How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got nice thick ham steaks on a BOGO. So I only paid about $2 lb on them
Also got bacon on a BOGO. $3 a pack
Now I have 40 cents off gas to use
Have to see how hubby wants to do this

I needed to go grocery shopping and so I thought I'd go early and see if I could find some bargains. Sadly, I found very few. I haven't gone shopping in a while, so maybe I missed the good sales? Or, maybe there just aren't any this year?

Our local big box store had bone in chicken breast family packs for .99 per pound. I prefer chicken with bone in b/c it tastes so much better than frozen boneless chicken breasts. So, I bought 3 packs and just bagged em' up and put em' in the freezer.

I went to WM just to see if there were any deals to be had, and again......pretty scarse. I got some socks on clearance and also picked up some fleece throw blankets for $1.25 each to put in Christmas baskets or let the dogs use. I got a few other things and bugged out since the sales just weren't there.

I found some dried blueberries, non sugar coconut chips, and dried cranberries at Aldi to stock up my LTS supplies, which is way cheaper than buying that stuff through a LTS company. I loaded up on fresh and frozen veges and always save a ton of money over buying that stuff anywhere else. For the most part, I don't mind the no-brand stuff. Typically, I think most of their stuff tastes better than the name brand products, especially their chocolate.

It was worth the trip b/c the savings off-set the extra gas needed to get there, but I doubt I'll be going anywhere shopping for a while.

Last edited:
Hubby wants about 3 times as much salsa this year :eek: I stopped in at a local store to see if they had any jars back in stock. They had quart jars on sale for $11.99/ doz. I got 4 boxes. We might need another couple boxes, but I will have to wait another month or 2 before I can do that again.

angie_nrs,
I didn't find many deals either at Wa*Mart when I went the other day.
Had to dig really deep for the two I did find.
Almost have enough saved for large meat bundle($350).
Then won't have to buy meat again for 6 months to a year.
Local grocery store has 10 pounds of chicken leg quarter on sale for $3.90.
Might go pick up 2 bags for the freezer.
April is almost an expensive month, but that's life.
Got to get new tags on the car in April.
We have 3 new Thrift store opening in next towns around me.
Might find some savings there.

I saved some money today!

One of the exterior window shade cranks (for raising and lowering it) was broken when we went to put it up. (they were taken down last summer so I could paint) I said, "that looks like a lathe job!" so, my brother and I retreated to the shop. I found half an old 1/2" bolt, measured the stub on the crank, and started turning. I faced it off and turned the shaft and then bored a through hole with a #7 drill. My brother found an old "I" bolt that had a reverse thread so we put it back and I told him if there is a left hand thread there has to be a right hand bolt too. I drilled the #7 hole with a "P" drill so it was a slip fit with the device. While it was still in the lathe and every thing was still true or square I started threading the hole for the 1/4" "I" bolt.

Removed it from the lathe and mounted it in my tubing vise and finished tapping the threads. I then drilled the rivet from the boss on the crank and set the depth of the hole on my new adapter. Drilled the adapter and mounted it to the crank device. Made a quick measure for the thread length plus a nut on the "I" bolt. Cut the bolt, cleaned the end with the grinder and put it all together.

We finished hanging the shades and it all worked well. Another good thing ... they look good with the blue that my wife picked out for the house.

Hubby wants about 3 times as much salsa this year :eek: I stopped in at a local store to see if they had any jars back in stock. They had quart jars on sale for $11.99/ doz. I got 4 boxes. We might need another couple boxes, but I will have to wait another month or 2 before I can do that again.

We need to order some lids,supply getting short. Not sure where to go look.Glad you got a deal on the jars Ladyl.

Haven't saved much recently. Been putting $$ into materials for the raised beds. But come summer and fall, our food cost will be much lower and we'll be putting stuff up to carry through the winter as well. I fully expect food inflation to be much higher by that point than it has been this past year. Inflation has been growing since Covid started. Now with all the stimulus being put out, hold on cause we ain't seen inflation like this in a long time.

