How Do I Change Browser

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Right now it looks like I have 3 browswers? Opera,Google Chrome and Firefox.

Been online yesterday and this morning trying to install Firefox but not keep the other two.
Do I need 2 and is that what ' default ' means is an extra broqser?

I downloaed Firefox ' thanks SheepD' but still have Opera and Google Chrome.

Kids use ot help us but they don't visit since Covid.

I just uninstalled Google Chrome.Should I uninstall Opera too?

I found out my default broswer is Opera by I typed in " http:/askleo " and it brought me to Opera.

Where are yall at? Isn't this the help tech forum?

Does it matter if I use Firefox for default broswer or Opera.
I googled hwo to set default broswer,came up with " http://askleo " which took me backto Opera saying it was mt default. I uninstalled Google Chrome was that wise?

So do I still get same benefits from Firefox if its just a broswer and not default broswer?
I don't know what 80% of the web words mean and don't care but I just want to be able to use web for sites liek this one aka forums and youtube ' without interruptions' and photo storage.

Does it matter which broswer is default is my question now.

While you're at it install these two add-ons in Firefox. Both are from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a consumer privacy advocate organization.

HTTPS Everywhere. It forces a more secure connection to the websites you visit. (https:// instead of just plain 'ole http://)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/?src=search
Privacy Badger. This does an excellent job of blocking ads, trackers, etc. It "learns" what is actually tracking you across websites over time and only block what it needs. If you notice a website seems to be broken, you can temporarily disable PB on just that website, or get into the details and figure out what specific item needs to be unblocked on just that website.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-badger17/

Does it matter if I use Firefox for default broswer or Opera.
I googled hwo to set default broswer,came up with " http://askleo " which took me backto Opera saying it was mt default. I uninstalled Google Chrome was that wise?

So do I still get same benefits from Firefox if its just a broswer and not default broswer?
I don't know what 80% of the web words mean and don't care but I just want to be able to use web for sites liek this one aka forums and youtube ' without interruptions' and photo storage.

Does it matter which broswer is default is my question now.
Just having the software installed doesn't mean anything. You'll only have the benefits of Firefox when you are using Firefox.

I don't know enough about Opera to say with any confidence that it's a good or bad choice. I just know that you can't go wrong with Firefox.

Just having the software installed doesn't mean anything. You'll only have the benefits of Firefox when you are using Firefox.

I don't know enough about Opera to say with any confidence that it's a good or bad choice. I just know that you can't go wrong with Firefox.

HippoT, I just have Opera, Firefox now ,I uninstalled Google Chrome today. I tried to uninstall Abobi Flash but it won't leave for some reason, .Thank you.

HippoT, I just have Opera, Firefox now ,I uninstalled Google Chrome today. I tried to uninstall Abobi Flash but it won't leave for some reason, .Thank you.
Unfortunately half of the internet still needs flash to work right. There's a slow shift to replace it, but it'll be around for a long time to come. There's some advanced settings you can change to keep it from "auto-playing", but since you aren't tech savvy I won't send you down that rabbit hole. Just make sure you update it when you get the prompt.
There's a running joke around the internet that Adobe releases a different update for every line of code they change, b/c that's the only explanation for Flash needing an update every 2 hours. It's not actually that bad, but sometimes it feels like it.

Unfortunately half of the internet still needs flash to work right. There's a slow shift to replace it, but it'll be around for a long time to come. There's some advanced settings you can change to keep it from "auto-playing", but since you aren't tech savvy I won't send you down that rabbit hole. Just make sure you update it when you get the prompt.
There's a running joke around the internet that Adobe releases a different update for every line of code they change, b/c that's the only explanation for Flash needing an update every 2 hours. It's not actually that bad, but sometimes it feels like it.

HippoT thanks for not sending me down another rabbit hole I'm still digging my way out of this one.:ghostly::thumbs: Ok so maybe uninstall not working was a blessing in dequise.

Meerkat, the first time I ran Firefox it asked if I wanted it to be my default. I answered yes. When you go to the menu (the three lines in the upper right corner of Firefox You can ad for it to check that it is the default browser each time - say yes.
That should disable your other browsers.

