How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This last weekend was my hometown's city wide yard sales for 4 days.
I spent a total of $22.50.
For my money I bought:
1- Never Used New Kenmore Digital Bread Machine cost $10.
1 set of 6 Milk Glass Ramekins cost $1.
1-4 quart Milk Glass bowl cost $1.
Lunch cost $4.50
Yarn cause I felt sorry for the kid my oldest son works with.
Got over 45 skeins of yarn for $ 6.
This kid was $6 short at Wal*Mart to get baby formula for his baby.
So I paid what he was short and gave him $10 for lunch money.
My oldest son told him I wouldn't take the money back if he needed it till payday.
So the kid sent the yarn over as payment instead of $6 cash.
He'll have to send more yarn over for the $10 lunch money loan later.
I only went to less than half of the yard sales.

For my money I bought:
Lunch cost $4.50
My oldest son told him I wouldn't take the money back if he needed it till payday.
That sounds like a killer day..

I once went to an auction for a machine shop that was selling off all of their instrumentation. At the end of the auction a gentleman approached me about purchasing an optical comparator that I had one in the auctions. By the time he paid me for the comparator I acquired all all the instrumentation for free.

Nice haul.

Ben

Benn

For my money I bought:
Lunch cost $4.50
You have a lot of knittin' to do!

So far this month we have only spent $165.99 on groceries from our $300 budget :).

In that we topped up on fresh broccoli for $3.50 kg (normally at the moment $7 + a kilo) which we blanched and froze for meals, 21 tins of lychees we found in another store .85c a tin cheaper than other stores, plain and bbq and honey soy marinated chicken drumsticks for $2.90 kg (normally $5.50 - $7 kg) and 500g of cashews for $5.99 ea which are normally double that price. Saved approx $70 on normal prices with these.

We are fully stocked for meat now and with produce from the gardens and cheap purchased fresh veggies we have blanched and frozen the freezer veggie stocks are being replenished bit by bit.

Stocked up on two self propelled push mowers which we waited for months to arrive and wrangled a deal and got two more expensive models for the same price as the ones we had ordered saving $300 on usual prices. As ride on lawnmower blades and other mower parts are in short supply as well as mower filters we also stocked up on a few of those too.

So far this month we have only spent $165.99 on groceries from our $300 budget :).

In that we topped up on fresh broccoli for $3.50 kg (normally at the moment $7 + a kilo) which we blanched and froze for meals, 21 tins of lychees we found in another store .85c a tin cheaper than other stores, plain and bbq and honey soy marinated chicken drumsticks for $2.90 kg (normally $5.50 - $7 kg) and 500g of cashews for $5.99 ea which are normally double that price. Saved approx $70 on normal prices with these.

We are fully stocked for meat now and with produce from the gardens and cheap purchased fresh veggies we have blanched and frozen the freezer veggie stocks are being replenished bit by bit.

Stocked up on two self propelled push mowers which we waited for months to arrive and wrangled a deal and got two more expensive models for the same price as the ones we had ordered saving $300 on usual prices. As ride on lawnmower blades and other mower parts are in short supply as well as mower filters we also stocked up on a few of those too.
Curious you posted using dollars.

Did you convert to dollars for the math challenged or do you dollars?

Either way...

Everywhere I look I learn about prices fong up. Are seeing inflation or shoratages?

Ben

Just blew a bunch of money. My cell phone died so we got new ones today. OUCH!
My old one was over 8 years old lol It was so old it wouldn't update to the newest version of ios lol
Hopefully this one will last as long also

Just blew a bunch of money. My cell phone died so we got new ones today. OUCH!
My old one was over 8 years old lol It was so old it wouldn't update to the newest version of ios lol
Hopefully this one will last as long also
We had to do that first of the year. I hear your ouch! Mine was an iphone 5 - second hand 😂 I'm ready to go back to land lines.

