How do you fight the bees in your deer blind?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No deer blind on this property, but the bees are still welcome... even the wasps, as long as they're not problematic. One reason why I allow flowering weeds to grow on my property is to help the honeybees... I noticed some new wildflowers popping up in my yard as well, they are always a welcome sight. I believe I'm gonna buy some wildflower seeds to sow in the yard, maybe cover 'em with topsoil right before a good rain. :rolleyes:

I don't have a deer blind as I just sit on the back deck and shoot them. In regards to bees in tight quarters where they would not just let you sit and leave them alone, I just spray with a wasp foam. Others, I let live if distance is good.

Are you asking about bees or wasps? And why would you care in the off season? When deer season arrives sit a smudge pot in the blind for a day to get rid of summer residents.

Here in the deep south creepy/crawlers inhabit structures year round. Not that difficult to drive off.

I love that idea, @Peanut since watching a movie called "The Pollinators." It isn't just the poison humans are spraying at everything that is wiping out colonies. I didn't know but everybody else in the world knew, that is how beekeepers get the bees to be quieter, they smoke them. They panic and suck up as much honey as they can cuz they think the forest is on fire, tummies full of honey makes for a docile bee. Okay! Sorry, I didn't know. Maybe one other person here doesn't know.

How do you shut your deer blind openings to keep the bees out during the off season?..

First, +1 for what Sir Peanut said.. but, if it "must be done", this stuff will 'Get er Dun': NO-SEE-UM NETTING Fabric Mesh :cool: Great Co / CS, Great product, and Lots of 'other uses', besides the Obvious, also (ie: Rain-catchment: leaves / bugs / bird-scootie, etc 'coarse' filtration.. 👍

jd

As long as yellow jackets and hornets aren't attacking me and mine I let them alone. They are predators and good for pest control in the garden.

I liked the idea of building a trap that used cat food for bait and a pan of soapy water to trap them as shown in this video.

Before I learned about the trap idea I had to deal with a nest of yellow jackets in a railroad tie. A bee keepers veil and blouse worked great. Used modern chemistry and walked right up to the nest and let them have it. Chuckled as they bounced off me and fell to the ground.

Ben

Honey bees attack for two reasons. You threaten them, don't swat the. The other reason is that they feel a threat to the hive. If you are around the hive a lot they will get used to you. If bees are bumping into you it is called head butting. This is the bee telling you that they don't like where you are or what you are doing. If they sing you they die so that is their last option. They will sting, and die to protect the hive. When a bee dies it releases pheromones that tell other bees. This makes it more likely that you will be stung again.

I always worked with a net over my head but with some hives I could work in a tee shirt and no gloves.

NAPALM. Just saying, YMMV.

We didn't go quite that far.
We just blasted the nest with one of these and they were toast :thumbs::
102719.webp

Latest posts

Back