sandals are 5-6 years old and shot. Went yesterday and found a pair 1/2 off (good sport style water proof.) Found a duffel bag today but no tag on any of them. When I went to the counter with it and asked, he said "Do you want it?" I responded I did but needed to know how much it was. "It's yours, take it." Back and forth in disbelief and offering to pay, but he wouldn't let me. He said they would take care of it (there were 6-7 more on the rack.) I thanked him gratefully. So free duffel bag. I don't want to take my nice suitcase on a very rugged trip this weekend.

I saved $33.88 today at my local grocery store this morning
Also picked up 193 bonus points today from buying products I needed anyway
So now I have enough points to get 20 cents off a gallon of gas using my store card.
Bought ham steaks with a BOGO sale
They also had ground pork on sale so I bought 3lbs of that
Chicken thighs were again on sale for 99 cent/lbs so I bought 2 packs at 5lbs each
They had canned crab meant so I bought 2 cans of that since I've been using up what I had in the pantry to rotate it
Bought 3 strips of yeast. Its now up to $1.99 per strip of 3
I got bonus points for buying some products and they also had a digital coupon for $2 off so I saved pretty good on those

Young man is going to install new floor , 75sq ft, waterproof laminate, and install a new toilet for me

I already bought the flooring and new toilet.
Labor only.
$150.
Am I getting a good deal?

Jim
I would say so. Is that for whole project or just one day? Seems it would take longer than one day to get it done

I would say so. Is that for whole project or just one day? Seems it would take longer than one day to get it done

That's the whole job

Before,
IMG_20200702_103931499.jpg

New floor is laminate darker gray to match light gray walls .
She wants to decorate in Teal or Wine.

Jim

Jim, prices will vary with location but $150 is less than you might pay for the house call/travel time.
Yes, you are getting a great deal if he can do a good job for you. ;)

Looks ok like it is, and a good price.

Meer, I wouldn't have touched it, but I ain't my wife.
I try to cater to her whims , as she does mine.
It's 20 years, old the walls were 2 shades of beige light brown.
Now light gray .
Floor will be darker ,wood grain gray. She's happy.

Hey, sheepdog, I know the guy, go to church with him.
He deer hunts my farm , got a 16 point this year,
He does great work

He wouldn't gonna charge me anything, I told him I'd get someone else, he said $150.:thumbs:

Jim

Meer, I wouldn't have touched it, but I ain't my wife.
I try to cater to her whims , as she does mine.
It's 20 years, old the walls were 2 shades of beige light brown.
Now light gray .
Floor will be darker ,wood grain gray. She's happy.

Hey, sheepdog, I know the guy, go to church with him.
He deer hunts my farm , got a 16 point this year,
He does great work

He wouldn't gonna charge me anything, I told him I'd get someone else, he said $150.:thumbs:

Jim

You kow I lost part of my vision but it looked ok to me,lol. But I understand the wife wanting it changed too,sometimes we just get tired of looking at same colors ot leas little defect can bug us too..

Looks like a good job. We didn't get away with anything less than $35 an hour, and they took ALOT of very long phone breaks. Who is doing your baseboards?

I made my own base boards , years ago.
I pulled them now for flooring.
Cleaned them up and repainted , white.
I will reinstall those. It's easy.

Jim

Last edited:
Today starts another pay period ( and the end of that stimulus check the gov handed out. it paid our grocery bill for months now)

I have $22 to put in the emergency fund this time

Got to day 6 of not spending any money and busted yesterday ordering groceries online so back to day 1 today.

In the grocery order I used $20 worth of free rewards money to buy -
- 12 tins of wet cat food.
and 6 packets of chocolate baking chips.

Today I went to battle with the bank we have our home mortgage with and got our interest rate reduced by 0.13 % effective as of today. This saves us $6 a month and no doubt more off our monthly loan interest we pay too.

Always good to try and save money where we can.

Saved $17.02 today at the grocery store this morning.
Picked up some cereal for only $1.99 each if you bought 3 ( special k protein)
$2 off produce if you bought kelloggs cereal
Got half a watermelon for only $1.99. It was marked $3.99 and had that $2 coupon
I picked up packs of meat for only $3.33 so I stocked up on them bought little over $30 worth. The meat was reason I went today
Also earned 56 points on my card towards cents off gallons of gas this time.

Hubby signed up for the Homestead Act here in WV. 65 or older you get a break on your property tax if you sign up. So next year we'll save somewhere around $250 on our taxes. Depends on what value its assessed at.

Last edited:
It is amazing how much we are saving due to places being closed. We used to go out to eat a lot and now we occasionally order takeout. With 3 of us ordering, lunch is usually around $40 and supper can easily cost $100 or more. I am also staying off Amazon. When I ask the Chief Finacial Office for an update on our cash I am amazed at her answer. Last month we put $2000 in savings and we didn't miss it. So I'm going to stash more every chance we have.

Day 4 of not spending any money today :) . I also picked up a 500g packet of frozen blueberries free as I am a supermarket taste tester.

We did go out to lunch while we were in town but that is paid for with DH's DVA travel allowance he gets so technically a free lunch.

Yesterday DH and I got a $17 pay rise between us so I banked it into our 3 month living expenses emergency fund and now we are up to 73.68% of the way there to our target.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back