How I Vacuum Seal without Vacuum Sealer Bags

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ive thought about this before but never tried it --just as in wondering if i cant get any more sealer bags what i might try. this lasy has been using the thick freezer bags. there is a little trick to it--but i tohught this was pretty interesting. has anyone ever tried this?

I’ve been doing that with dry goods and save the ’good’ plastic for freezer items. Freezer storage bags, cut off the slider part. Works fine, and much cheaper.
Storage bags are too flimsy. Thicker freezer bags are better for any use.

ive thought about this before but never tried it --just as in wondering if i cant get any more sealer bags what i might try. this lasy has been using the thick freezer bags. there is a little trick to it--but i tohught this was pretty interesting. has anyone ever tried this?

Thank you! That's something I'd not really thought of.

I’ve been doing that with dry goods and save the ’good’ plastic for freezer items. Freezer storage bags, cut off the slider part. Works fine, and much cheaper.
Storage bags are too flimsy. Thicker freezer bags are better for any use.

thanks so much tootsie for telling us that--im definitly going to be trying it. she had an extra step of adding 3 little thin 'tab's she felt helped create a better suction---is that something you do also?

it sure would be easier and cheaper to stock up on some good freezer bags for future vac sealing than the more expensive bags and rolls.

No, I don’t do anything with the top. Cut it off and pitch it. I can’t see any practical use to save it.
Cutting it just beneath the slider just makes it easiest to cut a straight line. If you wanted a smaller bag, you could just cut lower.

No, I don’t do anything with the top. Cut it off and pitch it. I can’t see any practical use to save it.
Cutting it just beneath the slider just makes it easiest to cut a straight line. If you wanted a smaller bag, you could just cut lower.

I was hoping it would work without that extra step! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back