How do I grow shrooms?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
How do I grow shrooms from a syringe of spores? My dad said horse dung is best but beyond that I don't know anything. Not even how to apply the spores to said dung or how to get it. I've considered, funnily, the idea of using poopsenders, the gag site

How do I get either of them?

I meant cow or horse dung. Shrooms are legal here if you buy shroom spores and make them yourself

depending on type of shroom some grow on wood and some people use straw. straw needs to be boiled first to kill off anything other than what you inoculate it with. oysters grow good in it straw in buckets. i have not used straw only wood for shiitake and oysters and was able to only grow one lions mane. shiitake need oak but oysters like poplar and ash. the oysters i grew were blue dolphins. i got spore from forest and field. no advice on other types. this is my only hands on experience.

The species of mushroom dictates the methods to grow it. Mushrooms grow on trees, even in the tops. Some like rotting logs, some open fields, leaf litter, cow pastures...

Search out growing info of the species you're interested in. Search using the latin name and you will get scientific data, university data base information and similar.

Around here "shrooms" are sought out by young folks. They are usually looking for Psilocybe cubensis. They don't know its name or that it can look very different depending on where its growing. It is fairly common in pastures, I've seen it in mine. But at my age a trip only means I have to get back up, easier said than done.🤕

Stay Away 2  .JPG

I meant cow or horse dung. Shrooms are legal here if you buy shroom spores and make them yourself
are you sure about that? Looks to me like possession of spores, if you're in the state I think you're in, is illegal. Was there a new law passed about that? Looks like California, Georgia, and
On the other hand, having possession of a solution that you add to your medium, cow pattie, log, mycelium, what have you, might not be. I'd want to be really sure it was legal before going too far.
In Georgia:
It’s illegal to sell or possess psilocybin mushroom spores in Georgia. As one of only three states to do so, residents aren’t hopeful that psilocybin or even the non-psilocybin-containing spores of the Psilocybe cubensis mushroom will be legalized or even decriminalized. The Georgia legal code refers to mushroom spores as “dangerous drugs” which will, when mature, contain “either psilocybin or psilocin.” From: Magic Mushrooms Legal States - Quality Spores
This is not old news and the date of 2022 is listed at the bottom of that webpage.

All I can tell ya is this: if you pick 'shrooms in the forest, be sure you know what you're doing, as "Death Caps" exist and the exit from this life is pure agony. :oops:

Shouldn't be an issue if you're using spores, as long as those spores came from magic mushrooms... :rolleyes:

Friend o' mine tried this once, using his bathtub for the experiment... dunno if he was ever successful, as I went off to the Arrrrgghmy. I'd try it in a garage or shed, maybe... darkness is important at some stage in development. :cool:

I live in CO "In May 2019, Denver, Colorado, became the first city in the United States to decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms after an ordinance was admitted to the ballot, and narrowly won with 50.6% of the vote."

How do I grow shrooms from a syringe of spores? My dad said horse dung is best but beyond that I don't know anything. Not even how to apply the spores to said dung or how to get it. I've considered, funnily, the idea of using poopsenders, the gag site
What kind of mushrooms do you want to grow? I am guessing psilocybin mushrooms. There are kits and all kinds of videos about growing them. Different types thrive in different mediums.

I live in Colorado, and I do know someone who lives in the Denver area who grows them. PM me, and we can see about potentially arranging to meet him. He is a friend of my daughters and I only see him once a year.
I live in CO "In May 2019, Denver, Colorado, became the first city in the United States to decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms after an ordinance was admitted to the ballot, and narrowly won with 50.6% of the vote."
And there is another something coming up for the whole state. Psychedelic mushroom decriminalization makes Colorado ballot

"DENVER (KDVR) — Colorado voters will decide in November whether to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms, and the initiative could open the door for decriminalizing other hallucinogens.

On Thursday, the Colorado Secretary of State’s Office said 225,140 signatures were submitted for Initiative 58. The office projects that about 138,760 are valid, putting the campaign more than 111% over its required signature goal.

The measure will be on the Nov. 8 ballot."

They are not legal to be in possession of, they are just decriminalized. There is no where to legally purchase them. Selling them is not legal.

Last edited:
Colorado has decriminalized mushrooms. We are the second state to do so, second to Oregon.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/11/09/proposition-122-colorado-results-psilocybin-mushrooms-2/
The measure will allow people 21 and older to grow and share psychedelic mushrooms, as well as create state-regulated centers where people could make appointments to consume psilocybin, the hallucination-inducing compound derived from psychedelic mushrooms. It calls for licensed “healing centers” to give clients mushrooms in a supervised setting, but — unlike marijuana — does not include an option for retail sales.

Once again, Colorado passed a drug measure that’s illegal under federal law. Psychedelic mushrooms became illegal in the U.S. in 1970 under the Controlled Substances Act. Even with Proposition 122’s passage, psilocybin remains federally classified as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, like heroin, for which there is no current medical use.