Mine was a 5 also
I'm ready for landlines too but we only have one company here and to put it mildly....they suck. big time. very bad company

Saved over $300 by learning how to take apart clean, replace,oil,and repair my knitting machine.
Breakdown: someone else to clean minimum $150-$250 depending on the machine.
Electronic knitting machines prices start at $275-$1000 depending on the machine.
Now mind you those are just cleaning prices.

Sponge bar $25
Needles $ 25
New carriage spring $ 15
My knitting machine is Brother KH 230 which is bulky 9 mm machine.
Some day I will be looking for a KL-116 so I can use sewing patterns to make clothing for myself.
But for now I will just use what I got which is pretty basic, but while I learn that's all I need.

Saved over $300 by learning how to take apart clean, replace,oil,and repair my knitting machine.
Breakdown: someone else to clean minimum $150-$250 depending on the machine.
Electronic knitting machines prices start at $275-$1000 depending on the machine.
Now mind you those are just cleaning prices.

Sponge bar $25
Needles $ 25
New carriage spring $ 15
My knitting machine is Brother KH 230 which is bulky 9 mm machine.
Some day I will be looking for a KL-116 so I can use sewing patterns to make clothing for myself.
But for now I will just use what I got which is pretty basic, but while I learn that's all I need.
Plus, now you know a lot more about your machine if it starts acting up with you in the future - good job! 💖

I guess working like crazy and not going anywhere including stores saves money. Finally ran my numbers for April and didn't spend as much as previous months. We will get the Whamo in May though - had all the work done on the mountain house + tests and inspection costs. Those numbers are going to scare me. With God's grace, it will pay us back with an on time sale. Also, have been eating pretty boring meals and cleaning out the freezer, trying to use up older stuff. I want it cleaned out before our beef late summer/early fall.

Received the insurance bill for my old bronco that is an occasional driver (not daily). It was $468! I called and questioned it. Since we are selling the mountain house, we are no longer on a combined plan. I will be going through a different company and saving $120/yr.! (for a rig I seldom drive.)

Went and picked up my CSA boxes.
Breakdown will save on groceries in the coming weeks.
3 Whole chickens weight 4-5 pounds each
3 pounds of chicken thighs
5 pounds of ground beef(in 1 pound rolls)
5-7 pound large turkey breast
5 pounds of red potatoes
3 pounds of sweet potatoes
2 bundles of asparagus
4 beets
2 bunches of radishes
2 bunches of collard greens
1 bunch of mustard green
5 15 ounces of green beans
3- 15 ounces of peas
4 -15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
2 pounds of hazelnuts
2 pounds of shelled walnuts
2 pounds of cracked pecans
2-2 pound blocks of creamery butter
3 boxes of cereal
1 box of unsalted crackers
3 bottles of juice-apple, orange,pineapple
2 pounds of shredded cheddar cheese
First time picking up since my hand and arm surgery
Not bad for monthly box
Cost for CSA yearly is $25

Today HURT in my wallet.

I paid 12 months registration on the Buzzbox. This is either a 6 month or yearly fee that my state gov charges you to keep your car on the road. This fee also includes a mandatory 3rd party insurance.
Every state in Australia has their own dept. of transport and these fees are payable in the state the car is registered in.

I paid the electricity bill.

I have A LOT of projects ahead of me.
I have broken down white goods and furniture that were 4th hand when I got them and they haven't stood up to multiple moves, me, dogs, cats and the mouse plague.
I am doing a huge purge of my household.
Lucky for me there is a business that removes broken old white goods for nothing.
All I have to do is book the right date and then get them out to the nature strip in time for the pick up.
*sigh*
I have one of the largest Westinghouse upright fridge/ freezers on the Australian market to shift from my kitchen, through a very small front door and down 4 steps.
True, it's not as big as a camel but at the moment I wish it was a camel.

I brought and added injector cleaner to my fuel tank and filled it with high octane Premium unleaded fuel.

Last edited:
Back