How many ways to fix taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've eaten tater tots, but I have never thought to buy some at the grocery store, let alone get them home and cook them.

(Ok, I know this is not what y'all were looking for, but can you tell I peeled too many taters as a kid?)

You peeled potatoes? In the house I grew up in, that was women's work! :dunno: While I have never been a women's libber, I never agreed with that idea for a number of reasons!

You peeled potatoes? In the house I grew up in, that was women's work!

I have peeled 10,000 potatoes. My mom would sit my down at the garbage can with a peeler and a bucket and tell me to go to work. She used to tell us all the time, "Self sufficiency is the greatest of all skills. And it comes with knowing how to do a whole lot of things for yourself."

I have peeled 10,000 potatoes. My mom would sit my down at the garbage can with a peeler and a bucket and tell me to go to work. She used to tell us all the time, "Self sufficiency is the greatest of all skills. And it comes with knowing how to do a whole lot of things for yourself."
And this is one reason my brothers don't cook. One brother, divorced forever, would usually get a hot dog, chips, Mountain Dew from 7-11 for almost every meal of the day. I've never known him to cook.

And this is one reason my brothers don't cook. One brother, divorced forever, would usually get a hot dog, chips, Mountain Dew from 7-11 for almost every meal of the day. I've never known him to cook.

My Mom told me I could stop helping in the kitchen when I was old enough to hunt and clean game and I could could an entire Thanksgiving dinner by myself. Both of those things happened when I was 12 years old. But by the time I was 17 and living on my own, I was right back to cooking for myself. Fortunately I had not forgotten all of those lessons in the kitchen. Now she comes to my house and has me cook for her.

This is also reason number 5 that I am married to the woman I am married to.

Last edited:
I have peeled many a potato, and never considered it woman's work. Never seemed to stop any GI's that were on KP. Woman's work was a term that was NEVER used in our house. Still isn't. Mom was a wizard with a paring knife. I never mastered that skill. I had to use a peeler.

Baked potatoes are still my favorite. Loaded up with obscene amounts of everything; the next thing you will hear is your veins slam shut. I never met a potato I didn't like.

Me too.
She would hand me a 10# bag of taters and a peeler at least once a week.
Bear in mind, 8 people sat down at that dinner table every day for supper.
Everybody had all been working the whole day and were really hungry
Yummy.gif
We were largely self-sufficient except for flour, sugar and spuds.
I longed for the day I would never have to peel another tater.
They have machines that do that today.
If they didn't, I would have invented onelightbulb

I know there lots of ways to fix taters , and I love em all.

I gotta try this one.
View attachment 38292
What y'all got to try ?

Jim
I will be making those in my air fryer tomorrow.
My wife makes the best potato salad ever.
A doctor I knew put mustard on his baked potato. I said that was weird and he said to try it. It was actually pretty good but I still use butter.
French fries with mayonnaise, not catsup.
Starting to sound like Bubba from Forrest Gump. :)

Tater-Tots.
I use a sharp pair of scissors to open the plastic bags these come in.
Pour them onto a cookie sheet and slide them in the oven:
View attachment 38402
Add these in a second cookie sheet and discover they have the same baking time:woo hoo::
View attachment 38403

Use Honey Hickory BBQ sauce instead of ketchup to dip 'em in.
(sneak some salt on the tots if mama ain't watchin')
Who needs Sonic anyway!:lil guy:

(Ok, I know this is not what y'all were looking for, but can you tell I peeled too many taters as a kid?)

Hey there is Larry the Cable Guy's son. Tater Tot

I've eaten tater tots, but I have never thought to buy some at the grocery store, let alone get them home and cook them.

You peeled potatoes? In the house I grew up in, that was women's work! :dunno: While I have never been a women's libber, I never agreed with that idea for a number of reasons!

I love tots... it's the only reason I stop at the Sonic Drive-In. I hate curly fries, Arby's or anyone elses...

I wish I had been able to peel potatoes in boot camp when I served my week of kitchen duty...

Instead 2 other guys and I were in a closed room with 400lbs of onions to chop everyday... No need to cry for me... It was long ago. 😭

I love tots... it's the only reason I stop at the Sonic Drive-In. I hate curly fries, Arby's or anyone elses...

I wish I had been able to peel potatoes in boot camp when I served my week of kitchen duty...

Instead 2 other guys and I were in a closed room with 400lbs of onions to chop everyday... No need to cry for me... It was long ago. 😭
You must have done something to have earned that privilege!

You must have done something to have earned that privilege!

Nope... just luck of the draw, Everyone got kitchen duty, the guy in charge never looked up from his clipboard, just pointed... You, You and You - potatoes... You, You and You - carrots... You, You and You - onions...

