How old are you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• Under 30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-40

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 41-50

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 51-60

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • 61-70

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 71 or over

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • How dare you even ask!?

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
On my next birthday I will turn 40. OK, OK, OK ... technically that's 0x40. Being an engineer, I report my age in hex (base 16). 40 sounds a lot better than 64 (decimal, base 10)!
For awhile my boss made me carry business cards labeling me a Field Service Engineer. Hah. Some engineer.
For awhile, when a woman asked me my age I responded 'Old in wisdom, young in vigor'. 100% unproductive.

Or the poor. Lol

I would like to live in the country but cant afford to
I lived most of my life in the country and I expect to return to it eventually, but small town living has got me a bit spoiled. I kind of like not having to clear 120 yards of snow to get out of my lane, or having to spend 3 hours a week mowing, or picking up branches all day after a storm. But somebody's going to have to care for the farm place when my elderly parents are no longer able, and I would guess it will be me since my siblings are where they want to be. It is what it is...and I'll accept it gladly. Seems like my peers all just want to sell their family farms when the time comes. I don't get it but it's not my business I guess...

I suspect to some extent, that this poll is more reflective of people who prefer forums over social media sites like Facebook. If I repeated this poll in a prepper page or a country living page on FB I bet there would be a lot more people in the 21-30 and 31-40 age groups. A whole lot more.

I suspect to some extent, that this poll is more reflective of people who prefer forums over social media sites like Facebook. If I repeated this poll in a prepper page or a country living page on FB I bet there would be a lot more people in the 21-30 and 31-40 age groups. A whole lot more.

I think this has a great deal to do with it.

Perhaps. But I suspect that among Gen Xers like me, there's quite a bit of overlap. I think Gen X are the ones who have somewhat given up on country life. Most of us didn't have as much rural influence as Boomers. Even in the farming community I come from, only the ones who took over the farms are still there. Almost everyone else has gone urban. And the Millennials/Gen Z groups aren't even trying to stay.

Perhaps. But I suspect that among Gen Xers like me, there's quite a bit of overlap. I think Gen X are the ones who have somewhat given up on country life. Most of us didn't have as much rural influence as Boomers. Even in the farming community I come from, only the ones who took over the farms are still there. Almost everyone else has gone urban. And the Millennials/Gen Z groups aren't even trying to stay.

I would submit that many of the off-grid livers and the country folk started out living in more urban areas as they worked, got married, had kids, etc. Then as life went on they grew to desire a life away from it all. Which I believe is the same thing happening today at perhaps a slightly reduced rate. We have lots of people join this forum who are 30-something 40-something who are looking for country property or just bought some and are looking for suggestions on how to secure it or what they should do next. And hobby farms and homesteads seem to sell quickly when they come on to the market, at least they do around here. I have had several officers take their early retirement around age 41-46 (20-25 years of service) and move out of Dodge just to escape people.

As much as I hate to admit it, you are probably right - at least to some degree. Seems like gen X ers are the last ones who grew up without cell phones and the last ones with any work ethic- and yes that's a generalization and yes exceptions, but as a generation true. Living rurally &/or sustainably looks too much like work to many young'ins.

I would submit that many of the off-grid livers and the country folk started out living in more urban areas as they worked, got married, had kids, etc. Then as life went on they grew to desire a life away from it all. Which I believe is the same thing happening today at perhaps a slightly reduced rate. We have lots of people join this forum who are 30-something 40-something who are looking for country property or just bought some and are looking for suggestions on how to secure it or what they should do next. And hobby farms and homesteads seem to sell quickly when they come on to the market, at least they do around here. I have had several officers take their early retirement around age 41-46 (20-25 years of service) and move out of Dodge just to escape people.

I see a slow ttend in the younger gens from age 25 to 30 going tiny house and suustainable living now so this may change plus on Fae Book when we were on there many in those age groups really liked out pic s of chickens, garden. We left FB about 4 years ago too much drama.

The chat about how old our resident internet princess is got me to wondering how old we all are. We have done this before but it's been a while. I made it a poll for those who want to maintain their OPSEC or have been lying to people for years. :p You can only vote one, but no one can see your vote. Of course if you want to comment about your specific age you can sure do that too!

Who is the "princess"?

Yep she's the princess. We all voted.
The rest of us -
oldboy1.gif

That was me princess...
Way back at PS.

I almost adopted you as my grand daughter.:huggs:

Ask Hashbrown about his under name... Peckerwood.

I was naughty back then...

Jim

That was you wasn't it. I'm still available for adoption.:ghostly:

Latest posts

Back