• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

How hard is it for you to stay home for 2+ weeks?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It was announced that school here is closed for the school year and that online school will start in 2 weeks yesterday.
I am waiting for that to be announced here as well. That wouldn't change our situation (we homeschool), but that will mean big changes for people who have young children and were expecting to be able to go back to work in a few weeks.

Tsrwivey

Super Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We’ve been home for three weeks already with another two weeks at least to go. The first week the school kids were on Spring Break so we usually stay home because everywhere is crowded. The last two weeks we’ve been home so our medically fragile son doesn’t get it. Now the county has a stay home order. The boys and I are pretty social but luckily we have three families we’re friends with that homeschool and the parents strictly work from home. They went on lockdown when we did so they come over to swim, hike, and ride go carts. I’m getting tons done and we’ve just about finished our academic year but I miss my weekly evening out with friends though.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Everyone I talk to and text has one need for outside contact: food! Fortunately, most people I know are now getting food delivered from grocery stores.

My 85 year old aunt in South Dakota told me she is going to the grocery store this morning to get food for a couple weeks. She has no masks, but thinks it is safer in small town S.D. It might be for now, but that could change in heart beat. I have no idea how almost 95 year old uncle and his wife are getting their needs met. They do have a retired son who lives in their small town. When I talked to him a few months ago, he complained about many things in dealing with them. I understand the challenges of dealing with older people, but I suggested that a weekly grocery store run with or for them would probably alleviate some of the concern about dad getting on the highway to drive 35 miles to buy groceries. Cousin and his wife have to do a drive somewhere to get groceries. Why not take care of elderly parents in the process? Why not make planned days for taking care of needs? I wonder if they can get groceries delivered at that distance?

I would think that having elderly parents at this time is a big concern and challenge.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If it wasn't for my wife's to do list and her opinion on how we should spend free time I could sleep 2 weeks away without even noticing. I haven't run out of stuff to do and I've been if for almost a month now with a few necessary breaks of quarantine that were necessary. Maybe 5-6 times I've left my house which included necessary work tasks and dental surgery.

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
Food & water & meds have been our reasons to go in. I do have to check the post office from time to time. Tomorrow my brother is supposed to have a court appearance but I don't know if it will be canceled or postponed. I don't think he's even been thinking about it at all & I hope he has something nice to wear. He doesn't have any suits-- very hard to find a suit jacket large enough to fit his shoulders for a decent price.

It's for a bogus misdemeanor charge. A girl he was starting to see invited him over to meet her father. Her father decided he didn't like him and said "I think you should leave" So my brother turned to leave & the girl was between him & the door. He asked her if she wanted to come with him when he left & the girl's father pulled out a gun, pointed it at his head and said "I'm going to blow your f***ing brains out". My brother managed to grab the gun and point it toward the floor with his finger behind the trigger to block it from being fired. The guy kept trying to get the gun back and was screaming at him that he was going to kill him. The girl was screaming, the neighbors called the cops. The guy lied & claimed he pulled the gun bc my brother was refusing to leave. The girl wanted to go with my brother but the father told the cops she wasn't allowed to and said she was autistic (she has mild aspergers) and he didn't want her to leave so the cops made her stay. He then held her captive for the next week until her work (my brother worked at the same place as her & immediately notified HR what was going on) called for a wellness check & the cops told him he had to let her go to work but didn't charge him with unlawful detainment or anything.

Again, that is part of why I don't like people around here and I'm happy to stay home. I think I'm going to watch some stuff on the DVR since we can't stream videos on our connection due to bandwidth restrictions.

Last edited:

