How Redneck are you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never picked wild blackberries, but I have picked service berries in the mountains of Colorado. I don't know that I could find them again though.
IMHO it is the same thing, if they were from your town & said service berries instead of Blackberries.
The country thing is picking wild grown fruit, not just blackberries.

I met this guy... talked with him several times at a bar his brother owned or lived at, unsure which.

rd kill.jpg

98% I hate turnips and can't drive a stick due to a medical condition.
There are turnips and turnips. My brother and I grew a few rows of purples when we lived in Colorado, in soil fertilized with well-aged goat manure. We enjoyed them, and so did a neighbor's horses.

The pickling may be about turnips. Picked eggs are country enough - unless they are pickled in the vinegar from a jar of pickled Polish sausage, which would make them bar food. Ah, the memories . . .
Breakfast from time to time, I liked the pickled eggs and beets together, there was this little hole in the wall joint that opened at 06:00, just as I got off work..... But that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

ever eat eggs cold pickled in beer with onion and pepper?

I have some beef sausages that have been pickled over two years, I wonder if they're yet good?

Stopped at a bar on the way duck hunting. My BIL bought the partial gallon jar of pickled eggs. It had about a dozen eggs left. We ate all the eggs and drank a lot of beer that evening and night.
I woke up around 2 AM and the dog was whining and scratching at the camper door wanting out. I couldn't blame him it was very odorous in the camper. The dog and I slept outside the rest of the night.
Pickled eggs are ok but balute is not something I would ever try.
DO NOT google a picture unless you have a strong stomach.
wiki
Balut is a Filipino term for a fertilized developing egg embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in South China and Southeast Asian countries, notably Cambodia and Vietnam. The length of incubation before the egg is cooked is a matter of local preference, but generally ranges between 14 and 21 days.

Breakfast from time to time, I liked the pickled eggs and beets together, there was this little hole in the wall joint that opened at 06:00, just as I got off work..... But that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Yep, long ago, far away. My life in my 20s and 30s was mostly wasted time. Don't really know if "I coulda been a contender", but I sure did blow any chance of it.

27. Oh well, reckon I still have some time.

Last edited:
40/40 I’m not a redneck I’m a hillbilly huge difference!
My thoughts exactly, except for the regional things, like native berries, and plants that grow locally,
Most of the list are survival skills, and they are manual transmissons, not stick shift:confused2:most shifters involve a stick of some sort.
A friend of mine is trying (not very hard ) to sell a dodge 4x4 with a ``cummins`` in it, every body i ask says , I `d buy it if it had a manual.
I like to tell people that a redneck is just an angry apprentice to a hillbilly.

I had cousins in the city & we would visit & walk to the Red & white store to get milk & bread, which was weird, because my mother made biscuits from scratch every day at home.

Back