Meerkat, the first time I ran Firefox it asked if I wanted it to be my default. I answered yes. When you go to the menu (the three lines in the upper right corner of Firefox You can ad for it to check that it is the default browser each time - say yes.
That should disable your other browsers.

I clicked on it and it doesn't ask me anything and doesn'r have settings on it,but I go to control panel and seems I still have Opera but Firefox icon is in my download on Opera.

Click on the Firefox icon. When it opens look at the far right top corner of the browser page. The icon on the far right of the several icons is three short lines stacked. Click on that. (menu bar) About halfway down that menu you will see Preferences. Click on that. The pages that opens will list "general" and under that it will list "Startup". You can make Firefox your default browser and click the box to "Always check if Firefox is your default browser". Then you can close that page (or tab) and it will remember your settings.

Click on the Firefox icon. When it opens look at the far right top corner of the browser page. The icon on the far right of the several icons is three short lines stacked. Click on that. (menu bar) About halfway down that menu you will see Preferences. Click on that. The pages that opens will list "general" and under that it will list "Startup". You can make Firefox your default browser and click the box to "Always check if Firefox is your default browser". Then you can close that page (or tab) and it will remember your settings.

SheepD I did that and think now my default is Firefox. It says it is. So I use Opera now to come here but Firefox is my new default. :Thankyou::thumbs:

Why continue to use opera?

Why continue to use opera?
I don't know how to pull up tabs for Firefox yet but I'm working on it, just have to take time when things slow down and I can think.
But at least I got this far with Firefox being my default brower.

I don't know how to pull up tabs for Firefox yet but I'm working on it, just have to take time when things slow down and I can think.
But at least I got this far with Firefox being my default brower.
when the window is open, press CTRL T.
I'll post screenshots of other ways when i get to my PC. I'm on a mac right now.

when the window is open, press CTRL T.
I'll post screenshots of other ways when i get to my PC. I'm on a mac right now.

No hurry Hippo,and thank you .I've been busy with things around the house so will get back to this .:Thankyou::thumbs:

Sorry, I forgot about this. These screenshots are all from Firefox v78, which is the current version.

#1 You can click the + next to your current open tab.
1596034971181.png

You can click the one of the options in the File drop-down.
1596035140748.png

If you don't see File, Edit, etc... your Menu Bar is turned off. Turn it on by right-clicking next to the + sign, and select "Menu Bar"
1596035280692.png

Living in tornado alley, we have to keep flash because NWS radar runs on it. They are supposed to change sometime. I always keep at least two browsers installed in case one get corrupted. I keep IE for some things because I like icons better than that stupid favorites list. Also, Chrome keeps shutting off Flash.

Living in tornado alley, we have to keep flash because NWS radar runs on it. They are supposed to change sometime. I always keep at least two browsers installed in case one get corrupted. I keep IE for some things because I like icons better than that stupid favorites list. Also, Chrome keeps shutting off Flash.
You're on borrowed time. Adobe is removing Flash from the internet at the end of the year. They're going as far as preventing flash content from running after that date.
Adobe made the announcement 3 years ago (July 2017), so any company still running flash on their website only has themselves to blame.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

You're on borrowed time. Adobe is removing Flash from the internet at the end of the year. They're going as far as preventing flash content from running after that date.
Adobe made the announcement 3 years ago (July 2017), so any company still running flash on their website only has themselves to blame.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html
You can bet that Adobe's patented/required flash-player for content going forward will not be free.
All of this crap about browsers getting 'too old' and having to be replaced all goes back to the "new version" of Adobe's flash player not being compatible with old browsers.
It's intentional, and it is a racket.
Everybody has to spend more money to keep the same thing they had.
Dictionary definition.

I don't use Adobe's version. I use an open source version that works better.

You can bet that Adobe's patented/required flash-player for content going forward will not be free.
All of this crap about browsers getting 'too old' and having to be replaced all goes back to the "new version" of Adobe's flash player not being compatible with old browsers.
It's intentional, and it is a racket.
Everybody has to spend more money to keep the same thing they had.
Dictionary definition.
Actually the internet standards replacing Flash are open source. The only thing behind a paywall will be the software with slick GUI's that make the webdev jobs easier. But if somebody smart is feeling charitable they could develop and release a FOSS alternative to the paid software. Similar to how GIMP is a FOSS alternative to Photoshop.

Latest posts

Back