I was the lucky one of us onions guys... some putz on carrots cut himself badly and I was pulled off onions on the 3rd day and assigned to carrots. dancing chicken

Onion duty was the worst... even with a 5 minute break every 15minutes. It was several years before I ate onions again.

Last edited:
Tots, French fries, curly fries, medallions, baked, mashed, scalloped, boiled...I love 'em all. But Grandma's "raw fried" taters hold a special place in my heart. Peel the taters, and cut into pieces about 1/2 inch thick by about 3/4 inch wide and long. Fry 'em up in real butter (oil works too, but come on - if you're frying potatoes, might as well go all out.) Add your meat - beef, pork, chicken, or especially fresh fish. It makes for a taste of heaven...

Nope... just luck of the draw, Everyone got kitchen duty, the guy in charge never looked up from his clipboard, just pointed... You, You and You - potatoes... You, You and You - carrots... You, You and You - onions...

I was the lucky one of us onions guys... some putz on carrots cut himself badly and I was pulled off onions on the 3rd day and assigned to carrots. dancing chicken

Onion duty was the worst... even with a 5 minute break every 15 minutes. It was several years before I ate onions again.
There are some tips for making cutting up onions not so bad. If I remember correctly, putting a piece of bread in your mouth helps. I know there are other remedies to the problem, just don't remember them now.

There are some tips for making cutting up onions not so bad. If I remember correctly, putting a piece of bread in your mouth helps. I know there are other remedies to the problem, just don't remember them now.

Where were you 40 years ago? 😁

These days there is probably some computerized machine where the veggie is poured in the top... select what is needed on a keypad and presto! Out pours chopped, diced, sliced or whatever.

Edit to add... My fry press, it makes beautiful french fries. Heavy duty, multiple die's for making fries different thicknesses. I like skinny fries so I use the 1/4 inch die. The suction feet are great, sometimes almost to good, on certain surfaces it's a pain to get it unstuck. Best of all.. it's easy to disassemble for cleaning.

fries (2) sm.JPG
fries (3) sm.JPG

Last edited:
Tater-Tots.
A best way is to put them in an Air Fryer. They come out crispy in about 10 minutes.

I bought my wife one of those power peelers and she uses it every time she peels potatoes.
I also bought her a vegetable dicer so she can cook potatoes without ever using a knife. Her arthritic hands appreciate that.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HC7BNJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71PT4DbPMWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
That thing would be nice to prep veggies for freezing.

Where were you 40 years ago? 😁

These days there is probably some computerized machine where the veggie is poured in the top... select what is needed on a keypad and presto! Out pours chopped, diced, sliced or whatever.

Edit to add... My fry press, it makes beautiful french fries. Heavy duty, multiple die's for making fries different thicknesses. I like skinny fries so I use the 1/4 inch die. The suction feet are great, sometimes almost to good, on certain surfaces it's a pain to get it unstuck. Best of all.. it's easy to disassemble for cleaning.

View attachment 38459View attachment 38460
That looks like a heavy duty tool! I wonder if it could be used to cut up carrots? I would run a bunch of carrots through and then cross cut them into the same size the other direction, blanch and freeze them for soups and other dishes.

I don't like Arby's curly fries.

I do like their Fish sammich.

Jim
More than twenty years ago, I gave up fries in general. I have only made them at home a couple times in my life. I understand that they are a common way to cook potatoes. We didn't have them when I was growing up, because we had potatoes in many other forms. Do I ever eat them? Yes, but rarely. I have been known to go to Arby's, order a couple sandwiches, water to drink. Buns from the sandwich go in the trash and I eat the meat.

That looks like a heavy duty tool! I wonder if it could be used to cut up carrots? I would run a bunch of carrots through and then cross cut them into the same size the other direction, blanch and freeze them for soups and other dishes.

I ran some apples through it for a fruit salad once, did fine. I don't see why it wouldn't cut carrots. It is heavy duty. Thats one of the reasons I bought it. I've tried plastic veggie processors but they just seem flimsy. I'm usually afraid it'll break and I'll lose half my fingers.

You can always email the company if you have questions...
https://westonbrands.com/french-fry-cutters

I ran some apples through it for a fruit salad once, did fine. I don't see why it wouldn't cut carrots. It is heavy duty. Thats one of the reasons I bought it. I've tried plastic veggie processors but they just seem flimsy. I'm usually afraid it'll break and I'll lose half my fingers.

You can always email the company if you have questions...
https://westonbrands.com/french-fry-cutters
Thank you. I wondered where and how to get one. I would think that people who do lots of freezing, canning and dehydrating could use one for many things.

@CountryGuy Tators with shrimp, Tators with corn, Tators with lemon, Tators with jalapeno's...
shrimp-boil-4-sma-jpg.38509
HEY! That's our Cajun stuff!
You left out 'taters & gator'.

Yeah, we eat dat!
crawfish-boil-cajun-rocket-pot-recipe-step5.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back