How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did our numbers for Aug - cough, gasp, choke. We got a freezer, ice chests and meat slicer all in 1 month. It's all paid for but my oh my that's a hit. Like @ClemKadiddlehopper and @WVDragonlady said, we felt like they were things we should get before we can't get them. I don't like seeing the bottom line, but it does feel good to have them. This month should roll a little better. Can't think of anything in particular we need other than regular groceries. Got my cash for that this morning so will try to stick to budget. @MoBookworm1957 I'm trying to make up some things to do a bazaar if they have any this year. @UrbanHunter It's amazing how much pulling from the garden to fill jars helps!
@Neb I didn't know you speak French oui, oui, (we we 😂)
So far anytime anybody have had little town fair, county had massive spikes in COVID.
So pretty much everything has been cancelled long that line.
Just got slammed dunked with unexpected bill this last month is all.
But the good news is I got a bit in checking, some in savings and dribble in emergency fund.
I got food, roof over my head, fairly good health.
Life is good, or the best it can be for now.

So far anytime anybody have had little town fair, county had massive spikes in COVID.
But the good news is I got a bit in checking, some in savings and dribble in emergency fund.
It's hit and miss here. Our numbers have been steady all along (to my knowledge). I've pretty much quit keeping track of who has the flu now. We have the youngin's moving back into town for college so they wear their masks in the shower I'm sure. Then there is the group that is just dealing with it reasonably. And remarkably, I've seen very few that have totally disregarded it - even from the beginning. Anyhoo, I've not been able to find anything, but this is our fair week so nothing will happen until next week anyways.

We took the girls to the VFC fair a month ago with no masks no issues.
Science center and zoo 3 weeks ago and The Princess had an annoying sinus issue 4 days later that she shared with me. Clearing up now.

Don't think it was covid.

Ben

Cooking at home.
Attempting to sew some clothes for myself, customers, grand children for Christmas.
Still working on sweaters on the knitting machine.
Still learning loads about the knitting machine.
Figured out my knitting machine is a chunky machine.
And it doesn't like thinner and finer yarn, kinda eats it.
So back to hand knitting the sweater with finer yarn.
Don't want to particularly want to buy knitting machine for finer yarn if I don't have too.
Anything in my price point will need lots of work.

We had our "State Fair" last month afterwards COVID spiked.
Had major country star concert in Kansas City last month COVID spiked.
Kids going going back to college, kids going back to school COVID will spike.
Me, I'm careful where I go, so I don't take anything to my dad.
For the most part I just stay home.
Best place to be, you have plenty to do there! I'm quite the home body. Always projects and work to do here!

Best place to be, you have plenty to do there! I'm quite the home body. Always projects and work to do here!
The light at the end of the tunnel that got me through 43 years of traveling were someone else dictated was being able to stay home.

Home is my favorite place to be and I have no plans of traveling.

Ben

Haven't spent much lately.
Spent $ 28 for cases of canned goods: green beans, peas,creamed corn,coffee,
And something else.
Spent $34 at Dillard's for dress fr my son's wedding in October.
Was under budget for groceries.
And better yet under budget on dress for son's wedding.
Great deal on the dress💗👍

I have an old wheel barrow here we used when building the house in the 70's. A few years ago I took off the pan and took a grinder to all the rust including the frame. I sanded the wooden handles and gave them new coats of poly. I had a quart of marine grade primer/rust stopper. I gave all the metal parts a good coat then painted over everything with krylon. It looked as good as new.

I am buying store bought meat - 😖 Since we had the freezer die, we lost quite a bit of meat. Our beef is scheduled to go in towards the end of this month so it won't be long. This morning, I found a whole sirloin for 25% off at the restaurant store which took it to about the same price as lesser grade meats. They also had a case of the tea I like which was a better price - about like getting one box free or 6 for the price of 5. About wiped out my monthly grocery $$$ though. Can't wait to get our beef in the freezer.

I keep a spare freezer or two for emergencies. The spare fridge also has a fridge/freezer option. I cannot afford to lose any meat. I also, don't keep all my eggs in one basket. I divide all the expensive stuff up between all the freezers. It is critical to keep a lookout for freezer failures and have the means to keep them frozen. That's why I make use of winter and they all have extra insulation.

I am slowly vacuum packing all the cow that just went in as well. That meat is good for six + years when properly paper wrapped, than vacuum packed.

I saved $57.71 on a grocery run this morning. Using my store rewards card, in store coupons and bonus sales.

You know whats ridiculous? The only meat I bought was 2 packages of dried beef to make creamed chipped beef for breakfast a couple of mornings. And those darn things are $3.99 each.

Prices are just going up and up

In the last few days we have saved on -

- From Coles bought 8 tins of long life harvest veges and meat on half price specials and 5 kiwi fruit saving $13 on usual prices.
- From IGA we purchased 4 x shampoo and 3 conditioners on specials saving $2.80 on usual prices.
- From Rivers purchased 4 x cotton long sleeved shirts and a sherpa jacket on sale for DH saving $230.15 on marked prices.
- Bought 2 sherpa lined jackets new for myself saving $18 on usual prices.
- Used our fuel rewards card to get fuel saving 4 c per litre or $3.81 on usual prices.
- Finally found another large stainless steel stock pot steamer we had been looking for on half price sale for $79.99 saving another $79.99 on usual prices.

Back