How do you select a watermelon?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks pickle the rind.
I'm told putting a chunk of the rind in crappy whiskey vastly improves the flavor as well.
I doubt it will turn "Mellow Corn" into Famous Grouse, but you never know.

I'm told putting a chunk of the rind in crappy whiskey vastly improves the flavor as well.
We also candy the rind in heavy syrup, it keeps all winter.

Try balancing a broomstraw across the Mellon if the straw rotates to parallel with the Mellon it's supposed to be ripe.
I have done it and the straw will not rotate on a green Mellon.
Same thing with boiled eggs I'm told.
That sounds viable.

A sugar molecule has a magnetic attribute that could be involved. After all it is the sugar content that is the bottom line in ripeness.

Ben

I've pickeled watermelon rind...works great. The whiskey thing...interesting idea.

Answer to the thead title?...by weight. You pick a watermelon by relative weight. Get the heaviest one.

Crappy year for melons here, bummed. I eat a lot of melon in summer. It's rained for a month. First, they need sun to ripen correctly, haven't had nearly enough. Melons will get a tell-tell white veins in the meat that are abnormally thick (thin white veins appear in some varieties).

Then all the rain itself adds up, melons literally get a washout out flavor, diluted. When it's really bad, melons show all the outward signs of ripeness... but will start to rot on the inside though it's clear the melon never got 'ripe'.

This melon got way to much water, got ripe, started to rot. The rind is way to thick. It's mature, notice the seeds. Too much rain and not enough sun did this...

Rain Melon a  (3).JPG

Last edited:
Same!

I got one from the store a few weeks ago and it was completely rotten on the inside. It looked fine on the outside.
We buy mostly cut up watermelon. It's more expensive that way, but we have less to throw away too. We've tried to grow watermelon at home but the season is too short and nine have ever mutured. We might try starting a few plants in the house around March and get them in the ground around mid June.

We buy mostly cut up watermelon. It's more expensive that way, but we have less to throw away too. We've tried to grow watermelon at home but the season is too short and nine have ever mutured. We might try starting a few plants in the house around March and get them in the ground around mid June.
I can see you rolling your eyes at me reading this LOL, but. I don't trust cut up fruit or veggies, ever. They can get contaminated too easy. I would rather wash and cut them up myself. I wonder if the walmart would give me another one if I went there with the receipt and told them it was rotten. Surely they don't expect me to bring a stinking rotten melon back. Or would they?
But yeah, we have only had 1 year here that was warm enough long enough to grow watermelon. I have some sort of melon growing right now, not sure they will get ripe ( forgot what, not watermelon)

some one gave three watermelons to the wife & she gave two away.
I eat half at one sitting, it was good, but not home grown.
is it a citron, sonya123 ?
1692986176771.png

The citron melon (Citrullus caffer), also called Citrullus lanatus var. citroides
The citron melon (Citrullus caffer), also called Citrullus lanatus var. citroides

Last edited:
I can see you rolling your eyes at me reading this LOL, but. I don't trust cut up fruit or veggies, ever. They can get contaminated too easy. I would rather wash and cut them up myself. I wonder if the walmart would give me another one if I went there with the receipt and told them it was rotten. Surely they don't expect me to bring a stinking rotten melon back. Or would they?
But yeah, we have only had 1 year here that was warm enough long enough to grow watermelon. I have some sort of melon growing right now, not sure they will get ripe ( forgot what, not watermelon)
Thanks. Now I have something else to worry about.

Latest posts

Back