How many ways to fix taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned, seasoned & drained
  • 2-3 c of canned (drained) or frozen vegetable of choice: green beans, corn, peas or mixed vegetables (optional)
  • 3 lb frozen tater tots
  • 1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 1/2 c milk
  • 8-12 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE
  1. Spread meat into a 13×9 greased casserole dish.
  2. At this point you can add a layer of your optional vegetable of choice.
  3. Cover with tater tots.
  4. Combine the soups & milk.
  5. Pour evenly over the tater tots.
  6. Bake for 45 minutes at 350′. Add the cheese & bake for 10-15 more minutes.
FB_IMG_1585700843730.jpg

Jim

INGREDIENTS
  • 2-3 c of canned (drained) or frozen vegetable of choice: green beans, corn, peas or mixed vegetables (optional)
  • 3 lb frozen tater tots
  • 1 1/2 c milk
View attachment 38526
Jim
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 lb frozen tater tots
  • 1 1/2 c milk
View attachment 38526
Jim
Mrs makes this and is a hit with our young'ns she usually goes with green beans as it seems to be the veg she gets the least grumblings over.

I don't think I've ever had tator tot casserole. It must be good, @phideaux, or you wouldn't have shared the recipe.

I had it at a church potluck once, it was very good.
Not sure if this recipe is exactly the one I had, but similar.

Jim

My school cafeteria used to serve tater tot casserole. We had it at least 6-8 times a year for my entire K-12 education. I don't know what their recipe was, but it was basically ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup, onions, and corn with a row of tater tots on top. There was no cheese in or on it. I don't remember hating it, but it was not my favorite either.

I do have a friend who baked tater tots in the oven according to package directions. She made them at the same time she makes the breaded fish fillets, such as Gortons. Fish sticks would probably work as well. It was a frequent meal at her house, but I am not sure now, as they are or were Keto last I heard.

(Ok, I know this is not what y'all were looking for, but can you tell I peeled too many taters as a kid?)
I peeled lots of potatoes as well. When I arrived at daughters for Thanksgiving this year, there was a young man, maybe in his mid 20's, peeling the potatoes. He was new to the area, but a Rugby player, like a few others were, so invited and included. I had the feeling that he had never peeled a potato before, but I didn't say anything. He was slow. I remember my uncle telling me that one of his first jobs was in a restaurant where he washed dishes and peeled potatoes. He challenged himself to peel the potatoes as fast as he could. After he told me that, I too challenged myself to peel potatoes as fast as I could. I also like to use a particular potato peeler that is like the one we had growing up. A paring knife is not the best for me because I take too much potato with the peelings.

I'm going to say this again. An air fryer is the very best way to cook fish sticks and tater tots. We have 2 air fryers and use them both a lot. If something can be microwaved or baked chances are it can be cooked in the air fryer as fast or faster and come out better.
You can buy a stove with a convection ability and someone pointed out that that is actually the same as an air fryer. I want to get a new stove, and that is something that I want, convection, so that I do not need a separate air fryer. Daughter has an air fryer and uses it frequently, as well as her instant pot. How did we live without such things for so long?

Last edited:
Mashed - I like 'em creamy. I use lots of milk and some butter, and I lay the mixer to them until the texture is almost as if they've been whipped. No chunks in my mashed taters.

But my favorite is what my grandmother called "raw fried potatoes". Cut into pieces 1/2 inch or a little less thick by about 3/4 inch. Then melt a whole bunch of butter in the pan and dump them in. Stir and turn frequently. They come out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Oil works too but butter tastes way better...

Mashed taters are really good Creamy is fine, but I don't mind a few little chunks either.
Fried taters are high on the list too. Love baked taters. Roasted are good, but not my favorites.
My favorite is probably Escalloped. But being a tater lover from way back I don't think I've ever had any bad taters.

I peeled lots of potatoes as well. When I arrived at daughters for Thanksgiving this year, there was a young man, maybe in his mid 20's, peeling the potatoes. He was new to the area, but a Rugby player, like a few others were, so invited and included. I had the feeling that he had never peeled a potato before, but I didn't say anything. He was slow. I remember my uncle telling me that one of his first jobs was in a restaurant where he washed dishes and peeled potatoes. He challenged himself to peel the potatoes as fast as he could. After he told me that, I too challenged myself to peel potatoes as fast as I could. I also like to use a particular potato peeler that is like the one we had growing up. A paring knife is not the best for me because I take too much potato with the peelings.
Weedy, you are making me SO HUNGRY today!!

Mashed taters are really good Creamy is fine, but I don't mind a few little chunks either.
Fried taters are high on the list too. Love baked taters. Roasted are good, but not my favorites.
My favorite is probably Escalloped. But being a tater lover from way back I don't think I've ever had any bad taters.
You are my brother!!!

Mashed - I like 'em creamy. I use lots of milk and some butter, and I lay the mixer to them until the texture is almost as if they've been whipped. No chunks in my mashed taters.

But my favorite is what my grandmother called "raw fried potatoes". Cut into pieces 1/2 inch or a little less thick by about 3/4 inch. Then melt a whole bunch of butter in the pan and dump them in. Stir and turn frequently. They come out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Oil works too but butter tastes way better...
❤️💗❤️💗

I like mashed potatoes this way as well, with lots of butter in them and lots of milk. I don't want them to be stiff.

Raw fried potatoes is something we had growing up and my daughter loves them. I love them when they get crisp and brown.

An old chef friend of mine, not many alive that even remember him, was in the Army when the potato peeler was invented. He managed to get one of the very early models. He was on KP and the mess sergeant got irritated with him and sent him into the back room to peel #100 of potatoes. He knocked them off as fast as he could, and then went back to the Sgt. and told him he was done. The sergeant called him a liar. They both went into the back room where the mess sergeant was impressed and asked him how he did it. My buddy was offered to be released from KP if he surrendered the potato peeler, which he, of course, did expeditiously.

An old chef friend of mine, not many alive that even remember him, was in the Army when the potato peeler was invented. He managed to get one of the very early models. He was on KP and the mess sergeant got irritated with him and sent him into the back room to peel #100 of potatoes. He knocked them off as fast as he could, and then went back to the Sgt. and told him he was done. The sergeant called him a liar. They both went into the back room where the mess sergeant was impressed and asked him how he did it. My buddy was offered to be released from KP if he surrendered the potato peeler, which he, of course, did expeditiously.
I don't know what works for others, but this style works for me. The current price on the River (amazon) is $10.99. That seems high. The one I have is decades old and still works.

potato peeler.jpg

I'm going to say this again. An air fryer is the very best way to cook fish sticks and tater tots. We have 2 air fryers and use them both a lot. If something can be microwaved or baked chances are it can be cooked in the air fryer as fast or faster and come out better.

I second this!
Before the 'vid, my husband got a bonus from his employer where you pick out something out of a catalog. He picked an air fryer. It's a cheap little thing, and the handles broke off right away - but boy do we use that thing to death! No idea how we got by without one. 😂

I second this!
Before the 'vid, my husband got a bonus from his employer where you pick out something out of a catalog. He picked an air fryer. It's a cheap little thing, and the handles broke off right away - but boy do we use that thing to death! No idea how we got by without one. 😂
The Princess got a Power XL that is great but the cooking zones vary. She tried bacon in 2 trays and the top was perfect but the bottom was burnt.

Ben

Latest posts

Back