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Weedygarden .you might let her know,that i live in a small city of just over 1200.in which there's now a case within 1mile of me as of yesterday.
I told her that I was concerned for her going out and that I would send her a mask. She told me to save the masks for younger people. I am going to see how I can get some sent out to her and her family who are close. I am staying home, and have tools to figure out package weights and mail fees, and then buy the postage online. She has a son who has a wife and 3 grown children who live 25 miles outside of her town, in the country. I thought one of them would help her get groceries, but she thinks she needs something to do. She has always stayed busy since her husbands death, around 8 years ago. She participated in a group of older people, mostly widows, that met for coffee on weekdays. There has been lots of turnover in that group as people become widowed and others die. That group was so important to her especially in the first year after she became widowed. She and her husband were socially active people, always on the go. My guess is that she, like many older people, are isolated now, and it will not be good for them.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thank you.
Then you do not eat sandwiches? I was thinking of making g.f. sandwich bread for my daughter. She does eat sandwiches once in a while when she can find g.f. bread.I found a recipe for King Arthur Gluten-free all purpose flour. I had no idea King Arthur made a g.f. flour. We usually use Pamela's, which is at least twice the price of white flour.
We have used King Arthur flour 3 self rising and 2 plain for baking for years, usually order 25 lb.s at a time '5 lb.bages. I like the taste of it more so than store bought although now its sold in stores too.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Its been rough goingsince Sep.2019 so anxiety is bad for me at times,so I have to find things to do. I rearange things that need to be organized, and dusted. I can always wash windows that get dirty from dirt roads and garden.Exercise helps alot.
Listen to misic and try not to watch too much doom and hgloom since we'er living it now.o_O
Hubby was pretty good at pool but I never cared for it since I was not good at it.But a fewdays ago we watched Minnisota Fats and Willie Mosconi compete,it was ' surprising 'interesting to me too. Or I watch silly women do makeup and tell their non ploitical,religious little stories and the couple traveling around in their boat who are now stuck in South Africa trying to get to their boat in Tonga.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have used King Arthur flour 3 self rising and 2 plain for baking for years, usually order 25 lb.s at a time '5 lb.bages. I like the taste of it more so than store bought although now its sold in stores too.
I looked at King Arthur gluten free flour. It is not cheap! GF flour is usually a blend of about 4 kinds of grains. Rice flour is common in gf flour and the base. Other commonly used ingredients include potato starch, tapioca flour, brown rice flour. I have rice and some rice flour, and I have a few other things, but wish I had stocked up more on gf flour ingredients. Brown rice would have to be stored in the freezer because it goes rancid easily. Xanthan gum is necessary in gf flour, to hold it together. I do have some of that.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I looked at King Arthur gluten free flour. It is not cheap! GF flour is usually a blend of about 4 kinds of grains. Rice flour is common in gf flour and the base. Other commonly used ingredients include potato starch, tapioca flour, brown rice flour. I have rice and some rice flour, and I have a few other things, but wish I had stocked up more on gf flour ingredients. Brown rice would have to be stored in the freezer because it goes rancid easily. Xanthan gum is necessary in gf flour, to hold it together. I do have some of that.
Weedy that would be a little harder than just regular flour.We don't mind gluten so we just buy the regular kind.Its about time for another order,but not sure they have any.

dademoss

Retired Scapegoat
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So far, no shopping trips for 9 days :) We took some short walks to start getting into better shape. I'll run out of beer, so surprise, it's not a long term kinda survival item :) Next shopping trip is 4/3, after the DW 3 week post op checkup. Some fresh lettuce, canned tomatoes if they have em, beer, potatoes, pasta sauce. So far, way easier then when when we went grid down for 8 days after Ike blew through.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
... I'll run out of beer, so surprise, it's not a long term kinda survival item :) .
Hey, hey now!!!
I picked up beer todaybiggrin.gif.
There are essentials, and then there is beerToast.gif.
Plenty to be had because people can't hoard beer.
If you have beer, the rest is just a minor inconvenience.lol.gif

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So far, no shopping trips for 9 days :) We took some short walks to start getting into better shape. I'll run out of beer, so surprise, it's not a long term kinda survival item :) Next shopping trip is 4/3, after the DW 3 week post op checkup. Some fresh lettuce, canned tomatoes if they have em, beer, potatoes, pasta sauce. So far, way easier then when when we went grid down for 8 days after Ike blew through.
Hey, hey now!!!
I picked up beer todayView attachment 38330.
There are essentials, and then there is beerView attachment 38331.
Plenty to be had because people can't hoard beer.
If you have beer, the rest is just a minor inconvenience.View attachment 38332

I'lll drink to thatdrink buddy🍻

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We stock beer for guests and my brother. He is staying with us for a short stay and brought some beer with him.
I do have hard liquor as well and some wine but my wife and I rarely drink alcohol at home. Tequila is KETO friendly and is one that I can drink. I think Scotch is another KETO friendly alcohol as are my dry red wines. Although the wine is drinking wine I use it when cooking most often.

