How Russia Produces 40% Of It’s Food From Home Gardens

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
America use to be the same way.Good for Russia and pats of Africa who also grow most of their own food.

Are Americans really living longer because of their mostly natural food supply as youth? Or is it really because of advances in science, I think a little of both.
For the first time in American history our children will not live as long as we did.
Look at the forest before we interfered, nobody fertilizes them yet they have survived.Although we do produce more and in times of crop failures for whatever reason some help from science was good, but on the most part our food is not as healthy as it was when natural fertilization was used.

That evil President Putin giving Russian citizens 1 to 3 hectares of land on which they can build a home and garden on.

“In 2003 the Russian President signed into law a further “Private Garden Plot Act” enabling Russian citizens to receive free of charge from the state, plots of land in private inheritable ownership. Sizes of the plots differ by region but are between one and three hectares each [1 hectare = 2.2 acres]”

And yes, it sounds more like the America I remember back in the 1950’ and 60’s. Everyone had a garden, not all large but supplied enough for summer eating and some canning. It also sounds a lot like myself since the 1970’s… Except ‘the state’ did not give me land, I bought it and they let me rent it from them. If you think you own it, don’t pay taxes for a couple years and see who really owns that land.

This is not a bad thing, but it is probably done out of self defense. I don't think the Russian infrastructure and distribution network are nearly as reliable as ours. They would be much more likely to suffer from shortages. You grow your own or starve. That would make me plant a garden.

I do know that some young adults are going back to the sustainable lifestyle,not many but more than I've seen in past 50 years.
Only one of my grandkids our of 13 are trying to do this and she lives in Texas so has nobody to help them get started.

Too bad they don't live here we could teach them lots of things that takes years of practice and trial and faulure like gardening in field,raised beds, containers,hugelkulture and hydroponics . Also Aquaponis but down here its just too hot to raise fish for food and fertilizer , we tried it.

This is not a bad thing, but it is probably done out of self defense. I don't think the Russian infrastructure and distribution network are nearly as reliable as ours. They would be much more likely to suffer from shortages. You grow your own or starve. That would make me plant a garden.

i was going to or trying to go to russia to work in timber industry in early 90's. i can see now after more experience why russia did certain things and often still do today. the size and remoteness and distance to 'things' and 'services' is astounding. i see now why equipment often has a pony motor instead of or in addition to batteries. job sites so remote you just cant get replacement batteries easily and many other things i seen over the years.there farm tractors at least older ones have this feature as well.

russia is like alaska and after living in alaska and being around roads being built and timber jobs etc. its no wonder things dont progress a fast. in 94 road cost was $50,000 a mile for stone road. there was area needed crossing and they dumped off road truck full at start of bad area...after a dozen loads dumped and all disappeared and didnt go 10ft road was rerouted..lol

i was going to or trying to go to russia to work in timber industry in early 90's. i can see now after more experience why russia did certain things and often still do today. the size and remoteness and distance to 'things' and 'services' is astounding. i see now why equipment often has a pony motor instead of or in addition to batteries. job sites so remote you just cant get replacement batteries easily and many other things i seen over the years.there farm tractors at least older ones have this feature as well.

russia is like alaska and after living in alaska and being around roads being built and timber jobs etc. its no wonder things dont progress a fast. in 94 road cost was $50,000 a mile for stone road. there was area needed crossing and they dumped off road truck full at start of bad area...after a dozen loads dumped and all disappeared and didnt go 10ft road was rerouted..lol

Elkhound, what is a pony motor? And good thing your not in Russia now you'd be stuck.But then you never made that trip,huh?

That evil President Putin giving Russian citizens 1 to 3 hectares of land on which they can build a home and garden on.

“In 2003 the Russian President signed into law a further “Private Garden Plot Act” enabling Russian citizens to receive free of charge from the state, plots of land in private inheritable ownership. Sizes of the plots differ by region but are between one and three hectares each [1 hectare = 2.2 acres]”

And yes, it sounds more like the America I remember back in the 1950’ and 60’s. Everyone had a garden, not all large but supplied enough for summer eating and some canning. It also sounds a lot like myself since the 1970’s… Except ‘the state’ did not give me land, I bought it and they let me rent it from them. If you think you own it, don’t pay taxes for a couple years and see who really owns that land.

I think Putin also offered the Russian women money to have Russin babies too. Wonder how that worked out? I can't beleive Putin let in all those M.E. immigrants back in the 80s I think it was.Most of the Russ were wiped out by the Bolshevic then WW1 and WW22. Not many Russians left.

Elkhound, what is a pony motor? And good thing your not in Russia now you'd be stuck.But then you never made that trip,huh?
A pony motor is a small engine, relatively easy to start, that is used to start the main engine. It is more reliable than an electric starter, and cheaper in the long run.

@Meerkat various points of interest.
i was going to USSR in 90-91.if it had not collapsed and certain things happened there preventing it i probably would have gone. money and wilderness adventure were reasons.

Russian federation is not the former ussr country. things are changing slowly and steadily for the better for them and world.my 2cents.

with ussr collapse and all the little countries regaining independence or whatever break away states.pick your terms used. russia is sorta back to its original boundarys and now its population is 80something percent ethnic russians.

theres is a program there for young folks who will get married and have a traditional family where they get a home mortgage at a very low interest rate for life of loan.its to encourage growth of families.

an interesting sidenote..Putin has been giving back lands and buildings took under ussr back to the russian orthodox church.

no place is perfect..like i said i was after timber,money and adventure in remote and wilderness areas.

an idea of money. minimum wage was $3.80 an hour. daily wage for job i done was $300 a day back then.one guy done it said it was rough and grueling but worth it for adventure and the money back then.

Latest posts

Back