How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent $117 today but I stocked up on a bunch of stuff so it was money well spent
That should be all until maybe next week but I have to wait and see what is in the local grocery store's weekly sales paper on thursday

Was in Walmart today, and plenty of bare spots. I did get a number of cans of corn, on sale today for 50 cents ea, and some cans of Keystone Hamburger, a little under $7 a can, and more kidney beans at 69 cents a can. Did not save money by buying 3 grandchildren school clothes, shoes, and supplies. But did save some money because we found most of it at Walmart.

Busted on Tuesday and got to day of of not spending any money and then busted today buying a few specials for grocery shopping .

Here is how we saved though today -

Our total grocery bill before discounts came to $41.85 but we saved $44.06 in total on usual prices :) .

Just how we did that is that we used our rewards $10 off, another $10 we had free from using a 5% off Wish e-gift card bringing our bill down to $21.85 and purchased half price special chicken garlic kievs at $1.30 ea, half priced Old Gold chocolate blocks at $2.50 ea and chicken drumsticks on special for $3.50 kg reduced by 0.50c kg saving a further $24.06 on usual prices.

Got to love it when you save more than you are spending on usual retail prices :) .

Using up leftover yarn balls making "Swiffer" covers.
Next will be making furniture dusters found interesting pattern for those.
Also using little yarn balls from grand daughter's yarn basket.
When she leaves Granny's house, I have at least 2 hours to untangle, rewind yarn balls.
Hence me crocheting the leftover little yarn balls saves me frustration, saves me money because I use everything to make something I can clean with then wash instead of throwing away.

Payday today.
Have leftover money to go into emergency fund.
It's just $5.50 but every little bit adds up.
All the bills are paid except 2.
Will be so glad to move, cause then won't have 2 bills I have here.
But have the money set aside into savings account.
Still need to go to Wal*Mart for Strawberry's food, and prepaid phone card.
Then I will be busted again, but everything will be current and paid.
Throwing a bit extra on car payment, 1 larger bill.
Trying to get them paid off sooner than later.
Eating out of freezers, pantry, so I don't have to spend money on groceries.
Or at least not very much on groceries.
Like to keep it a minium for awhile longer.
Saving for bigger meat bundle for winter.

Last edited:
Well tomorrow is another payday ( every 2 weeks). I have $42 to put in the emergency fund this time around.

Only saved $13.08 this time at the local grocery but I got 200 points for buying 4 products. That means I have 20 cents off a gallon of gas to use

I bought 4 cans of Melita coffee at $2.50 each
And 4 packs of country style sausage brats for $2.79 each
Those were the only reason I stopped at the grocery store today.
I did pick up a half watermelon as an impulse buy lol

Walmart I spent $72 but loaded up on canned foods we eat and I use in cooking.

On day 6 of not spending any money today :) .

Hey Sewingcreations15, got to thinking of you and visions of back when my mom ran a Stretch & Sew fabric shop in the 70s. She made me a bunch of custom Tee Shirts, one of which got me suspended from School. It was a blue and white striped shirt, but when you looked closely at it the blue stripe was continiously repeating BOLOGNA BOLOGNA...... in blue letters.... Yes, even dear old mom was a rebel.. ;) I had one in red too! But some teacher took offense.... and I got suspended.
Wait, When I posted it the words BullS....BullS..... Changed to BOLOGNA BOLOGNA, that teacher must be working as sensor now... Now That's a bunch of LUNCH MEAT...

Last edited:
Well we busted yesterday and bought a grocery e-gift voucher to buy groceries with but I saved $42.50 combining half price specials and other specials, the 5% discount from our e-gift card and $10 off with a supermarket promotional code. I finally had a week where everything on my perpetual shopping list that we needed to buy was on specials :) .

I also saved for our goal of getting solar put on the home in our home maintenance fund and it will be installed on Monday. We are having a 6.66 KW system installed and they will switch the electric hot water system over to heat during the day when the panels are being charged by the sun. We will be paying in cash and DH asked if there was a further discount for paying cash and they gave us a further $200 discount on the price :thumbs: .

There goes our home emergency fund bar a few hundred dollars but we have another emergency fund of just over 6 months living expenses in another bank too. With the savings of $100 - $120 a month in electricity costs we will put that back in the home emergency fund.

Payday has come and gone.
Everything is paid but rent.
Waiting to see where I will be before I pay rent.
But that money is in savings account till needed.
Will be paying rent sometime in the future.
As I didn't get my dream apartment.
So going to go buy $20 worth of fresh produce which I have been out of for a week or more.
Keep on saving for my future plans whatever they may be.

