How much TP do you need?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Now you don't need to guess! Nor do you have to fight for that 12 pack of two-ply by hip checking an elderly woman into the moist towelette shelf. Instead you can just use this handy dandy calculator to determine your wiping needs. 😋

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

virus.jpg

I'm sure when people run out, they'll use other paper products and totally clog their toilets. I have already warned the grandkids not to do this. I haven't counted our rolls, but there are 6 of us here. Was able to order flannel material yesterday on Amazon in case we need to use that. I have cotton material, but think flannel will be better.

I'm sure when people run out, they'll use other paper products and totally clog their toilets. I have already warned the grandkids not to do this. I haven't counted our rolls, but there are 6 of us here. Was able to order flannel material yesterday on Amazon in case we need to use that. I have cotton material, but think flannel will be better.

I have read a few places that this is already happening. Blue shop towels, wet wipes, paper towels, etc. are all clogging up sewers. If people think the toilet paper shortage is awful, wait until they get to experience sewer back ups or having to go into a bucket.

I mentioned this previously but one Costco got three containers full of TP and sold out in a day. They got the 3 containers Thursday and on Friday at noon there wasn't even an empty spot on the floor where they had been.

Since we have our own septic field and know where our flushes go, we'd never put anything down the system that won't decompose. I don't know how much TP we need, but I'm pretty sure we have enough for a few years. I always bought extra when it was on sale so I have a nice stockpile. Who knew I might someday have to guard it? It's kinda funny......just a month ago someone would've looked at the stack up against the wall and thought I was nuts.......now, not so much.;)

Daughter and I figured a roll a week per person, on average. Two packages from Costco of 30 lasts one person more than a year. One package lasts two people almost 4 months. I have often bought another package when I was at Costco, in spite of not needing it immediately. Glad for the extra Charmin and glad for the industrial type tp that I have as well.

Daughter and I figured a roll a week per person, on average. Two packages from Costco of 30 lasts one person more than a year. One package lasts two people almost 4 months. I have often bought another package when I was at Costco, in spite of not needing it immediately. Glad for the extra Charmin and glad for the industrial type tp that I have as well.
This is also my estimate - 1, two ply roll per person per week. Actual use should be a bit less by careful conservation.

Current count - 24 double rolls, 7 triple rolls, 7 standard rolls, all top shelf name brand stuff. But it's getting worse out there. Walmart had no TP, wipes, Kleenex, or paper towels today...

Since we have our own septic field and know where our flushes go, we'd never put anything down the system that won't decompose. I don't know how much TP we need, but I'm pretty sure we have enough for a few years. I always bought extra when it was on sale so I have a nice stockpile. Who knew I might someday have to guard it? It's kinda funny......just a month ago someone would've looked at the stack up against the wall and thought I was nuts.......now, not so much.;)

I did a rough count years ago and decided that since TP seemed to go up $1 per year to just buy a bunch and stack it up. I had a stack in our spare bedroom and my niece came over to spend the night and said it freaked her out. Talked to her last night and mentioned that. Ask her if she still thought it was strange. She said not so much now.

I have t.p. stashed around my place. I told daughter that I found a large package of Charmin in the garage and that she could have it. She was here to see if she could start her 914 and grabbed it from the garage with a squeal of glee. Who knew toilet paper would be a thing that would cause so much stress and happiness?

I have worked out @Sentry18 that the calculator you put up does not go high enough for the amount of rolls of toilet paper we have stored :LOL: .

I agree with @WVDragonlady us ladies do use far more TP.

Wife has IBS. Somedays she uses much more than others. Sometimes hard to get a count on that. I error on the too much side, by a fair amount.

In relation to how much TP do you need I would say that depends on medical conditions etc and if you stock up more than your own needs and account for a few others as we do.

The average use from googling is supposed to be an average of 2 rolls per person per week so we go by that. If you use less well and good you have more than ample supplies. We always account for stocking more of necessities in every field as things like TP, shampoo, conditioners and soap don't go off and last a long time.

I have t.p. stashed around my place. I told daughter that I found a large package of Charmin in the garage and that she could have it. She was here to see if she could start her 914 and grabbed it from the garage with a squeal of glee. Who knew toilet paper would be a thing that would cause so much stress and happiness?

i take it that she had xmas in march.lol

I have put many phone books that I was not using in with my preparedness items in the basement. I have a good amount of them and sometimes questioned myself, if this would ever be a necessity. I know they would work, but are not preferable to tp. I have often thought I would never have the need to use them. Maybe that will change.

I have never used a page from a phone book or catalog but have read about using them. If you use a page from the phone book, from what I've read, you take the page and wad it up, open it back up, and wad it up again a few times. This softens the page up. I think I should try softening up a page, just for the sake of experimentation. I won't be using it, just seeing how well that really works. I also wonder if getting a page wet and letting it dry in advance would soften it up or make it crisper? Anyone else have some phone books stashed or available for the next level?

Latest posts

Back