How do you repel or kill mosquitoes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Like everyone on the planet earth, I hate those blood-sucking disease-spreading culex pipiens (aka the mosquito). There are many natural and unnatural methods of keeping them off your person and away from your patio, garden, deck, etc. What have you tried that works? What have you tried that is worthless?

For example:

On our patio we use a Dynatrap. It basically uses Co2 to attract mosquitoes, sucks them inside, and they die of dehydration. It works pretty well based both on the lack of flying insects on our patio and the number of bug corpses I toss out every week during the summer. The problem is the thing was fairly expenses at around $150 and it takes a few days to really get up and running. Otherwise we like it and plan to buy another one. That is unless you know of something the works better for less $.

dynatrap.png

Well, you could invite me to the party. I am the bug magnet. The bugs will be all over me, and they will leave everyone else alone.

Short of that I will use any repellant that has a high DEET content. I will take my chances with cancer down the road. I want to be rid of the mosquitoes NOW. I use that if I am going to be outside for a prolonged period of time. Avon Skin-so-Soft is effective for the backyard barbeque where you aren't outside as long.

I share your pain. It rocks my faith to understand why God put them on earth.

I am a Deep Woods Off guy myself. I just hate the odor.

A buddy of mine sprays his yard (in the country) with some kind of garlic spray. Swears it helps keep them away but he has to spray it again after every rain.

A buddy of mine sprays his yard (in the country) with some kind of garlic spray

I think the garlic would smell worse than the DEEP WOODS Off. Whatever works.

Moved to an area that is much more arid!

There were so many mosquitoes when I lived in North Dakota! There was a public meeting about how to reduce mosquito population and there were so many people in attendance they couldn't all fit in the room.

When the mosquitoes take off in North Dakota the end up in Wisconsin.

Make sure no standing water like in plant containers,old tires, kids sand buckets,etc,etc,etc,.Don't wear colone to ' heck with this french crap spelling,hard enough to spell englishSPL'.

Getting rid standing water does more good than any spray.

That said there are many plants that deter mosquitoes. Pelargonium citrosum "The mosquito plant" is sold every where. It has one detractor... the university of Guelph, (whoever the heck they are)... I did notice someone is selling a book about myths that included this study...

That plant aside there are many plants that do work... Several of them you use for cooking almost daily... Rosemary, Basil, Bee Balm, Mint, Sage... Move your kitchen herb garden onto your deck, it's summer, let them grow outside. Also... Allium sp, grow any of the onions or garlic species in pots on your porch as well... They work.

A few others that work - Catnip, Lavender, Marigolds & and any of the scented Geraniums.

If you really want to get serious there is a plant I use to drive off mosquitoes, fleas and ticks... Dogfennel - Eupatorium capillifolium

Publication : USDA ARS
The dog-fennel oil was more potent than the conventional insecticide malathion. In conclusion, these combined results showed Eupatorium capillifolium oil is a promising novel source of a biological insecticide with multiple modes of action.

Of note is the phrase “more potent than the conventional insecticide malathion”. Now thats some serious bug repellent.

Last edited:
My nephew came over one year and sprayed the yard. Not a single skeeter was seen for the rest of the summer. The problem was the spray he used killed off all the bugs and was not good for animals.
We didn't have cats or dogs then so that wasn't a problem but now it would be. He also needed a commercial applicator license which he no longer has.
I had a yard care company come out and spray and it really reduced the number of bugs but didn't eliminate them completely.
We don't have any standing water but we have a pasture that holds enough moisture the mosquitoes thrive in it.
When I went to Alaska the first thing they gave me was Deepwoods Off. I figured out the mosquitoes know that whoever was using it was fresh new blood and they tried to drain my blood.

I've never heard of that. Sorry if it's a silly question, but what do you do and how does it work?
I tried to upload a pic of it but couldn't.
Take a tarnesd penny and put it into a zip lock bag.then fill it with water.then hang it from the eve of the porch,thats suppose to fool the fly's into believing that eggs have been làyed already.

edit.Here's. a pic of it

edit
0530200827.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to upload a pic of it but couldn't.
Take a tàrnesed penny and put it into a zip lock bag.then fill it with water.then hang it from the eve of the porch,thats suppose to fool the fly's into believing that eggs have been làyed already.
Fly bags consist of plastic bags filled with water, and often shiny pennies are added to further confound insects. Durable, clear, 1-gallon, plastic, zip-top bags work well, but use the sturdy, freezer-safe variety or double bag the water. You can use different bags, but ensure they are sturdy enough to hold the water's weight without bursting.

1590845584958.png

https://www.hunker.com/13405986/how-to-repel-bugs-with-pennies-water-plastic-bags
Grand a used to do that. She also put the pie safe legs on plates and put water in the plates
keeps ants away from the food
you can also do that to a picnic table

Mosquitoes were wanting me last night while I was puttering around in the yard. I poured a little blue mouthwash in my hand and rubbed it on my bare arms, ankles, bottoms of legs, neck. It absolutely worked!

In the spring before skeeters start to get bad, I take apple cider vinegar tablets for a month or so. When I'm outside, I seem to be less tasty then others around me. I'm not 100% certain that it works, but ACV has other medicinal values, so I take it. I haven't been bitten yet this year, but they haven't been that bad yet either.

Oh! remembered another but for special occasions. Buy black walnut hull capsules at the health food store. If you plan to be outside for a few hours, picnic, fishing etc. Take them as directed for a couple of days in advance... They will repel mosquitoes and ticks for a day or so. I've used them many time like this, always work.

Back