How Redneck are you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We had horses when I grew up in the northern NC Piedmont. Tobacco was the #1 cash crop. Honeysuckle syrup & Blackberrys off briars were good summer snacks when playing in the woods & creek. Going to the weekly rodeo should be up there. I thought one day I would ride a bull. I haven’t yet.

- I’ve never owned a gun, went hunting or plucked a chicken.
- I’ve never tried frog legs or found ginseng.
- I didn’t know cars used to have a manual choke.
- Port-a-john’s don’t count as an outhouse.
- I can’t remember carving initials into a tree, though it sounds like something I would do.
- I haven’t spent time on a true animal farm so the bottle, rooster & eggs are out.

The rest, yes. Good memories
Frog legs were not good, at least in my memory.
It is more things like tractors and other farm equipment that had chokes. Older vehicles might have.
My parents finally got running water into the house when I was 4 or 5. Grandparents never had it. Outhouses are stinky!

Where does ginseng grow? We never had blackberries grow wild around where I've lived either.

It is more things like tractors and other farm equipment that had chokes. Older vehicles might have.
My parents finally got running water into the house when I was 4 or 5. Grandparents never had it. Outhouses are stinky!

Where does ginseng grow? We never had blackberries grow wild around where I've lived either.

My grandparents had a homestead in upstate New York. They had wild berries of all kinds growing on their property. My grandma use to give me a small pail and tell me to fill it. I'd run down to the lower field by the river and pick blueberries, gooseberries and blackberries. I never came back with raspberries mixed in though they grew down there too. I couldn't stop eating them. 😄

My grandparents had a homestead in upstate New York. They had wild berries of all kinds growing on their property. My grandma use to give me a small pail and tell me to fill it. I'd run down to the lower field by the river and pick blueberries, gooseberries and blackberries. I never came back with raspberries mixed in though they grew down there too. I couldn't stop eating them. 😄
I have sent the granddaughters of with baskets to collect black raspberries and they come back with empty baskets.

You shall not not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn

Or granddaughters that collect the berries

Ben

Frog legs actually taste like chicken. Rattlesnake on the other hand is more of a flaky white meat more like fish. We didn't have ginseng nor tobacco here either. I actually have a sorghum mill. The only one that I am aware of in this entire region although there may be a couple more. Haven't made sorghum in 50 years. Reading your replies I am trying to guess your age. You're younger than I but you have been exposed to the right things! lol

I just glanced at the list and I know I've already failed miserably 😏 oh well

So your parents actually did have different last names before they were married? Growing up not swapping slobbers with your cousin is something you may have missed? The true definition of country or redneck! That can't be a bad thing you know?

Frog legs actually taste like chicken. Rattlesnake on the other hand is more of a flaky white meat more like fish. We didn't have ginseng nor tobacco here either. I actually have a sorghum mill. The only one that I am aware of in this entire region although there may be a couple more. Haven't made sorghum in 50 years. Reading your replies I am trying to guess your age. You're younger than I but you have been exposed to the right things! lol
I don't usually tell my age, but I am retired and I am not 70 years old, yet.

Edit: I was raised by grandparents, and that is different sometimes in what you are exposed to.

We would go gather what we could with the grandparents in South Dakota. Wild plums, chokecherries, and horseradish. I was never sure if the horseradish that grew in the pasture had been planted by family, or if in fact it was wild. I just remember that some got dug up every year and it was ground up with the old fashioned meat grinder. That had to be done outdoors because of how strong the smell was.

Kind of like where ramps grow?
I can't answer that question because the forest critters ate all of the ramps I planted. But at that time I planted the ramps in a moist area while the ginseng has been growing a dryer area.

I will defer to those that know better.

Ben

Spring of ‘90 I relocated to LA, temporarily staying at the home of another engineer. The year before the automatic choke on my ‘78 Ford pickup quit working. I used a company vehicle so wasn’t keen on spending a lot of cash on the old ford. A new carb was $200, a manual choke conversion kit was $20. So I put on the manual choke.

A week after the move to LA I woke up to the sound of someone trying to start my old ford (just out side my bedrm window). They had flooded it! And it wouldn’t start. The thieves ran off when I turned on the outside lights…

The choke was setup for winter driving in Buffalo NY, not spring in southern CA… And it prevented my truck from being stolen.

Last edited:
[Stuff learned young] It is difficult to fill a quart pail with raspberries anyway. They are hollow, so pack down in the pail as it fills. It is logistically impossible to fill a quart pail with wild strawberries, because they are too damn small (and taste too good).

Lol. I really wasn't trying to ask you publicly, but your vehicles didn't have manual chokes? That reply threw me! lol
Well, the guys were the drivers. Girls got to drive when it was a necessity, and certainly were low man on the totem pole for driver options. I learned to drive in Drivers Ed. in h.s. and after that I drove tractors, and other farm equipment.

[Stuff learned young] It is difficult to fill a quart pail with raspberries anyway. They are hollow, so pack down in the pail as it fills. It is logistically impossible to fill a quart pail with wild strawberries, because they are too damn small (and taste too good).

Strawberries never grew there. The chipmunks ate the plants to the ground when ever one would sprout. My grandma would go to the 'pick-ur-own' farm for strawberries. I loved those trips as a kid. It meant strawberry jam and lots of sugary spoon licking.

Latest posts

Back