Haven't saved much recently. Been putting $$ into materials for the raised beds. But come summer and fall, our food cost will be much lower and we'll be putting stuff up to carry through the winter as well. I fully expect food inflation to be much higher by that point than it has been this past year. Inflation has been growing since Covid started. Now with all the stimulus being put out, hold on cause we ain't seen inflation like this in a long time.

Forsure inflation is going to be really bad,plus with millions more to feed food shortages will happen especiallt since this new strain od Covid now.Time to spend what we can on preps.
I neeed to get out of this place,lol guess what. But also re-supply.

Not alot of spending going on besides monthly bills.
Once in while an added principle car payment.
Small spend day.
I'm out of coffee or just about.
Need money order for rent.
Might splurge and get a drink from Sonic.
Got to mail package back to Washington State.
Their check cleared the bank for quilt repair of hand stitch double size Rocking Robin quilt.
And yes the Robins has musical instruments with musical notes swirling above their heads.

Not alot of spending going on besides monthly bills.
Once in while an added principle car payment.
Small spend day.
I'm out of coffee or just about.
Need money order for rent.
Might splurge and get a drink from Sonic.
Got to mail package back to Washington State.
Their check cleared the bank for quilt repair of hand stitch double size Rocking Robin quilt.
And yes the Robins has musical instruments with musical notes swirling above their heads.

What kind of drink do you like MoBook?

I used my stimulates check today to stimulate the local economy.
Paid 2 years of taxes, penalites for property taxes for county and city taxes.(old address-didn't receive them)
That was a big hit of $485.45.
Made extra principle payment on new to me car of $350.
Car loan is now under $7500.
Will keep throwing added principle payments towards it to get it paid off sooner than later.
Car loan interest rate is 3.67%.
The new to me car is the only debt I have besides monthly expenses.
Have paid everything else off.
Paid it forward on the Internet bill $69.99
Bought meat bundles to the tune of $185.
But that fills my chest freezer and refrig freezer for 6 months or better.
So every month, I put extra $25 into fixed expenses saving account for future meat purchases.
Made an extra saving account deposit of $100.
Also made extra deposit into emergency account of $100.
Still have money in checking.
Got the oldest grand daughter a special gift for her birthday in June.
Got to get car inspected for $12 and new tags for 2 years is $55.
Then will feel better.

I used my stimulates check today to stimulate the local economy.
Paid 2 years of taxes, penalites for property taxes for county and city taxes.(old address-didn't receive them)
That was a big hit of $485.45.
Made extra principle payment on new to me car of $350.
Car loan is now under $7500.
Will keep throwing added principle payments towards it to get it paid off sooner than later.
Car loan interest rate is 3.67%.
The new to me car is the only debt I have besides monthly expenses.
Have paid everything else off.
Paid it forward on the Internet bill $69.99
Bought meat bundles to the tune of $185.
But that fills my chest freezer and refrig freezer for 6 months or better.
So every month, I put extra $25 into fixed expenses saving account for future meat purchases.
Made an extra saving account deposit of $100.
Also made extra deposit into emergency account of $100.
Still have money in checking.
Got the oldest grand daughter a special gift for her birthday in June.
Got to get car inspected for $12 and new tags for 2 years is $55.
Then will feel better.
That's awesome Mo! Have you ever played with the loan calculators? Bankrate is one. You can see "if you pay this much, you'll pay it off in X months" etc. I think it's kinda encouraging. I like seeing how quickly it will be gone :)

That's awesome Mo! Have you ever played with the loan calculators? Bankrate is one. You can see "if you pay this much, you'll pay it off in X months" etc. I think it's kinda encouraging. I like seeing how quickly it will be gone :)
I use spreadsheets.
I set goals monthly to get debt paid off.
In 3 years 3 months 6 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes, 21 seconds the car will be paid off.
Unless I can figure out away to make more principle payments.

I use spreadsheets.
I set goals monthly to get debt paid off.
In 3 years 3 months 6 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes, 21 seconds the car will be paid off.
Unless I can figure out away to make more principle payments.
This timeline is according to bank loan.
I hope to cut the time line by half instead.
So maybe no bingo for me.
Could be using that money to become debt free instead.

Back