How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I made it 14 days - broke today. I'll share more over in the shortages thread.
I went for milk and eggs this morning and was shocked by what I saw & didn't see. I did get another turkey for $8 and 2 ea. 5 gal. buckets of lard for $65 each. (as well as milk and eggs.)
The other reason is I'm hoping to do a craft sale in a couple weeks and needed a few things to finish up some items.

I made baked beans and pork with fried corn bread.
Now I can barely move to investigate that rat on a mini bike that keeps
racing under my bed.

Yes, a large batch. Probably freeze them at least at first. If I find a pressure canning recipe I trust, I'm sure I'll try it!
If you do find a pressure canning recipe please let me know. I am going to make my own refried beans after Thanksgiving, wish me luck!!

I messed up, I went to the store to get one loaf of bread, one gallon of milk, one pack of sliced cheese.
I came home with $222.63 grocery, saved $46.83 & $3.89 gas for $2.89 saving $1.00 per gallon for a $17.00 saving.
Most of the grocery was ingredients were for fruit cakes, but still I spend way more than I saved.

Last edited:
I will spend a bit tomorrow maybe $10.
I'm out of coffee.
Have enough coffee for one maybe two more pots of coffee.
Otherwise just staying home, trying not to buy anything.
Will spend a bit of money Wednesday.
Crock pot quit and caught on fire.
Of course I use the crock pot quite a bit.

I'm out of coffee.
Time for a new crockpot🔥!

I'm out of coffee.
Might check a thrift store for a crock pot of you have time. I see them like new all the time. Also, coffee doesn't count - it's a necessity 😁

Brought a K-cup for my chai latte to work, instead of buying a $4 one downstairs.
Except then I had to pay out $500 deposit for club vball for my daughter. :dancing:

This past pay, I somehow managed to have $54 left over for the emergency fund.
Have no idea how that happened. I've been grabbing extra every time I go to the stores

As much as prices are going up I imagine I'll be using that fund to buy food.

Did get 400 points, so I have a certificate for a free ham (store brand) up to 20lbs. Plan on getting a spiral cut next week 🙂

Yes, a large batch. Probably freeze them at least at first. If I find a pressure canning recipe I trust, I'm sure I'll try it!
If you do find a pressure canning recipe please let me know. I am going to make my own refried beans after Thanksgiving, wish me luck!!

I've made & canned them only using some garlic, onion & bacon, but it wasn't enough seasoning to my liking and added some taco seasoning after opening for better flavor. So it did help. Probably the next time I can some up, I'll add the seasoning first.

I just do the no soak method to can the beans.....then mash some of them while heating. I like refries to have some whole beans mixed with the mashed.

I had went to the store the other day and spent more than I intended.....always seems to happen that way. But I found a bunch of marked down meats to fill the freezer. Including a couple of whole chickens, that I cut up to make more meals from. Wings always go in their own pile that I save up until there is enough for a 'wing feed' meal, then leg quarters, then the breasts. The rest of the carcass is saved for a future bone broth project.

That's alot cheaper and easier than raising & butchering my own

I've made & canned them only using some garlic, onion & bacon, but it wasn't enough seasoning to my liking and added some taco seasoning after opening for better flavor. So it did help. Probably the next time I can some up, I'll add the seasoning first.

I just do the no soak method to can the beans.....then mash some of them while heating. I like refries to have some whole beans mixed with the mashed.
I like doing pintos in the pressure cooker because you don't have to soak.

I can’t do a no spend day. As far as groceries, I haven’t bought groceries in 2 months. However I am at feed store every other day. No money to spend on groceries.
Not My DW, she goes every week looking for can goods on sale. Can beans $0.13 each or $0.25 a can. She is going to be soooooooooo disappointed
when SHTF & she will have to go out in the hot sun to get beans.

Our little stores cost more and are cheap off brands that we don’t eat. Have to drive a hour to bigger stores and I don’t have money. I have 2 pay checks a month and husband gets a small SSI check that he spends. He is higher maintenance than I am and eats through favorite foods and meat quickly. He has grand plans to build stuff but I can’t afford it as he upgrades constantly and works slowly. I keep plugging along at work, doing without but I will be 70 in two years and plan to retire for final time. Will miss that 1300.00 extra each month but hopefully it will work. Been working since high school, college, 36years teaching and post retirement. Tired

I can’t do a no spend day. As far as groceries, I haven’t bought groceries in 2 months. However I am at feed store every other day. No money to spend on groceries.
Can you get more than 2 days worth of feed? I would think the $ saved in gas could get a day every however many days.

We bought so much feed that the delivery truck would stop in to unload between store deliveries. We would help the driver unload the truck.
Cow, chicken, horse & hog feed every month, we had beef, pork, chicken & rabbits in the freezer, fresh milk & butter & eggs.

Can you get more than 2 days worth of feed? I would think the $ saved in gas could get a day every however many days.
Usuallyihave a week each for cats, dogs and chickens. That’s 4sacks at 190 pounds that I unload. For cows I am going through 200 +pounds range meal and 100 pounds+ on mineral per week. When I start cubing, I load cuber with 1200 - 1300 pounds of cubes which last maybe 10 days steady feeding. Sacks are getting harder for me to unload all at one time plus my storage shed can’t hold much more. Corn I try to get 12 - 20bags at a time during deer season. Cuber is easy as I hook it up and go to feed store, drive under bin and tell them how much.I am in town every day almost so file it on farm mileage to feed store.

Back