How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started my next month's primary shopping trip.i figure,that it's high time that i got the fridge n freezer restocked,to where they need to be.I've got most of my canned foods stocked up.so there ain't much to get there. I not only include the aisle number for faster shopping. I also include the price's as well.(when possible).

I save the pickling liquid from the jars of pickled cucumbers I buy at the supermarket and use it in a couple of different ways.

I slice up onions and put them in jar and top it off with extra white vinegar and give it a good shake and leave it in the back of the fridge for several weeks.

I use the liquid as a ready made salad dressing.

I never, ever throw it out.

Good idea with the onions,thanks.

A lot of catching up to do on our savings over the last couple of weeks and we have had a ball doing it and buying prepping and needed items too -

- Harvested 10.5 bunches of silver beet, 600 g of carrots, dried weight 74 g of sage and 36 g of English and 33 g of French Lavender, 250 g of turnips, and a huge amount of thyme from the gardens which we have drying saving us $66.39 over purchasing them.
- Traded dried English lavender, thyme and rosemary picked from the gardens and excess tarragon and oregano from the pantry for 6 x 25 g of homemade natural lip balm from a friend in chocolate, lavender and vanilla flavours and 50 g of comfrey cream saving around $45 over us purchasing them in the local shops.
- Blanched and froze around 60 odd kg of sweet potatoes picked from the gardens to last us a year saving us $540 over buying similar organic ones in the shops.
- Purchased on special from Aldi 2 x bomber jackets and from BigW 3 x Sherpa jackets, 3 x flannel shirts & 4 l/s cotton t-shirts for me saving $124.85 on usual prices.
- Bought 4 x packets of butter menthol's on special saving $2.
- From Rivers all on special we purchased for DH 1 pair of ugg boots, a leather pair of above ankle boots, 3 long sleeved cotton t-shirts, 2 xl/s white cotton dress shirts, and for me 1 x l/s cotton t-shirt saving $201.06 or 61% of usual prices.
- Purchased 50 velvet covered coat hangers on special from the reject shop saving $2.05.
- Best bargain of the week is that we purchased 4 pairs each (8) of canvas leather work combat boots for $25.98 a pair usually they are $140 per pair in our small country town so we saved all up $912.16 on local prices.
- On 55 % off special we purchased from our pantry stock up budget 24 x tins of long life harvest tinned vegetables and meat saving $50.85 on usual prices.
- Also we purchased instead of using our solar lanterns all the time as they are a bit dull 6 x LED light bulbs on over 50% off special saving $27 on usual prices.

Been a good couple of weeks :).

Rang up my phone and internet provider and found out when my contract expires and what the early contract exit fee would be.

My phone contract has already expired and so there would be no exit fees.
My internet contract contract expires on the 3rd of Nov. BUT if I wanted to exit now the cost would be $59.

I'm looking at a pre-paid service for a year that dip feeds me 23GBs each month with unlimited calls and texts with Australia for around $550.
This way I can use my phone as a wifi hot spot/router and stop using the real router which chews a lot of electricity.

On a different tune, my Craftsman air compressor (25 gallon) had a leaky bypass valve. Problem was, everyone I spoke to couldn't tell me why the air was leaking down beyond the pressure between the tank and the valves. I priced out all the parts, and they came to over $100, but couldn't guaranty this would fix my problem. The other day, I see my neighbor had tossed an old, unknown brand air compressor out in the trash to be hauled away. I saw the bleeder valves, bypass valve and pressure switch were all the same as what I had. Well, it took 2 hours and swapped out the parts with all my defective parts, and now I have a solid running air compressor. I lubed it up and tightened all the shields, and it is like a new compressor. Oh, by the way, it is 109 in the garage right now, so I am a pile of sweat but it was worth it. Expected to climb to 116 today. Hell, today is hotter than it is at the Colorado River!

I've got a foot bridge over a ditch. Ditch has water in it nine months out of the year. Well my 20 year old bridge has a bad lean to it, time to replace it. This time instead of using 4x4" for the main supports I'm going with concrete retaining wall blocks. $1.24 each on sale for $1.09 and with the mail in rebate 79 cents each. Bought 450. I'll line the ditch to the culverts, dress that part of the backyard woods up real nice.

I've gotten in a lil better with a couple.by taking them some fresh rolling tobacco today.which is better then the reroll tobacco they've been getting .plus I've given them some of my meatloaf 3 diff times. I figure that they'll be good to have around during bad times.im thinking of getting my primary shopping tomorrow. Need to have a look around as i do thoe.seeing how i shop at a diff walmart now.