All the bills are paid before the 8 th of September.
Bought $35 of groceries for the next two weeks.
Bought Estelle early Christmas present;6 pairs of Minnie Mouse Training Pants.
Minnie's dress changes colors when it gets wet.
Wish me luck.
My ex husband called asked what to get her for Christmas?
Training pants, he sent 12 pairs of something called Trolls.
Trolls hair changes color when they get wet.
We shall see if this works this time.
Wish me luck.

I went to the local grocery store to see if they had sausage on clearance. No sausage, but they did have fresh butcher bacon on clearance for $2.59 per pound. I nabbed 8 packages of it. Some of it went straight into the freezer (which is packed full) and some went right into the fry pan. Yummy!!

I also hit some garage sales. I got a few small things for a good price, but I got a super duper deal on a fishing pole. The pole is worth around $250 and I got it for $15. Hubs is a happy dude.

I over spent this week :( I won't get more grocery money until the 25th but I have everything I need to last that long and even longer.

I hit some good deals. Just bought bacon on BOGO. Got 8 packs and only paid for 4
Managed to come across the supplements hubby and I take and bought extra. Apparently a number of people take the same ones since they're hard to find on the shelf. I'm leaning towards online shopping for them from now on.
Also stocked up on paper products and canned foods for storage. Get while its there.
So it was money well spent and not wasted on frivolous things so I don't feel too bad ;):)

Spent a bit, but topped off things in the pantry.
Next week is pay day again.
So will have money half into savings, the other half will go into emergency fund.
Approx $35 into saving, and $35 into emergency fund.
Have a few things to take back to Wal*Mart didn't fit properly.
Went SA and bought 5 pairs of jeans for winter.
Got 5 pairs of jeans half price for $5.50.
Got the oldest grand daughter a size 4 coat to wear at Granny's house, only paid $4.50 for coat.
Also got oldest grand daughter a sweatshirt 50 cents.
Total winter wear was $11.95 including tax.

Last edited:
Spent a bit, but topped off things in the pantry.
Next week is pay day again.
So will have money half into savings, the other half will go into emergency fund.
Approx $35 into saving, and $35 into emergency fund.
Have a few things to take back to Wal*Mart didn't fit properly.
Went SA and bought 5 pairs of jeans for winter.
Got 5 pairs of jeans half price for $5.50.
Got the oldest grand daughter a size 4 coat to wear at Granny's house, only paid $4.50 for coat.
Also got oldest grand daughter a sweatshirt 50 cents.
Total winter wear was $11.95 including tax.

Sounds like some really good deals MoBook. :thumbs:

A couple of days ago in town I got 3 T-bone steaks for $12.75 plus tax. I got them vacuum sealed tonight and into the freezer.

T Bone sm.JPG

Today is Payday.
Yeah!
Most of my monthly bills are already paid before I left the house at 0800 hours.
Still have to pay rent, Internet tomorrow.
2 more payments and all my student loan labs bills and books are completely paid off.
Whittling down on everything slowly and surely.
Instead of putting leftover grocery money into savings and emergency fund.
Made extra payment on Student Loan labs, and books bills.
Yahoo!
Eventually that money will go into savings and emergency accounts.
Or throw that extra money on to the car payments instead.
Hope to get car paid off in 18 more months.
Then I will be 100% debt free.

Last edited:
You go, Mo!
I am proud of you!

Hit the local grocery for the senior hour to shop.
Got 6 ham steaks for the price of 3. Love BOGOs lol
Also picked up smoked sausage for half price.
Also some chicken thighs for 79 cents a pound. Grabbed 4 packs about 5 pounds each
We're set for meat for a little while
And since I spent 25$ I got a 5 pound bag of potatoes for $1.79 ( which is really good because I'm paying $1/per pound around here)

No spend day.
But saving money any hoo.
Picking up CSA boxes today.
10 pounds of Russet potatoes
5 pounds of yellow onions
5 pounds of red seedless grapes
5 pounds of tomatoes
2 Mangos
6 packages of 6" flour tortilla's
10 pounds of navel oranges
5 pounds of Ruby Red grapefruit
2 dozen of eggs
1 package of fresh Brussell sprouts
5 pounds of broccoli florets
5 pounds of grilled chicken fajatti meat
4 pounds of Cole slaw mix
1 pound of Ceasar salad mix
1 package of cherry tomatoes
2 bunches of Asparagus
2 pounds of Mexican cheese mix
2 pounds of blue berries
1 pound of raspberry
12 ounces of blackberries
2 pepperoni and cheese pizza's(12 inch)
I think that's it.
Got everything put away but potatoes and Mangos.
Feeling blessed.
For the grand cost to me for the year of $25.
Had a slight price increase, but I'm good with that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back