How many ways to fix taters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know there lots of ways to fix taters , and I love em all.

I gotta try this one.
FB_IMG_1585448782792.jpg

What y'all got to try ?

Jim

offspring have grown fond of preparing taters thus:
small red taters, cut in sixths, add carrots, also cut in chunks, optional broccoli.
Mix in bowl with smattering of olive oil and a salt and garlic seasoning mix. Spray baking sheet with Pam olive oil, bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until desired tenderness.

offspring have grown fond of preparing taters thus:
small red taters, cut in sixths, add carrots, also cut in chunks, optional broccoli.
Mix in bowl with smattering of olive oil and a salt and garlic seasoning mix. Spray baking sheet with Pam olive oil, bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until desired tenderness.

We do the same with tater, onions, & parsnips. Good stuff. We've also added Brussel Spouts.

I can never find parsnips.
Ya know the deli tater salads? Never have liked them. Anybody want to share their tater salad recipes?
I never measure anything when I make mine.
7 or 8 taters
2-3 sticks of celery, minced or chopped
Chopped Vidalia onion if you like onion
Hard-boiled egg chopped if you like that sort of thing
In a little jar mix up: dollop or two of mayo (I go for 1 1/2)
Squirt or two of mustard
Lots of chopped fresh dill
Tablespoon or 2 of vinegar

Ya know the deli tater salads? Never have liked them. Anybody want to share their tater salad recipes?
7 or 8 taters
Squirt or two of mustard
My grandma always put chopped green olives and dill pickle relish in hers. Everyone always raved about how good it was.

I love home fries for breakfast in winter... I dice them up then par-boil for 2 minutes, drain... I fry them in equal parts real butter and bacon grease about 4min, turn them an fry another 4min. 2 minutes before they are done I sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder and cilantro. I had them down pat on my old stove but haven't gotten the hang of my new stove yet. I blink and they turn out extra crispy. :(

Last edited:
The only potato dish I really miss since giving them up is my Mom's creamed peas and potatoes. We used to ham them along side pan fried pork chops or German sausage.

peas-potatoes1.jpg

Potatoes are my friend and I never met a potato I didn't like! One of the easiest ways I fix them when I want quick and easy is to cook them in a pot with green beans and some onions. If I've had left over ham, I've cubed it and dropped that in with the potatoes and green beans for a one pot meal. Make a pan of cornbread with it and that's some real comfort food. ;)

Well, I never met a potato I didn't like, and neither has my daughter. A baked potato can be a meal for her. We love them mashed, scalloped, fried raw, fried potatoes that had been boiled previously, potato salad, potato latkes, potato dumplings and potato soup.

That said, the only potatoes I've had in my home in the last decade, were for a holiday meal, or the ones that are dried in packages that I got on discount at the store, still in the pantry. There are two kinds of instant potatoes from the LDS storehouse. The potato pearls are so good, far superior to the potato flakes. When prepared, they can be as delicious as mashed potatoes made from fresh cooked potatoes.

From the Molly Goldberg Jewish Cookbook

Potato Latkes

4 potatoes, peeled, grated, and drained
1 onion, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons potato starch or flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shortening or oil

Mix the potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, egg, potato starch or flour, and baking powder until very smooth.

Heat the shortening or oil in a skillet. Drop the mixture into it by the tablespoonful. Fry until browned on both sides. Drain well.

Serve with applesauce or sour cream.
-------------------------
There are many great recipes for potato soup. This one gets talked about years later. It has caused people to put on weight they weren't trying to put on.

Potato Soup

This is a recipe I got from a former assistant of mine. I haven't made it in years because I seldom eat potatoes, but it is an excellent recipe. I am also careful of the amount of sodium I eat, and the soup mix has more than enough!

4 cups peeled & cubed potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup water
1 package Home Style Vegetable Soup (Mrs. Grass) (check out the sodium in this! No other salt needed in this recipe)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 to 3 cups milk
8 ounces Velveeta cheese or grated cheddar cheese

In a kettle, combine the vegetables and broth. Cook to boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

In a separate pan, melt the butter. Blend the flour, some salt and pepper and milk. Cook until it thickens, stirring constantly. Add this to the potato mixture. Heat to a slight boil.

When serving, garnish with cheese and parsley.

Optional--add brocolli and shredded carrots to the vegetables. The shredded carrots are great in it.

Last edited:
7 or 8 taters
Squirt or two of mustard
I'm with you. I have never had a deli potato salad that hit the spot. I never measure when I make it either. I use any onion I have on hand, usually yellow or red and I like a lot of it. What I do find when making salads with mayonnaise is that the leftovers are usually dry. I don't know what happens, do the potatoes absorb the moisture? I always add more mayo on the second day to potato and macaroni salads. I haven't used dill in my potato salad, but I do add a few hard boiled eggs. No pickles or relish in mine either. Black and green olives are added to my macaroni salads.

I haven't made potato salad in years, due to the carbs, but I love my homemade potato salad.

Last edited:
Now Weedy tater soup is a whole different ball game. More goodness and flavor. Great winter dish. Wife also makes tater cakes when we have left over mashed spuds.
I've made potato cakes with leftover mashed potatoes as well, but that was before daughter was born. She loves her mashed potatoes with good homemade gravy and will eat all the leftovers that way. Add a little cooked frozen corn on top of the mix and it is one of her favorite meals.

I don't make potato salad because I can't stop eating it. It's pretty simple and doesn't have onions. I mostly just use pickles, boiled eggs, celery and a little jar of pimiento if I have it. Maybe fry a few strips of bacon and crumble them into the potatoes. The dressing is what really makes it, though, because I mix ranch dressing and brown mustard together. I don't measure it but it's probably about half and half, maybe a little more ranch than mustard. I can make a big bowl of that and give everybody a spoon then stand back out of the way.

I gotta tell ya, about when we use to go fishing in Canada every year for 10 days.
We had a big skillet, about 2 feet dia.
We would chop up potatoes , and onions , enough to fill that skillet everyday and fry them over open coals , then fry it full of fish..now that was heaven.

Wife almost always chopped onions in our fried taters at home.

Gooood

Jim

I used to make cold mashed tater sandwiches when i was growing up with left overs. Loved them with mayo and mustard. Any more it's hard for me to stay out of the mashed spuds to have any leftovers. They are just TOO GOOD

Now and then I still like cold buttered potato and cold grits I can eat with a fork right out of fridge placed on a saucer.

I gotta tell ya, about when we use to go fishing in Canada every year for 10 days.
We had a big skillet, about 2 feet dia.
We would chop up potatoes , and onions , enough to fill that skillet everyday and fry them over open coals , then fry it full of fish..now that was heaven.

Wife almost always chopped onions in our fried taters at home.

Gooood

Jim
This is great, and even better when they are fried in bacon grease.

Tater-Tots.
I use a sharp pair of scissors to open the plastic bags these come in.
Pour them onto a cookie sheet and slide them in the oven:
TaterTots.JPG

Add these in a second cookie sheet and discover they have the same baking time:woo hoo::
MiniCorndogs.JPG

Use Honey Hickory BBQ sauce instead of ketchup to dip 'em in.
(sneak some salt on the tots if mama ain't watchin')
Who needs Sonic anyway!:lil guy:

(Ok, I know this is not what y'all were looking for, but can you tell I peeled too many taters as a kid?)

Last edited:
Back