How Redneck are you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ones I ate had such a strong fishy taste. I like fish, but the frog legs were too much for me. It may have been more in my mind than in reality.

I have heard that an overnight soak in buttermilk will help with that. I don't have any personal experience but that is just what I have heard.

Yep, the old green chicken legs.... at grandma's house everything was either fish or chicken, she wasn't much of a cook and it was hard to tell what it really was... I didn't care much for those long bony fish either....

So where were the questions on eating crawdads or push starting a car with a manual transmission or riding a bull or drinking water that would burn with a blue flame???

I'm just saying, I agree that the list was a little on the short side.

I might be a redneck......

Only 38 out of 40.
8. Gathered wild ginseng?, I hunted it in North Carolina Mountains, but we only marked it for harvest in the Fall.
23. Smelled the scent of cured tobacco hanging in tobacco barn? I never worked with tobacco, cotton, soybeans or wheat, just corn & baled hay.
They forgot a lot like:
Dove & Quail hunting, never coon hunting.
Built rabbit box, made a cured cane pole fishing pole, built smoke house & used it, build a corn bin in corner of the barn. Butchered animals, Cinder block & tin BBQ rack, hog head cheese, Blood pudding, sausage making. Taming wild animals & reptiles as pets. Picking wild vegetables for cooking & eating. Working metal in hot coals & cutting trees for fence post, milking cows & making home made butter/ buttermilk or buttermilk biscuits.
Plowed a field with a donkey/mule & or a tractor, used a hoe in a garden. Buried a farm animal, cow & horse with a pick & shovel. Remove stumps & trees from a field, heated with wood only all winter & no air conditioner in summer, in a house that had no insulation of any kind & a tin roof. Slept under the stars with out a tent. Take or buy animals at a county sale barn. Did most of this before I was twelve years old.
P.S. Also milked a cow, raised on raw pure cows milk.

Last edited:
In America, the word redneck dates back to the 1800s, and in different parts of the country at different times, its meaning has shifted. Over the course of nearly 200 years, it has stood for the following:

• poor, Southern whites
  • a name “applied by the better class of people to the poorer [white] inhabitants of the rural districts”
  • a word used “to denigrate [white] farmers within their party who supported populist reforms”
  • white Presbyterians living in North Carolina (specific rednecks!)
  • Communists
  • a term black southerners used—alongside poor white trash, cracker, and peckerwood—to poke fun at poor white country folks
  • white coal miners who belonged to labor unions (in West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, western Pennsylvania, and southern Illinois and Indiana)
  • any white racist, regardless of his or her class position or birthplace
These are all pretty degrading characterizations and perhaps what most people have in mind when they hear the word redneck.

But according to Patrick Huber and Kathleen Drowne, the term—originally an allusion to the sunburned red necks of farmers—was not always used as a slur amongst whites. For example, wearing red neckties and kerchiefs to political rallies, some southerners claimed the label as a “badge of class pride for a county’s populist voters.”

Chic and Upscale Rednecks
In the 1970s, being a “redneck” became fashionable, and the term redneck chic, which seems to have little to do with outwardly disparaging race or class, was born. According to Patrick Huber, this is what was happening during the Carter presidency and afterward. He writes in “A Short History of Redneck: The Fashioning of a Southern White Masculine Identity:”

One of the redneck definitions come from a coal miner strike. One of the largest armed tussles in our history. Anyhoo the miners wore a red bandanna around thier neck as a means of idenification. If i could figure how to post a link i would.

One of the redneck definitions come from a coal miner strike. One of the largest armed tussles in our history. Anyhoo the miners wore a red bandanna around thier neck as a means of idenification. If i could figure how to post a link i would.

• white coal miners who belonged to labor unions (in West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, western Pennsylvania, and southern Illinois and Indiana)
You high light the link & hold ctrl key & c key
Then move to where you want the link & hold ctrl key & v key.

In America, the word redneck dates back to the 1800s, and in different parts of the country at different times, its meaning has shifted. Over the course of nearly 200 years, it has stood for the following:

• poor, Southern whites
  • a name “applied by the better class of people to the poorer [white] inhabitants of the rural districts”
  • a word used “to denigrate [white] farmers within their party who supported populist reforms”
  • white Presbyterians living in North Carolina (specific rednecks!)
  • Communists
  • a term black southerners used—alongside poor white trash, cracker, and peckerwood—to poke fun at poor white country folks
  • any white racist, regardless of his or her class position or birthplace
These are all pretty degrading characterizations and perhaps what most people have in mind when they hear the word redneck.

