How many ways to fix taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told you can use white potatoes in place of sweet potatoes or squash for everything but pie.
You can make bread with it also, not like wheat flour, but it works.
White potatoes go with any meat or fish.

1639242650661.png

When I grill steaks, I do potatoes like this:

Slice potatoes into coin shaped disks (like you see in scalloped potatoes). Do the same with an onion, then pull the onion disks will pull apart into rings.

Pull out maybe a two foot length of aluminum foil (better if heavy duty stuff).

Put a little olive oil on foil and smear around (so things won't stick).

Layer potatoes, onions, potatoes, onions, potatoes. Sprinkle olive oil over each layer as you build them up. Add salt and pepper to each layer too. Don't fret about putting too many onions in. Load it up.

Close up foil, rolling edges to prevent leaking. Add a second layer of foil if you are using the lightweight variety.

Grill foil packet alongside steaks (start before steaks because potatoes will take longer). Turn occasionally, carefully so as not to tear the foil.

Total grilling time will be 30 minutes to 45 minutes in my experience - depending on how fat you stuffed the thing. The outside layers will brown and that is the best part IMHO. If you like that browning too, just do three layers - potato, onion, potato - and grill for a shorter time. It's usually easier to make multiple packets rather than one huge packet if you're feeding a lot of people.

I saw this thread and it triggered a memory.
When I was 9 years old, my mother and brothers and I went to Arkansas to meet some of my relatives on my daddy's side.
One of my aunts was married to a potato farmer. They had a bunch of kids, and they were desperately poor. Since potatoes is what they grew, potatoes was almost the only thing they ate.
They invited us to dinner, and that was one of the most interesting meals I ever ate.
Fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, cream potatoes, and potatoes cooked more ways than I can remember.
That was all. Just potatoes.

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 6
The favorite potato for my wife is my twice baked potatoes. I can make them a meal or a side dish.

I saw this thread and it triggered a memory.
When I was 9 years old, my mother and brothers and I went to Arkansas to meet some of my relatives on my daddy's side.
One of my aunts was married to a potato farmer. They had a bunch of kids, and they were desperately poor. Since potatoes is what they grew, potatoes was almost the only thing they ate.
They invited us to dinner, and that was one of the most interesting meals I ever ate.
Fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, cream potatoes, and potatoes cooked more ways than I can remember.
That was all. Just potatoes.
In the state of Iowa, it is similar when it is corn harvest season. It is corn and corn. Now do you want corn for dinner, but how many ears do you want?

When I grill steaks, I do potatoes like this:

Slice potatoes into coin shaped disks (like you see in scalloped potatoes). Do the same with an onion, then pull the onion disks will pull apart into rings.

Pull out maybe a two foot length of aluminum foil (better if heavy duty stuff).

Put a little olive oil on foil and smear around (so things won't stick).

Layer potatoes, onions, potatoes, onions, potatoes. Sprinkle olive oil over each layer as you build them up. Add salt and pepper to each layer too. Don't fret about putting too many onions in. Load it up.

Close up foil, rolling edges to prevent leaking. Add a second layer of foil if you are using the lightweight variety.

Grill foil packet alongside steaks (start before steaks because potatoes will take longer). Turn occasionally, carefully so as not to tear the foil.

Total grilling time will be 30 minutes to 45 minutes in my experience - depending on how fat you stuffed the thing. The outside layers will brown and that is the best part IMHO. If you like that browning too, just do three layers - potato, onion, potato - and grill for a shorter time. It's usually easier to make multiple packets rather than one huge packet if you're feeding a lot of people.

Oh yeah. We call those camp potatos. They are great cooked over a bed of coal in a fire. Wrap a steak up the same way. Good eats on a camping trip

When my son was little (many, many moons ago) I made volcano potatoes. Basically mound mashed potatoes into a volcano 🌋shape. Poke a hole in the middle with a spoon handle. Fill hole with cheese sauce. Drizzle some of the cheese sauce down the sides and bake. The outside gets a little crispy and the cheese sauce gets bubbly. It's fun for kids.

Another thing we made was Duchess Potatoes. Which if I recall right was leftover mashed potato's, grated onion, egg white for binder. Pipe little mounds or scoop spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake till crispy. It seemed like the precursor to tater tots. It also made a cute topping for meat pies or casseroles.

Another thing we made was Duchess Potatoes. Which if I recall right was leftover mashed potato's, grated onion, egg white for binder. Pipe little mounds or scoop spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake till crispy. It seemed like the precursor to tater tots. It also made a cute topping for meat pies or casseroles.
That is true potato creativity!! Thanks for sharing!!

One of my favorites is country style potatoes.

The way I cook them I got from a cooking show on tv some years ago. I slice the potato into round slices fairly thinly and then boil until about ready to break, but not quiet.

While doing this, I brown thin onion slices in olive oil in a pan and then set the slices aside in a bowl.

When the potato slices are starting to get tender, I remove them from the boiling water and spread them out over the bottom of the pan, add salt and pepper, and then layer the onion slices on top. And then fry until the potato slices are starting to crisp.

There's also fondant potatoes which I have yet to try. People who have eaten them seem to love them.

One thing I've heard of but never tried is potato candy. Has anyone here tried it?
I used to clean for a lady that made potato candy. All I know is that it had sugar and peanutbutter in it. She made them into about 4×4" squares, looked like little sandwiches. She's gone now, I never got the recipe!

Nuke or boil 4 large potatoes.
lightly mash and stir in 1 cup of cubed American cheese.
add 1/2 cup of crushed bacon and the finely chopped greens of one green onion and head.
Lightly drizzle in heavy cream or butter.

Back