How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've stopped going to the gym. It's a 40min drive there and back. I'm not working and gas is getting more expensive. I'll have to keep my fitness up at home until my circumstances change.
May I suggest shoveling?

It is a whole body work out.

Works for me.

Ben

May I suggest shoveling?

It is a whole body work out.

Works for me.

Ben

If thats the case then I get a good workout every morning. I clean the cow stalls in the barn and then when I drive down to feed the steers I clean the round pen that is around the water trough. They have 50 acres but come to the round pen to go potty....:rolleyes:

I still do that work out, but much slower, now.
The backhoe for big jobs.
I live with my dad. He uses the snow plow mostly because he's 89, but he will shovel if he has to. I help when he allows me to lol He likes doing most of the work around here. It keeps him busy and healthy. I'm really just here to make he doesn't fall off the roof when he's cleaning the chimney lol

Thank you so much!

That means a lot and I mean that sincerely.
It can be a lonely road and the amount of sacrifice it's taken has been very hard but...
once it's paid off I might even splurge and buy a steak and a bottle of wine.
Crazy wild woman that I am.
Believe me, that sacrifice will pay off in the end, we started our journey in 2001 after we came back from an off shore conference about freedom and economic issues, we got fully out of debt and I tell people that once you do that it's like every dollar spent feels like you have the power of $10, there is an attitude that gets ingrained in your thought processes that you never want to get in debt ever again, I doubt that we will ever buy a new vehicle again. I was a bit edgy about getting our 2005 Toyota Sienna with 172,000 on the odometer and the 2007 Tundra with 244,000 on its odometer, but they were well taken care of and both run like new, we'll probably have them till the day we die, they are paid off, our property was paid off a long time ago, so we can attest that delayed gratification really works, so does paying for everything in cash, being out of debt has allowed us to be able to help others in ways we didn't think would be possible. More power to you Tank-Girl.

If thats the case then I get a good workout every morning. I clean the cow stalls in the barn and then when I drive down to feed the steers I clean the round pen that is around the water trough. They have 50 acres but come to the round pen to go potty....:rolleyes:
That works good in my book.

Q
Does it work for you?

Ben

I've done some of that this winter for sure. This summer will be the chopping wood fitness program lol I actually don't mind that one so much. At least not yet.
My point is doing something productive rather the gym.

My father used to say...

Rayners don't pump iron. We shovel dirt.

Think about it. When done shoveling you can see what you did. After the gym... not so much.

Ben

Aaaaaccckkkk! :eek:
Such great grocery sales at Amazon today, I haven't seen this many good deals in one day for a while! It has taken all my will power to resist buying anything. I don't really NEED anything!
So far, I haven't bought anything at all today.

I managed not to buy anything yesterday! I did more than 30 grocery deal posts, some of those going to landing pages with multiple deals, which means I actually linked to hundreds of deals, so many of them rock bottom prices. I was going CRAZY wanting to fill my cart, it took a tremendous amount of will power not to. If I had a family, it would be different, but I'm only one person!

Now I find that most of yesterday's deals are still good, and there are scads of new deals today! I have no idea what all that's about, it's not Prime Day or anything special.

Will I be able to resist today? I must, I must!

I just spent $12 on 2 books. One was the first of the Little House series that I didn't realize wasn't included in the set I got. Also, I got the cheese making book that was recommended to me. I already have the rennet, and this is a good time of year for the cream and milk as far as learning and best product.

I just spent $12 on 2 books. One was the first of the Little House series that I didn't realize wasn't included in the set I got. Also, I got the cheese making book that was recommended to me. I already have the rennet, and this is a good time of year for the cream and milk as far as learning and best product.
Investing in reference books is as close as we can get to "eating our cake and sharing it too." Physical books are a time machine capable of transferring knowledge into the future.

Ben

Blew my grocery budget this month.
But in all fairness, just spending $20-$25 every two weeks.
Made a big extra payment on the new to me car.
$20-$25 grocery budget for 18 months gave my extra car payment a boost $2500.
Also cashed in my change buckets, jars.
$500 went into emergency account too.
$250 went into savings account.
Been eating, cleaning out of pantry and stores, but eventually some of those will need restocked.
This month was the month spent $169 for 6 months of canned goods, water, coffee.
Aildi grocery haul was $59.
So grand total for the month is $228.
But won't buy anything else big expense unless I buy side of beef.

Blew my grocery budget this month.
But in all fairness, just spending $20-$25 every two weeks.
Made a big extra payment on the new to me car.
$20-$25 grocery budget for 18 months gave my extra car payment a boost $2500.
Also cashed in my change buckets, jars.
$500 went into emergency account too.
$250 went into savings account.
Been eating, cleaning out of pantry and stores, but eventually some of those will need restocked.
This month was the month spent $169 for 6 months of canned goods, water, coffee.
Aildi grocery haul was $59.
So grand total for the month is $228.
But won't buy anything else big expense unless I buy side of beef.
A good time to get that in your pantry instead of trying to hunt for items come winter and who knows what other hoopla.

WOOT! WOOT!

I just ordered 6 cases of canned chicken (I'll be splitting it with my brother).

10 oz cans of white chunk chicken, 12 cans per case, $7.60 per case!

I was worried I wouldn't get it because it was backordered, but it just got delivered. 72 cans, 10oz each.

Attachments

• 20220311_150720.jpg
    20220311_150720.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 7
Hopefully a great deal, but only if I use them……. I stopped at a local thrift shop yesterday. They receive donations from Walmart regularly, and yesterday’s deal was Burpee and Ferry Morse seeds, 10 cents a pack. 8 displays worth were there. Got lots.
I read a post recently about someone who never passed a pawn shop because you never know what hidden treasures you might find.
It’s saving or even making money if done right. Just have to be careful not to get more ‘stuff’.

For quite awhile now I've been looking to buy a 10 foot Jon boat to use for trapping in the fall and spring. Can't find one for sale anywhere. I even called a few boat dealers and tried to order one, nobody was interested. So today I ordered a set of plans to build a wood one. Not sure if this counts as saving money, but I figured I can build it for about $600 less than buying a new aluminum one.

For quite awhile now I've been looking to buy a 10 foot Jon boat to use for trapping in the fall and spring. Can't find one for sale anywhere. I even called a few boat dealers and tried to order one, nobody was interested. So today I ordered a set of plans to build a wood one. Not sure if this counts as saving money, but I figured I can build it for about $600 less than buying a new aluminum one.
Would love to follow that build!

Didn't save money yesterday, but didn't care cause it wasn't my money to start with.
Dad spent money yesterday or rather I did for him.
Bought him 2 weeks of food instead of that junk vegan food my sister and niece are trying to feed him.
He gave me list and $100.
In 45 minutes he had 7 bags of groceries, 1 8 pack of bottle Pepsi, 1 case of water.
He even had change of $16.
So I spent $84 for two or more weeks of groceries for him.
And as a treat he got a bag of candy too.
That bag of candy cost more than the hamburger.
Hamburger $4.96 for 1 pound chub
Candy $5.96 for 1.5 pound bag of gummy candy 10 flavors.
Go figure.

Unfortunately I didn't save money today. We bought Thai food at work for our group because we were all so exhausted, burned out and needed some comfort food. It was sooooo worth it and so good! No regrets. LOL

Latest posts

Back