But according to Patrick Huber and Kathleen Drowne, the term—originally an allusion to the sunburned red necks of farmers—was not always used as a slur amongst whites. For example, wearing red neckties and kerchiefs to political rallies, some southerners claimed the label as a “badge of class pride for a county’s populist voters.”

Chic and Upscale Rednecks
In the 1970s, being a “redneck” became fashionable, and the term redneck chic, which seems to have little to do with outwardly disparaging race or class, was born. According to Patrick Huber, this is what was happening during the Carter presidency and afterward. He writes in “A Short History of Redneck: The Fashioning of a Southern White Masculine Identity:”
As an original 'born & raised' Alabama redneck I can tell you that the label was never successful as a derogatory term, quite the opposite. It meant someone who worked hard to make an honest living.
When country-folk that lived self-sustained lives on farms, visited town, they were labeled by the dark tan/sunburn on their necks from working outside every day.
There were way more of us than others. The opposite was a much more derogatory term:oops::
Is that guy a redneck? "Naw he ain't, he's a dam city-slicker!" :waiting:
The term redneck had more to do with the dialect we spoke than anything else.
Jeff Foxworthy made million$ sharing that with the rest of the country.
Do you think any one of us was offended?
Aw hail no!drink buddy

Pretty much redneck.
Should have added working out in the sun all day and really getting a "Red Neck", another ones to add are chasing neighbors loose cattle and wearing shovels into a fork shape by digging all of your ditches by hand, wish I'd have had the neighbors on both sides of us we do now, they both have Deere tractors with backhoes, sure would have made my life easier, then again, that kind of work kept me in good physical condition.

Also those manual trans were the best. Park on a hill and get it rolling and then pop the clutch. Those three on the tree could be a pain when the linkage got goofy
I've done the rolling start thing many a time. Learned real quick that you put it in 3rd gear, not 1st gear. I was pushing a truck to get it rolling once and the girl driving didn't know what she was doing. She put it in first and dumped the clutch...I think there's still an imprint of my face in that tailgate!

Eighteen teen sister had a three on the tree Nova & she would use a half inch X ten inch steel bar, to
straighten the linkage. One night she went under the hood to fix the linkage & a guy stepped up & ask what the bar was for. She answered "It defines "NO" for guys who are slower than normal."
She stored it under the driver seat.

I am confused, I thought "Cowboy" was the good guy who did the right thing.
My son went to Nine Quarter Ranch, they had a name for every one on the ranch, like a wrangler moved cows & horses. The only time someone was referred to as a cowboy is if they missed something or messed up. "You did not coil that rope correctly, you cowboyed it up."
A cowboy was an untrained ranch hand or so he said. As you know I never been out west, I was in
California for a week, I flew in &, out never seen a horse, then I drove to Missouri & back stayed in town most of the time. I was raised with horses & ponies & Saturday morning with Roy Rogers.
Just telling you what I was told. As for Hillbillies, they are like country folk, only they eat more bear then most of us sandlappers & low country people.

The strangest definition for a redneck was from a friend who lived in Alaska. According to her a redneck was a man who wore a shirt and tie. The red chafed neck was caused by the tight collar.

I am confused, I thought "Cowboy" was the good guy who did the right thing.
My son went to Nine Quarter Ranch, they had a name for every one on the ranch, like a wrangler moved cows & horses. The only time someone was referred to as a cowboy is if they missed something or messed up. "You did not coil that rope correctly, you cowboyed it up."
A cowboy was an untrained ranch hand or so he said. As you know I never been out west, I was in
California for a week, I flew in &, out never seen a horse, then I drove to Missouri & back stayed in town most of the time. I was raised with horses & ponies & Saturday morning with Roy Rogers.
Just telling you what I was told. As for Hillbillies, they are like country folk, only they eat more bear then most of us sandlappers & low country people.
Historically, New Hampshire's White Mountains folk were not your average country folk. The state motto, "Live Free or Die", came from their reputation.

Last edited:
My grandfather was black balled from the mines for trying to unionize the workers. There were gun fights that shot up the other half of the township from were I live.