I have been seeing on a quilt when my timing became off. Bobbin thread was not connecting to make a loop. So instead of paying the $60 bucks or so to take it in to get serviced, I pulled up a YouTube video and did it myself. It was surprisingly easy enough to accomplish. . . Thank goodness!

I was spending buying $2.49 fat quarters of fabric at Joann's. But I had the magical coupon that made them .70 each. Went from about $85 to $28 in one coupon.
I use the fat quarters for when I do a quilting project or mostly for doll clothes. Some of those I sell.

Over the last week I have saved money by -
- processing, drying and separating 319 g of thyme picked from the gardens saving $42.87 over purchasing it in the shops and then promptly sold it all in a bulk herb listing on the internet for a customer order :).
- Picked 1.127 kg of cherry tomatoes from the gardens saving $11.27 over purchasing them locally.
- Did a trade with a fellow blogger on another site with dried herbs, dried French and English lavender and mariold flowers from the gardens as well as excess dried herbs from our pantries for 197 g of lip balms in twist containers and tin containers saving $65.92 less expenses over purchasing them locally.
- Saved seeds from the marigolds we traded the flowers for saving around $30 over purchasing them and will use these to plant out a new garden bed and some at the ends of the vegetable garden beds to stop ants.

Today I brought over 3 months worth the groceries on-line for delivery.

Because I brought a large amount my delivery costs were halved.

The only trouble has been trying to find a feed store that will deliver bags of mixed grain for my chickens.
I guess I'll look over my 10kg bags of rice and see if any have bugs and cook that up along with vegetable peelings
and thinnings.
I don't want to kill them by feeding them raw rice.

I cook rice regularly and feed to my chickens. Also grow sunflower, oat and wheat fodder in large pans. Stretches out the feed bill. I can get a 50 # bag of whole wheat or whole oats for $15, and it lasts a long time when used for fodder. Sunflower, though, is more expensive.

Blaine Farm and Fleet has canning supplies on sale. Last night I ordered 100 boxes of small mouth Ball lids for 1.59 per box and 50 boxes of Ball wide mouth lids for 2.59 per box. The shipping was only 10.00. I saved over 150.00 and have enough lids for at least 2 years. Their jars are on sale for good prices but I don't need jars.

Spent $1500 last night on an online estate auction to get some things almost free. $5 for a huge pile of red brick to put around the wood stove. $5 for 5 pallets of shingles. $10 for an old claw foot tub. $15 for 5 old porcelain cast iron sinks. 3 sheds for a total of $185. 6x7, 9x10 and 12x10. Room full of old VHS movies for $5. There were so many movies we did not know the treasures to be found. $500 dresser, over 1k vinyl records, including over 30 elvis albums and a $5000 gibson guitar. And we have not even gotten to the two sheds we bought the contents of for $260 total.

I was spending buying $2.49 fat quarters of fabric at Joann's. But I had the magical coupon that made them .70 each. Went from about $85 to $28 in one coupon.
I use the fat quarters for when I do a quilting project or mostly for doll clothes. Some of those I sell.

Your dolls and clothes are very pretty. I like seeing you ladies work with cloth products.

I cook rice regularly and feed to my chickens. Also grow sunflower, oat and wheat fodder in large pans. Stretches out the feed bill. I can get a 50 # bag of whole wheat or whole oats for $15, and it lasts a long time when used for fodder. Sunflower, though, is more expensive.

Thank you that is a good idea. We have a few sunflower plants that made it this year bugs got them but they survived. Can we just give them the seeds or do we have to get hulls off?

How do I save money? Since the end of May, have only used my electric stove 4 times. Two times someone else cooked for me and used it. I use either my Instant Pot (especially for cooking bacon in the morning, fast) or my Induction Stovetop burner. Both are very energy efficient.

How do I save money? Since the end of May, have only used my electric stove 4 times. Two times someone else cooked for me and used it. I use either my Instant Pot (especially for cooking bacon in the morning, fast) or my Induction Stovetop burner. Both are very energy efficient.

I don't use my oven, I use an Air Fryer oven or a toaster oven most of the time. Seems like a good idea for single people cooking. I love to see your Insta Pot meals. I need to get to using my Insta Pot.

(PS: Great to see you posting again here.)

Back