CountryGuy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So far no change for me other than kids are home from school and Mrs isn't running 10 times a day. Work is full bore and crazy so no down time. I did work from home Friday but that is a fairly regular norm.

This week I'm going to try and only drive to the plant on Tues and Thursday if I can and just work online from the house otherwise. Would be nice to save the gas though I will say that is the one bright spot out of this entire mess, low gas prices. Some places are down to $1.94 though others are around 2.09-2.20. lowest I've seen it here in PA in years. So I keep filling up a couple of my empty cans and topping off the vehicles.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So far no change for me other than kids are home from school and Mrs isn't running 10 times a day. Work is full bore and crazy so no down time. I did work from home Friday but that is a fairly regular norm.

This week I'm going to try and only drive to the plant on Tues and Thursday if I can and just work online from the house otherwise. Would be nice to save the gas though I will say that is the one bright spot out of this entire mess, low gas prices. Some places are down to $1.94 though others are around 2.09-2.20. lowest I've seen it here in PA in years. So I keep filling up a couple of my empty cans and topping off the vehicles.
Stay safe!

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I bought some coconut flour and eventually I will add some of that when I bake bread again. Likely be another month before I bake any more gluten free bread.
My wife is just about out of regular bread so her or I will likely bake some regular bread within a week. We do have an un-used bread maker and we might use that for her regular bread.

CountryGuy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Curious how many others are in critical businesses and having to be out and about everyday and aren't able to stay home?

My company manufactures medical components, in fact one of the items we manufacture goes to a customer in Europe for use in a ventialort filter assembly. So they've been off the hook but several of our customers are going crazy on orders. One took what would normally be 4 weeks of inventory in 1 day and that was like 9 million units.

I find it laughable though with some of these customers. For example, that filter vent item, that company has 4 molds to make 2 different sizes. 2 molds for each of the parts we mold for them. One each of those molds had parts robbed off them for the last several years to keep the sister mold running. We've been trying to get them to buy spare parts to get those back up since 2015 or 16 and we've gotten exactly 0 response. Now all of a sudden it's like walk on water to get those up and going and they don't want to hear that some of the spare parts will take 5 to 6 weeks to make new and that is expediting them. What we warned them of finally happened and now they don't want to hear the reality of their situation. Once those parts come we typically would then have several months of jumping thru hoops to requalify them. I have a suspicion these will get a very quick signoff in hours rather than weeks. Why now is it suddenly ok and "safe" to do so?

So much crap in medical is driven by overzealous government entities like the FDA and their global equivalents along with lawyers or should I say fear of lawyers and lawsuits. Why is it products and drugs tested and approved in say the EU, Canada or Australia aren't allowed to be used here in the US until years (typically 5 to 7) of FDA testing is completed? I mean those countries and EU have a pretty high standard for approval, it's not like we're saying Rwanda has approved it for use. How many people die as the bureaucrats tie things up with red tape trying to justify their existence and bloating the costs. Look at the entire BS going back and forth over the malaria drugs and whether their efficacy is real. Tell you what, if I end up with this crap you better bet I'm demanding it based on the Dr interviews I've seen who have used it on patients and describe the impact as near miraculous. Companies like Novartis and Bayer didn't crank up making something like 30 million doses a month for nothing. Is saw Novartis committed to donating something like 30 million doses to the fight.

Ok off my soap box. Sorry just this industry can be so aggravating.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@CountryGuy At least what you need now you'll get ASAP. These days I just sit on the farm but... For a couple of years my job was to alpha test and then beta test both hardware and software... Since this was for an R&D catscan and beta testing was on actual patients in hospitals... there were FDA signatures required everywhere and during every phase... So I can definitely relate to that pain. Sometimes I think the reason government agencies think up new hoops and have folks jump through them is so they can justify their own existence... Without dozens of hoops they wouldn't be needed at all or at least half their employees. It's called job security!

Last edited:

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
I wish I could stay in, or home for two weeks. At least I've been home for 3 days, I think. Lol
But now our Commander in Chief has extended social distancing to April 30. I see they're calling it voluntary. Nice of them.
Priced airline tickets. Sheesh, could go lots of places, practically empty flights!

Latest posts