Ben

29, kinda embarrassed until I realized the list was missing a lot of ones I would put in there. It was missing:
being from the south, anything about beer, anything about whiskey, etc....
But like Morgan said, I always thought of myself as more of a cowboy. And then there's the term 'hillbilly' which is different than 'redneck'. All hillbillies are probably rednecks, but all rednecks are not hillbillies....

It has a lot to do with what part of the country you are from, " wild ginseng " is only in a few parts of the states, but you can grow it other places, if the conditions are right, but then it is farmed, not wild.
Where milking a cow is a country thing, if you owned a milk cow or goat.
If we tried we could come up with 60 more items, like hunting & eating bear or moose, I have done nether of them.

Some things are more "country" than "redneck". For example, I was riding in a car with a friend in Minneapolis once. She got turned around and wasn't sure where she was, and I didn't know the city, but I knew we were south of the interstate. So I looked at the sky and said, turn right at the next major intersection. She said why? I said, it's 7pm, that means the sun is in the west, and we're driving directly toward the sun. If the interstate is north, we want to turn right to get to it.

She looked at me and said, how did you know that? I said if you're moving toward the sunset, you're always going west, no matter what. She had that look like there was a short circuit between her ears. Country logic eludes people who've never needed to use it...

Good one Spike. I have a similar story. We were taking a trip to Western Michigan and took I 74 across to 65. I decided to cut off on Hwy 3 and head north to Ft.Wayne and get on I 69 up there, bypassing Indianapolis. About 30 minutes up 3 we hit a detour due to a parade going on. It took us back east and we ended up finding hills in Indiana. Wife was PO'd and we were in the middle of NOWHERE. Anyhow I ended up following the sun back west and hit I 69. She wondered how I knew where to go. Know where the sun is and what direction you want to go.

Yes the sun is great! Where I grew up it was so dependable, 365 days a year you saw the sun. Then I moved east and got to see constant overcast sky's and trees getting in the way of the horizon... I did alright until that one evening and there was no sunset, the sky was gray and my new fangled GPS couldn't see the satellites for the trees. Yep, I was totally..... it took me 2 hours to walk 1 mile..... Today, I am all old school, carry a compass in all my gear...... maybe even an extra....

My buddy called me old fashioned, he said just put the app on you phone... then we went into the woods, you know "roaming" uses a lot more power..... That phone app doesn't work for crap when the battery's dead.....

A fun game called “How Redneck are you?”

Edited. I missed removing the part that my friend shared about growing up in Reno.

Let's see just how redneck you really are.
10 - 20: A little redneck
20 - 30: Pretty much redneck
30 - 40: Bonafide redneck or Appalachian!!

How many have you done?

Have you ever...
1. Owned pellet or BB gun as a kid?
2. Owned a real gun?
3. Shot a real gun?
4. Gone squirrel or rabbit hunting?
5. Gone fishing?
6. Owned or used a sling shot?
7. Plucked a chicken/turkey?
8. Gathered wild ginseng?
9. Eaten deer meat?
10. Eaten frog legs?
11. Fed a baby farm animal with a bottle?
12. Gathered fresh eggs?
13. Driven a stick shift?
14. Started a vehicle using a manual choke?
15. Rode in the back of a pick-up truck?
16. Shucked corn?
17. Waded barefoot in a creek?
18. Caught fireflies in a jar at night?
19. Tasted wild honeysuckle?
20. Gathered wild blackberries?
21. Used an outhouse?
22. Rode a horse?
23. Smelled the scent of cured tobacco hanging in tobacco barn?
24. Taken the ashes out of a wood stove or wood heater?
25. Carried in wood?
26. Walked barefoot down a gravel or dirt road?
27. Slept in a tent?
28. Been attacked by a rooster?
29. Eaten raw apple, potato or turnip off the blade of a pocket knife?
30. Dipped skoal or chewed chewing tobacco or (applied it to a BEE STING?)
31. Eaten homemade snow Ice Cream?
32. Used a pump to draw water from a well?
33. Been on a hay ride?
34. Jumped into a pile of raked leaves?
35. Carved your initials into a tree?
36. Sucked on a piece of water hose to siphon gas out of a gas tank?
37. Been shocked by an electric fence?
38. Split wood with an ax?
39. Hung laundry outside on a clothes line to dry?
40. Eaten fried bologna
There are only 4 I haven't done. I wouldn't call these redneck so much as rural. I guess when I think redneck, I think "cooked a meal on the engine block while on a road trip" or drove the lawn mower to town, or . . .

Latest posts

Back