Colorado became the first to legalize marijuana a decade ago, and is second only to Oregon in legalizing psilocybin.

Luke Niforatos, chairman of Protect Colorado’s Kids, said he was concerned as a parent and for Colorado’s public health.

“We now need to have a very frank and public conversation about who is in charge of medicine,” he said. “This is now the second time our state has rejected the FDA process.”

Niforatos, who is also executive vice president of the Foundation for Drug Policy Solutions, said Colorado has allowed “billionaires, startups and entrepreneurs” to take control of medicine in this state instead of “scientists, medical doctors and the FDA.”

Niforatos said that if opponents of the measure had been able to raise enough money to educate the public about the dangers of allowing the use of drugs with no regulated dosage amounts or prescriptions, Proposition 122 would have failed.

“We can’t compete with $4 million from out of state,” he said, adding that proponents of the measure and the psilocybin industry will benefit from its passage while his side had no payoff to entice big-money donors.

He’s also concerned that the opening of psychedelic healing centers and advertising of the drugs in cities across Colorado will normalize drug use among young people, leading to more teens using psilocybin. There is no opt-out provision in Prop 122 for cities and counties that do not want psychedelic healing centers, although cities and counties could enact rules about where the centers could open and their hours of operation.

Proposition 122 also will allow facilities to expand to three plant-based psychedelics in 2026. Those are ibogaine, from the root bark of an iboga tree; mescaline, which is from cacti; and dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, a natural compound found in plants and animals. Mental health centers and substance abuse treatment clinics also could seek licenses to offer psychedelic treatment.

The natural medicines, used to treat anxiety and depression, are obtained now through friends who grow them or from underground “trip guides” who sit with clients during a psychedelic experience, then help them process afterward.

Three years ago, Denver residents voted to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms, making possession a low priority for law enforcement.

With the passage of Proposition 122, Gov. Jared Polis has until Jan. 31 to appoint 15 members to the National Medicine Advisory Board, which will report to the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies.

The board’s first recommendations are due by Sept. 30, and regulated access to psilocybin would become available in late 2024. Then by June 2026, the state Department of Regulatory Agencies could expand access to the three other plant-based psychedelics.

Reactions: Neb
There are some House Resolutions here in Oregon to allow psilocybin to be sold

I believe that I have read that Shitaki are grown on oak logs. I know that many types of mushrooms grow around oak trees.

9spa

I believe that I have read that Shitaki are grown on oak logs. I know that many types of mushrooms grow around oak trees.

9spa
Yes they are, but you have to cut the log at a time for best growth & there are a few other trees, that will work.
Others in saw dust, others in wheat straw, others in wood chips, a few in animal manure compost.
https://www.fieldforest.net/category/SHOP

>>>"What is a sterilized grain bag used for? These sterilized grains can be used to make a grain spawn bag to grow any kind of mushroom. The point of sterilizing grains is to kill all living organisms and provide a clean source of nutrition for mushroom mycelium."
I might have known someone who grew shrooms at home, maybe. Another who harvested 'shrooms in the wild pastures of cow patties. Both have since passed on as a result of having lived.

Reactions: Neb
I saw my college buddies eat a 'shroom pizza. The trip I observed them taking, made me want nothing to do with 'shrooms. Weed can at least have benefits other than the high, 'shrooms have none...
According to Joe Rogan the trip mushrooms are used to help soldiers that are shell shocked.

Last edited:
My buddies saw things that weren't there on their trip.
Ah, but what if they were there and you just couldn't see them before the shroom/cactus bud/LSD/tryptophan hit your brain? bugs you a bit huh?:oops:

Ah, but what if they were there and you just couldn't see them before the shroom/cactus bud/LSD/tryptophan hit your brain? bugs you a bit huh?:oops:
Nope. It's not in my nature to play that game. The two pictures on my wall didn't trade places and there wasn't a pink clam sitting on my shoulder. It doesn't bug me to say that at all...

Nope. It's not in my nature to play that game. The two pictures on my wall didn't trade places and there wasn't a pink clam sitting on my shoulder. It doesn't bug me to say that at all...
We played with shrooms a lot when I was young because they were FREE!!! :woo hoo:
We learned a lot.
There are 'good' trips, and there are 'bad' trips... nobody talks about that.
Doing them in a serene setting is vital.
People having a bad trip is where the phrase: "He's trippin'!!!:oops:" came from.
Use with caution.

I've been a big advocate of shrooms and ketamine for PTSD for a while, both had worked wonders for me. I know there's been lots of research about micro-dosing both of them recently with very promising results. IMHO, shrooms work better and last longer, but I've been using ketamine recently in conjunction w/therapy with good results - mainly because I can get it prescribed at the local pharmacy (in sub-lingual lozenge form) legally, in a consistent dosage (knowing that the effects will wear off in 1.5 hours and I'll be safe to work/drive/etc.).

That being said, I've got some experimentation in fungiculture planned for this fall and would be happy to share my results/research with @AMC or anyone else interested via PM - assuming my "supplies" make it past customs...

Back