How many AMPs can be pushed through 10/3 extension cord......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30-40 depending on exactly what type of wire.

Drop per foot depends on how many amps and your voltage.

at 30 amps, you will lose 5.2% of your voltage for 120 volt system at 100 feet 10 gauge with copper wire.

For a 240 volt system, 2.62%

Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. I had not considered starting out with 220v and splitting it into 110v

30-40 depending on exactly what type of wire.

Drop per foot depends on how many amps and your voltage.

at 30 amps, you will lose 5.2% of your voltage for 120 volt system at 100 feet 10 gauge with copper wire.

For a 240 volt system, 2.62%
Thank you for that answer.

I would have made it toooooo complicated.

;)

Ben

There is a formula, but you have to start with circular mils & I have not looked at it in 40 years.
Do you have a Ugly Book?
10Gauge Triple tap extension cord is best.

Aluminum wire requires special connectors and lower amperage to prevent fatigue that can cause breaks and shorts. In most code work it is not recommended in housing.
It is still used in main from transformer to house and long span high voltage power transmission.

OK, but after three years when you have to replace that aluminum wire because of a fire will copper wire be any cheaper?
Just trying to help you out of the trouble you are headed for and the expense of the repairs.

I am happy to use aluminum to run between my buildings, the wire inside my buildings is all copper.

I have no idea what the OP is planning here, but if he is asking about 100' spans and maximum amps, I'm assuming we are talking about between building runs or similar. The problem with aluminum, as mentioned, is the connectors need extra attention, but for between building use, you're only talking about one set of connection at each end, which are usually heavy clamps and easy to work with.

Yes this would be laying on the ground 150 feet. I am thinking of dragging one of my buildings over the property line and closer to a building that is "Properly" connected to the grid. The "Shack" I have been living in for 23 years, is powered with extension cords, off a "Temporary" Construction remote pedestal.

Yes this would be laying on the ground 150 feet. I am thinking of dragging one of my buildings over the property line and closer to a building that is "Properly" connected to the grid. The "Shack" I have been living in for 23 years, is powered with extension cords, off a "Temporary" Construction remote pedestal.

My house was powered that way for about eight years....a literal 12 gauge extension cord running 300 feet from another property that was on the grid, that then ran to a series of splitters and extension cords inside my place.

A few years ago when that property needed its main power pole box replaced, I took the opportunity and buried a heavy duty aluminum line to my place all the way from the pole, primarily so I could run 240 volt tools down here. I can't actually remember the gauge now...it was 00 or something like that.

Funny story too, as originally I was just going to replace the extension cord so I went to buy just 300', but when I went to Lowes and asked the guy there for 300' feet he just looked at the spool and said "I've got a migraine, I guarantee there is at least 300' feet on that spool, how about I just sell you the whole spool and charge it as 300'" You didn't have to ask me twice.

When I got home and layed it out, it was actually about 500', enough to go all the way to the pole instead of the out building I was planning on.

I buried 000 aluminum on the newer building 225 feet. 000 is what the power company runs from the transformer to my permanent "Remote Pedestal".

No you wouldn't. :(
The last time I bought 00 copper I got a great deal at a surplus sales place and paid just $5 per foot. I would expect it to be 3 or 4 times that now.
That was not Direct bury cable.

Latest posts

Back