How much TP do you need?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really I didn't see any of those. I guess Seaars sold lots of things. We liked turning the pages and dreaming too.
Some people save everything...... I dug out an old catalog to find the monkey. Didn’t see donkeys in this issue, but there were motorcycles on the next page. Did you know you could even order a house? Everything in this book!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Some people save everything...... I dug out an old catalog to find the monkey. Didn’t see donkeys in this issue, but there were motorcycles on the next page. Did you know you could even order a house? Everything in this book!

No I didn'tknow you could order houses too. Or monkeys either. I think it was maybe 1959when we got the donkeys from the catalog.

I wanted to know How Much TP the average house hold needs: so I looked to the Toilet Paper People:
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Toilet paper manufacturer Georgia-Pacific LLC, which makes Quilted Northern and Angel Soft, culled data from the market research company IRI to figure the proper amount of toilet paper needed in the home.

“The average U.S. household (2.6 people) uses 409 equivalized regular rolls per year. Using our own calculations, staying at home 24-7 would result in ~40% increase vs. average daily usage,” a spokesman told TODAY in an email.

“Therefore, to last approximately 2 weeks, a 2-person household would need ~9 double rolls, or ~5 mega rolls. A 4-person household would need ~17 double rolls, or~ 9 mega rolls to last approximately 2 weeks.”
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Now the Prepper in me kicks in and I have to ask, how many rolls is a year's supply for 1 person:
1 person/year of TP is: 111 rolls or 4 of those Costco Bails, per person per year..... (If you are checking my math I always round up)
1624034284004.png

Now don't you feel so much better just knowing....

I wanted to know How Much TP the average house hold needs: so I looked to the Toilet Paper People:
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Toilet paper manufacturer Georgia-Pacific LLC, which makes Quilted Northern and Angel Soft, culled data from the market research company IRI to figure the proper amount of toilet paper needed in the home.

“The average U.S. household (2.6 people) uses 409 equivalized regular rolls per year. Using our own calculations, staying at home 24-7 would result in ~40% increase vs. average daily usage,” a spokesman told TODAY in an email.

“Therefore, to last approximately 2 weeks, a 2-person household would need ~9 double rolls, or ~5 mega rolls. A 4-person household would need ~17 double rolls, or~ 9 mega rolls to last approximately 2 weeks.”
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Now the Prepper in me kicks in and I have to ask, how many rolls is a year's supply for 1 person:
1 person/year of TP is: 111 rolls or 4 of those Costco Bails, per person per year..... (If you are checking my math I always round up)
View attachment 68259

Now don't you feel so much better just knowing....
Damn. Do people really [poop] that often? Do a lot of folks wpe their dog's but? Or is tp being used as a general purpose wipe? Whazzup?

In 30 years, We have never run out of TP, we do use a fair amount of baby wipes, for must everything.

I hate finding myself shorthanded on anything....
Driving across the desert, sign says 100 miles to the next service, I want a full tank (having a target is good, I want to have what I need to get to the other side).
Same goes for Water, Food, Medicine, and yes even TP, baby wipes , and paper towels have a target.

When I talk about holes, I am talking about shortages relative to my target, if I say I am aiming for 50% above, it is relative to my target.
If you are not aiming at something then you are just shooting in the dark....

And if you don't know where it is, how do you know you have it?

I have always had a rough estimate of rolls used per month. But I never thought of keeping a 3 month, or 6 month, or whatever month's supply on hand.

When the shortage hit, I was out of state. I only had a few rolls on hand and when my plane landed I happened to grab a 4 pack of Charmin at an all night gas station on the way home from the airport. After that I was able to pick it up here or there all across Colorado and Wyoming, or I was lucky enough to be in Walmart or the grocery store when there were a few packages on hand. So I stocked up. I haven't bought any butt wipe since about March and I haven't even put a dent in my supply. I estimate I can go a year and a half on what I've got now. That's a bit of overkill, but it's nice to know I've got it if I need it...

I figure 1 roll per week for me and two for the wife. That works out to 10 weeks per 30 roll Costco pack or five packs per year. I think I have left in a significant buffer.

During the TP dearth I mentioned to a Costco that I hoped that the people stocking up on TP would maintain their emergency stash level so as to never be caught up hit creek without TP.

When I had my heating business I got a lot of work from people that lived on the bottom half of the tank. I always told them that, once the tank is full, keeping the top half filled was cheaper in the long run, my bill being one example.

We generally have 2 "30 roll" packs in stock, plus whatever is "on the shelf" for use. When the shelf is empty, we restock with a 30 roll pack and put a new one on the list.

Same with paper towels, but one "in stock", plus whats on the shelf. I have lots of paper towel substitutes, but I prefer not to resort to the TP substitutes.

Back